Ride Along W00 to SBY.

MDeitch1976

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MattCanFly
Tuesday after watching the Space Shuttle Discovery doing some laps around DC on top of a 747, I had the pleasure of flying with a member of POA, JAYBIRD180. Also, on this trip I got to meet Cap'n Ron. First and foremost I would like to thank Jaybird for the ride, and Cap'n Ron for his time and his knowledge. Also, I can not forget to mention Jaybird's peaceful little traveler, his Daughter. Now for the trip.

This trip had a delayed start from the get go. There was a little rush involved to get going by the time we met up. Jaybird did very well in realizing he still needed to to follow the checklist in pre flighting the plane. And, he told me to hold him to it. This was comforting to me not ever having met or flown with him before. After, the pre flight we started up, and headed out for the runway. He did file his flight plan before the trip, which was good. He did his runup, pre takeoff checks, on the runway and we were off. From here to Salisbury, it was a very smooth uneventful trip all the way to Salisbury. Having just started my cross country training, this was helpful to be part of an actual cross country. Here I definitely was able to see how another thousand feet of altitude more then I am normally at, really helped with ground reference. A lot easier to spot other airports, and even your destination airport a lot easier. Jaybird was good with ATC communication, and being on point making sure we were cleared for the transition of R4006. ATC for Salisbury Class D airspace, and landing at Salisbury were mostly uneventful. During the landing Jaybird made a mistake I have made several times on landing which is accidentally bumping a little more power then intended when trying smooth out touchdown. Overall, great job. At no point was I worried. When we got there, we did park in the wrong place initially. We got that figured out. Here I think Jaybird and I both learned it is necessary to know where you are going when you get to the airport. Then we met Cap'n Ron.

Cap'n Ron is a good man. Very welcoming. Very nice man. Straight forward. I learned a few things from him, and got some good knowledge from him. The intent of this trip was for Jaybird to get a little training. However, due to underlying circumstances, and timing, this couldn't happen. We made the best of the little time we had. Then we headed for home!

This time, added some fuel, and Jaybird filed our flight plan home. Jaybird preflighted the aircraft. Then Jaybird, his Daughter, and Myself climbed into the plane. Started up, , set the GPS, called Ground Control, and we were off. Made a wrong turn along the way back to 32. With the help of the controller, we were back on track. Performed the run up, and the pre takeoff check. Gave a reminder about the flaps, but I am sure Jaybird would been on top of it. Take off went well. Little bumpy, until we got to altitude. I did get to see Auto Pilot in use on the way back. Made for a good straight course. Once again, good ATC communication along the way. On the way back, Jaybird had altered our course a little bit. Which gave us a nice view over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. Maneuvered well getting under the Bravo Airspace. Because of the chosen route which would set us up well for a 45 into the pattern, it forced us under the 1500 floor of Bravo. Not a big deal, but I think it made it harder to spot Freeway(W00) on the way back in. What looked like Freeway initially was a very wide short piece of road in what I guess will be a new neighborhood. It looked just like a runway until we got closer, and also the GPS showed us that was not it. It probably would have been better to come back in the way we flew out. Would have given us that extra altitude, and made it easier to to spot Freeway. But, using ground reference points Jaybird spotted it, and we found it pretty quickly. Which is a good thing. Freeway sits in a little bump out in the FRZ around Washington DC. Not much room for navigation error here. During landing, it was easy to see feel, and see that the winds at the airport were not what they were said to be. Made for some real piloting work on Jaybirds part to get us down. Later Jaybird sent me a message advising me of what the winds really were. Which ended up being double of what was expected.

Overall, this was a great time. Great learning experience. Jaybird made me feel like I was part of the flight. This would be good for any passenger you have. In this case following foreflight on the IPAD, and watching the chart. Also, can have passengers help with scan for other aircraft. The main thing I would say which Jaybird did well, was not rushing. If your in a rush, hurry up and slow down, and do what needs to be done. It is important. Also, no GPS diddling on the taxiway.

If you are looking for a shorter field in the Washington area, Freeway seems to fit the bill for the area at 2420 x 40. It also has a wonderful approach on RWY 36. Trees at the end seem pretty close. Makes you feel like your landing on some runway in the middle of a forest. Also, the taxiway was interesting. It was reminiscent of a Golf Cart Path at a country club. I did not realize they had taxiways with curves, and hills. Fun little place. Little tight, so pay attention.

Thank you again Jaybird. I hope Nothing I said upsets you. I would definitely fly with Jaybird again if given the opportunity and I hope to be able to reciprocate the favor in the future.

Thanks for reading,

Matt

Great story. Makes me feel a lot better about my own flying reading such a detailed account including minor mishaps along the way.

I can also add that Matt asked more than once to come out of his pocket. Thumbs up to him for that even though I declined.

Last edited:
It was a great time.
Kimberly, I am sure I am going to have my own mishaps along the way after I receive my ticket.
I think if anyone says they never made any mistakes along the way is lying, or among a very few rare souls ever on this planet.

It was a great time.
Kimberly, I am sure I am going to have my own mishaps along the way after I receive my ticket.
I think if anyone says they never made any mistakes along the way is lying, or among a very few rare souls ever on this planet.

I make mistakes a lot and I'm taking a pilot up on Saturday and already worried I'll be rusty and make mistakes. Oh, well, all of the pilots I've had in my plane (and there have been many) always seem to have fun and say nice things later. Or maybe pilots are just nice.

Tell them to give you their thoughts, good or bad. If they know your making a mistake and say nothing, that is not very friendly.

Tell them to give you their thoughts, good or bad. If they know your making a mistake and say nothing, that is not very friendly.

This happened on Saturday (I flew a pilot around and I made some mistakes). I am glad he gave me his thoughts.

Back