Ride Share Southern California to D.C./Northern VA One Way (picking up a new plane)

sdpilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
kyle
I have to fly back to the east coast around thanksgiving to pick up a plane that I recently purchased. Ideally I'd like to not go commercial so I can easily take my dog with me instead of leaving her with someone else for over a week. The idea of putting her in a cage and in the holding area of a plane for 8 hours or more is not appealing at all.

If the person heading out there would also like to help me fly back, that is also a possibility. I'd cover all expenses on the ride back as well, but you have to be an IFR pilot for the return flight.

I've looked into ride share websites but haven't found much there. If anyone has any other suggestions I'm open ears.

Last edited:
Well, not sure if this helps, but I will be moving my 170 from MYF to Virginia the week of 5 Nov. problem is that with the stuff I am carrying, I might be able to make room for a person.....I don't see having room for a dog.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Re: Ride Share Southern California to D.C./Northern VA One Way (picking up a new plan

I am flexible on the dates, and thank you for the offer but if there isn't room for the dog it will not really work.

I'd be willing contribute to travel expenses(gas, hotel if needed, etc..) and pay to ship some items in the event that makes a difference though.

Re: Ride Share Southern California to D.C./Northern VA One Way (picking up a new plan

I am flexible on the dates, and thank you for the offer but if there isn't room for the dog it will not really work.

I'd be willing contribute to travel expenses(gas, hotel if needed, etc..) and pay to ship some items in the event that makes a difference though.
The first offer of sharing direct expenses with common purpose was cool. The offer in a public forum to pay additional expenses is not, as it puts the other party in a difficult situation.

I wan't offering to pay outside of what is legal. I'm am a pilot and would not be paying another pilot for services. I'm simply splitting the cost over 3 passengers one being a dog.

If part of the dogs share to travel involves paying to ship items to make room then that is simply part of the travel cost and 3 way split. From my understanding of the law this is in no way a violation of splitting travel costs. If it is a violation then of course I would not proceed with it. In any event I'd contact AOPA for clarification on interpretation of the law should it proceed any further.

Best idea...take further discussion to private email between sdpilot & Fearless Tower.

As a side note...I have a great kennel in the Denver area where my dog has resided (once for 6 days when I was at Oshkosh) with no problems. It's a cage-free, so it's much less stressful. Not exactly cheap, but look around and see if there's a similar option.

What kind of dog....ie how big? And are you bringing a portable kennel with you?

She is a 5 month old Rottweiler that fly's with me often and is well trained. right now the dog is 37 lbs, but would guess by then she will be 40 lbs.

I would be more than willing to bring a portable kennel/crate with me if someone wanted me to ( I have one here at home). I had planned on purchasing another crate one once I arrived in the DC area for my sisters house to reduce the amount of stuff I was bringing.

Attachments

• lexifly.jpg
    lexifly.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 26
  • lexi2.jpg
    lexi2.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 23
  • lexi3.jpg
    lexi3.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 22
  • lexi4.jpg
    lexi4.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Some guy who posts here has hauled some dogs, might have some helpful advice. But none of his dogs will ride in singles so he won't fly them.

What kind of dog....ie how big? And are you bringing a portable kennel with you?

I wan't offering to pay outside of what is legal. I'm am a pilot and would not be paying another pilot for services. I'm simply splitting the cost over 3 passengers one being a dog.

If part of the dogs share to travel involves paying to ship items to make room then that is simply part of the travel cost and 3 way split. From my understanding of the law this is in no way a violation of splitting travel costs. If it is a violation then of course I would not proceed with it. In any event I'd contact AOPA for clarification on interpretation of the law should it proceed any further.
Your understanding of the regulation is not correct. The only costs which may be split are the direct costs of the flight, i.e., gas, oil, and airport fees. Paying to ship the aircraft owner's other items to make room for you or your dogs does not fall within that regulagory definition. You cannot, as you offered eariler, legally cover the aircraft owner's hotel, food, or similar expenses, either.

Just so you know.

Hmmm. Definitely don't have room for a crate. I need to figure out how much stuff I need to bring with me to see if making room is even a possibility. How much stuff/bags would you need to bring?

