Ride 'em Cowboy!

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Ha, ha! Someone ask Spike about his trip to west Texas this weekend (especially the trip home!)

here is the wind from a nearby mountain peak:
KGDP 271851Z AUTO 25053G66KT ... RMK PK WND 24076/1806
KGDP 271751Z AUTO 25054G71KT

Talk about a standard-issue west Texas butt-kicking! :hairraise:

PS we had a 140kt xwind at 310 going to Santa Fe this aft.

Thanks for coming Spike, it was great to visit!!

Yowza!

I'll post a more comprehensive trip report in "Great Places" later (because I want y'all to know just what a cool place west Texas really is), but will affirm: I flew back most of the way from Cibolo Creek Ranch (TS15) to ADS in a Bonanza, at 17 to 18 inches MP, 120-125 KIAS, and ground speed of 195-210 knots. Could not fly faster without being beat to crap- tried 11,500' and knew right away I'd made a big boo boo, right back down.

It did smooth out *some*, but every time I thought I might be able to sneak up the power to something rational, BAM, we'd hit another patch of filling-shakers, and based on the calls to Flight Watch, while there weren't that many flying, those that were, were sharing the fun.

Had fun seeing the Marfa Sights (not to be confused with the Marfa Lights) with Dave, who lives in aviation heaven.

Here are a couple of pics - we were near Ft. Stockton, where ruffians roam, and dust flies, and were mushing along in "moderate" turbulence (have been told that, if the wings remain attached, it is not "severe").

Back