Rides at Gaston's

Bob Bement

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Bob Bement
I am hoping to get to give some rides while I am at Gaston's. I have even found a small grass strip that is private, but when I called he said it was fine for me to use it. It is only 4.2 miles from Gastons on the other side of the Dam. It is on the chart as Thunder Ridge Ranch I believe. and is on AirNav as well. For those that want to see a landing at a short strip. I am getting excited!!!:smile:

2200 feet is short?:rofl::D

No it isn't but it is shorter than Gaston's and some won't land there. I haven't landed there before so I will see what it looks like first. I thought it might be fun.
And it would be for a 777!

Last edited:
I dunno, Bob. The trauma of landing at Gaston's may be excitment enough....;)

well Steve, I might just leave it at that then. I am going to have to land there and thank the gentleman that agreed to let me use it if I wanted to.

Last edited:
Steve's right, Bob. I guess you don't know that those who weren't there the previous year customarily have to perform the Gaston's night landing. Steve will illuminate a small section of the runway with the Gaston's van.

The good news - so far, the safety record of this procedure is 100%. So, you're statistically much more safe doing this than landing during the day!

Steve's right, Bob. I guess you don't know that those who weren't there the previous year customarily have to perform the Gaston's night landing. Steve will illuminate a small section of the runway with the Gaston's van.

The good news - so far, the safety record of this procedure is 100%. So, you're statistically much more safe doing this than landing during the day!

Did Michael ever try this, Oh no, you said that the record was better than the day one.

Did Michael ever try this, Oh no, you said that the record was better than the day one.
I forget who did this.

To clarify, AFAIK, the day safety record for our Gaston's event is also 100% - just not the day safety record for the Gaston's strip overall. There have been some accidents there as recently as 2009 (or 2008?).

We had two night arrivals year before last (or was it the year before that?); one Cherokee, and a C140. Both were comfy with it.

No it isn't but it is shorter than Gaston's and some won't land there.!

Bob: The 58P goes into Gaston's fine; it's leaving that's the issue <g>. 45 seconds from lift off to blue line last time I did it with half fuel. This year as last year, Mountain Home is fine.

Best,

Dave

Bob: The 58P goes into Gaston's fine; it's leaving that's the issue <g>. 45 seconds from lift off to blue line last time I did it with half fuel. This year as last year, Mountain Home is fine.

Best,

Dave

I would offer to come pick you up in my plane, but I probably couldn't haul your load back to Gaston's.

So was those two the night landings you were talking about. There isn't a night landing contest per se. I hope to get there before dark.

Let's keep the record right there, at 100%.
The Seneca will be coming to Gaston's, at it's usual 700-800 undergross. Ferry trips- NO PROBLEMO under those conditions.

Remember, there are four bent aircraft there from other operations during the last 10 years, one last season.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?id=CEN09FA393&rpt=fi
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?id=DFW06CA096&rpt=fi
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?id=DFW06CA061&rpt=fi
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?id=FTW03FA008&rpt=fi

They all have a similar theme....trees....bluffs....overgross.....etc.

Last edited:
That list doesn't include landing "incidents". I know of at least two with structural damage(not associated with the board gathering) , and another couple other "interesting" landings (of which I had a personal view).

Always good to have a camera ready at the runway. :)

Let's keep the record right there, at 100%.
The Seneca will be coming to Gaston's, at it's usual 700-800 undergross. Ferry trips- NO PROBLEMO under those conditions.

Remember, there are four bent aircraft there from other operations during the last 10 years, one last season.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?id=CEN09FA393&rpt=fi
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?id=DFW06CA096&rpt=fi
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?id=DFW06CA061&rpt=fi
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?id=FTW03FA008&rpt=fi

They all have a similar theme....trees....bluffs....overgross.....etc.

And lots of batteries for the handheld......a bottle of water.....a hat....a tent.... and a smile. :) :)

SPF 100 sunblock...ice packs...snake bite kit...chigger repellent...tick-b-gone...dog pee remover...fire extinquisher...

(according to some)...LOL :rofl:

And lots of batteries for the handheld......a bottle of water.....a hat....a tent.... and a smile. :) :)

SPF 100 sunblock...ice packs...snake bite kit...chigger repellent...tick-b-gone...dog pee remover...fire extinquisher...

(according to some)...LOL :rofl:
Also - emergency room physicians. Came in very handy for me last time!!!! Or vets, they more or less do the same thing :yikes: ;)

I am pleased to have received some of the best mentoring in my flying career on the flightline ("Gaston's Picnic Table") at 3M0.

The smile is self-actualizing from the company, and from the events. :D

That is one of the reasons that I am making this trip to Gaston's Spike is to get my battery recharged and to get to do something fun for a change. Watching your wife go down hill and taking care of her 24/7 since Nov. my children saw to it that I get to make this trip back to see my flying buddies. I am so looking forward to it.

I am pleased to have received some of the best mentoring in my flying career on the flightline ("Gaston's Picnic Table") at 3MO.

Any plans to incorporate any of that good advice into your flying activities anytime soon?:rofl:

Any plans to incorporate any of that good advice into your flying activities anytime soon?:rofl:

Wayne that was a good one. I only wish I had thought of it first. And to think he is anxious for the two of us to get to Gaston's. :D

He's a glutton for punishment, so maybe he's ready for the sharp elbows.

For guys like us who want to feel young, Bob, today was a hoot. I took a guy flying who hasn't been in a light airplane for 65 years. Before that he flew a big one (B-24) for a while before being shot down and spending some time in Stalag Luft 1.

He was 19 years old when he completed flight training and picked up his B-24 crew for crew training. And he was the commander. He climbed right in my 180 and flew it without any problem. He didn't want to fly much, however, because he was enjoying the view and didn't want to be distracted. Said he'd let the young sprout handle the controls so he could look around.

Wayne that was a good one. I only wish I had thought of it first. And to think he is anxious for the two of us to get to Gaston's. :D

I think we should have Bob be "ground control" and Wayne be "tower". That'd be a hoot. I'm reminded of these two guys:

muppet_statler_waldorf.jpg

Those are the kind of flights I love to take, too. I have been lucky enough to make a few of those. I hope that i will be able to make a few more. It sounds like you did have a great day.

I'm looking forward to giving rides again, too! And I mean like in the past years - in my planes! (Not like last year, in our van :redface:)

NOTHING like sharing the love of flight! :yesnod:

I'll volunteer for any ferrying to Mountain Home for the folks that need lifts back and forth :)

"Say again all after uhhhhh."

"Say what?"

"Say whatever you said before."

"Unable."

"Why?"

"I forgot."

I think we should have Bob be "ground control" and Wayne be "tower". That'd be a hoot. I'm reminded of these two guys:

Is a lack of hearing any problem with this job, of ground control. I don't think I can handle it as I have trouble with bladder control, as well!

Last edited:

Hope springs eternal, but I wouldn't hold my breath, if'n I was you...

Back