How much dog food does the pup need for 4 or 5 days?

The other challenge is that the 170 is slow (only cruises around 95 KTAS) and does not have panel lighting, so not the kind of thing you want to do much night flying.

I am planning to depart on Monday afternoon (5th) and assuming no weather delays, I would be arriving in Norfolk mid-day on the 8th (thurs).

Do you have a TW endorsement?

I don't have to bring the crate she is fine without it. I don't have a TW endorsement but could get one. I fly out of KMYF and there are 2 or 3 planes I could get one in between now and then. If you prefer we could even go up together a couple times between now and then.

I usually fly about 8-10 hours a month so I'd just fly the TW until then if needed.

The pup would need no more than 5 lbs of food. She eats 3-4 cups a day so 5 lbs is plenty. A 15 lb bag lasts about a month.

My work schedule is flexible so time isn't an issue. If you don't mind me using a verizon wireless card and a laptop part of the trip we can take as long as needed.

Kyle

Last edited:

Your understanding of the regulation is not correct. The only costs which may be split are the direct costs of the flight, i.e., gas, oil, and airport fees. Paying to ship the aircraft owner's other items to make room for you or your dogs does not fall within that regulagory definition. You cannot, as you offered eariler, legally cover the aircraft owner's hotel, food, or similar expenses, either.

Just so you know.

WHO CARES!!!
The world would be better if people like you mind your own buisness. the guy is trying to make it legit for someone to help him out.
I just don't get people like you.

WHO CARES!!!
The world would be better if people like you mind your own buisness. the guy is trying to make it legit for someone to help him out.
I just don't get people like you.
You really think it's a good idea to propose something against the regulations on a public website where FAA Inspectors hang around? I figure folks would rather know what's legal and stay inside the lines. YMMV.

He is a pilot and knows what is legal. He can pay whoever helps him as a gift.... he is just saying he is not wanting something for nothing. Damn..... nosey people.

Do you have a TW endorsement?

Question (and I hope this does not derail this thread).

If the two of you are always going to be in the plane together, can't you always take off and land, and he just help fly?

If that's how you split it up, would he need the endorsement?

Actually, he didn't. And apparently neither do you. As for "nosey," this is a public place.

relax everyone...

If you want to discuss pay for hire, commercial vs private, and FAA regulations please start another thread. I'm not trying to be rude but the conversation is getting a bit off topic and inflammatory. As I stated I'd seek legal advice from AOPA, my local FSDO and an aviation lawyer before doing anything.

We have all spent a lot of time and money to have the privileged to fly and nobody wants to see another pilot lose it for a violation. I appreciate the warning and advice and will take it into consideration.

Question (and I hope this does not derail this thread).

If the two of you are always going to be in the plane together, can't you always take off and land, and he just help fly?

If that's how you split it up, would he need the endorsement?
Yes, that is true. He could fly and log the enroute portions as PIC while I would be acting PIC (I would not log the the time I was not actually flying though). Legally, he could even takeoff and land, although that is where it gets iffy from a safety standpoint. I would be much more inclined to let someone take a t/o or landing if they had some tail wheel training.

if we ended up going I'd simply spend a few hours and get the endorsement before the trip. It seems like a good excuse to get some more training and pickup another endorsement.

relax everyone...

If you want to discuss pay for hire, commercial vs private, and FAA regulations please start another thread. I'm not trying to be rude but the conversation is getting a bit off topic and inflammatory. As I stated I'd seek legal advice from AOPA, my local FSDO and an aviation lawyer before doing anything.

We have all spent a lot of time and money to have the privileged to fly and nobody wants to see another pilot lose it for a violation. I appreciate the warning and advice and will take it into consideration.
Thank you,Kyle -- I'm glad you understand. I hope the flight works out.

She is a 5 month old Rottweiler that fly's with me often and is well trained. right now the dog is 37 lbs, but would guess by then she will be 40 lbs.

I would be more than willing to bring a portable kennel/crate with me if someone wanted me to ( I have one here at home). I had planned on purchasing another crate one once I arrived in the DC area for my sisters house to reduce the amount of stuff I was bringing.

awwwww, too cute, even has her own headset.

Back