Richard McSpadden Crash

Engine with 40 SMOH raises possibilities. I'm certainly no expert, but am currently installing my own engine (under supervision) after OH. I can think of lots of minor installation mistakes that might rear their head about 40 hours later. Failure to properly tighten a fitting or safety a fastener, improper routing of ignition wires, etc. I spend a lot of time thinking about this as I'm doing my install.

Engine with 40 SMOH raises possibilities. I'm certainly no expert, but am currently installing my own engine (under supervision) after OH. I can think of lots of minor installation mistakes that might rear their head about 40 hours later. Failure to properly tighten a fitting or safety a fastener, improper routing of ignition wires, etc. I spend a lot of time thinking about this as I'm doing my install.
Interesting point. I've plotted my homebuilt accident data vs. aircraft total time. Notice the jump at the 50 hour point.
1698198536666.png
Some of that rise...but not all...can be attributed to the plane now being able to leave the test area. But there *is* a spike in mechanical failures in the 40-70 hour period. I use this chart in my homebuilt safety presentations to demonstrate that making a successful first flight does NOT establish that the airplane is perfect, mechanically.

~40 hours after an engine installation on a Cessna probably falls into the same zone....

Ron Wanttaja

Back