En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
JCranford
...of DFW

IMG_0434_zpscpus9qhw.jpg

On the way home from picking up this...

IMG_0424_zpsmgz09hpz.jpg

Might name him Bravo to commemorate the event!

Nice looking pup! Bravo does have a better ring to it than Metroplex.

DFW is actually a pretty impressive airport. Took me a learning curve to figure it out but once I did it's beautifully logical. Kind of like Undercity in World of Warcraft.

DFW is actually a pretty impressive airport. Took me a learning curve to figure it out but once I did it's beautifully logical. Kind of like Undercity in World of Warcraft.

I dunno. I was based in DFW, ATL, MCO, and DTW. IMO ATL laid out the best, MCO good, DTW better than DFW's layout. One does a tremendous amount of taxi touring at DFW, especially if ya have to land on the diagonal runways. The terminal layouts leave a lot to be desired too. Here's ATL:

8-atl-maps.jpg

Last edited:
Nice pix of both subjects.

Slight 7500...what combination of traffic flow, altitude, and course gives you best chance of doing this? Our planned course to OSH would have taken us right over DFW, but once we hit the SW edge of the DFW bravo we were told to fly 360, and never got close. I don't want to get in anybody's way or cause extra controller work, but I keep seeing pictures like this so I know it can be done.

I dunno. I was based in DFW, ATL, and DTW. IMO ATL laid out the best, DTW better than DFW's layout. One does a tremendous amount of taxi touring at DFW, especially if ya have to land on the diagonal runways. The terminal layouts leave a lot to be desired too. Here's ATL:

8-atl-maps.jpg

No argument, I haven't been to a lot of big airports to compare.

It happens often at ATL, especially if one is departing from PDK (NNE of ATL) for southerly headings ATC will cross the plane midfield. I've done it from PDK a few times. Safer midfield as they can't really do it for final and departure legs as airliners are descending to land and climbing out on departure.

My husband says Heathrow is the worst he's been to and he's been to China.

Nice pix of both subjects.

Slight 7500...what combination of traffic flow, altitude, and course gives you best chance of doing this? Our planned course to OSH would have taken us right over DFW, but once we hit the SW edge of the DFW bravo we were told to fly 360, and never got close. I don't want to get in anybody's way or cause extra controller work, but I keep seeing pictures like this so I know it can be done.

We depart Denton southbound occasionally and they always route us around. Today we were coming from the south VFR on FF. As we got close to the Bravo we were given a descent which would have put us through the clouds. I advised them and they asked if I was IFR capable. I answered afirm and was given WOBOS intersection direct, which took is straight over. Being a pretty new IFR pilot in a pretty new-to-me plane, it was cool to make the adjustments necessary to get that done. Not that big a deal, but was still neat. You can always request 'over the top'.

As an aside, we decided against Bravo for the pup. He is Merlin.

Bearing in mind that I avoid commercial airline travel where possible, I nonetheless find that, from the passenger perspective,m DFW is better than any other airport of its scale. This is specifically after the new, fast trains became operational some years back, the ones that take you from terminal to terminal airside, no re-clearing security. I especially like the fact that, if you are not changing terminals, you are not forced into using a train to get to your gate (like Vegas, Orlando, etc.). All the cute happy voices in the world cannot make a mandatory train ride fun.

But I prefer the Bonanza.

DFW isn’t bad but I always joke that we land in Wichita Falls and drive the rest of the way...

what combination of traffic flow, altitude, and course gives you best chance of doing this?

OTT of DFW.

I have been told by a person who does this a lot and knows the area well that if you....

-are on FF well before talking to RA
-ask RA for OTT
-are at 2500' (eastbound I think it is, and....3000'? westbound)
-are flying close to 90° to the DFW N/S runway headings and headed directly over the airport center
-don't sound fumbly or too nervous when you check in
You may well get OTT.

In fact, this has worked for me several times now.
Even though I am fumbly in the best of circumstances!

My husband says Heathrow is the worst he's been to and he's been to China.

As a passenger or as a pilot?

I lived for four years in Central London, in two of those years flew more than 200,000 miles on BA, and always found Heathrow Terminal 4 reasonably passenger friendly. The view of the Concordes at their gates, before they mothballed them, was always entertaining. Can't speak for the other, older terminals.

I've been through T5 about a dozen times, and it's efficient to process passengers, but like most new terminals completely lacking in personality. Totally forgettable experience.

As a passenger or as a pilot?

I lived for four years in Central London, in two of those years flew more than 200,000 miles on BA, and always found Heathrow Terminal 4 reasonably passenger friendly. The view of the Concordes at their gates, before they mothballed them, was always entertaining. Can't speak for the other, older terminals.

I've been through T5 about a dozen times, and it's efficient to process passengers, but like most new terminals completely lacking in personality. Totally forgettable experience.

A passenger. Don't know what his particular issues are. I've only been through Heathrow twice and that was back in 1972. Don't recall any complaints but then everything was different back then.

I dunno. I was based in DFW, ATL, MCO, and DTW. IMO ATL laid out the best, MCO good, DTW better than DFW's layout. One does a tremendous amount of taxi touring at DFW, especially if ya have to land on the diagonal runways. The terminal layouts leave a lot to be desired too. Here's ATL:

8-atl-maps.jpg
I agree. They seem to have a pretty efficient flow. Longest taxi is from 10/28 up to the terminal. LAX has a layout very similar to ATL that works well.

I agree. They seem to have a pretty efficient flow. Longest taxi is from 10/28 up to the terminal. LAX has a layout very similar to ATL that works well.

Yeah took awhile to get across the other runways to taxi to 10/28, but we got paid b the minute...

Back