Richard Collins 'n Flying

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
Well guys, I'm really at a loss as to why I'm still around!! See, I've been doin this really dangerous stuff and just didn't know any better. Sigh!!

What I'm referring to is the latest issue of Flying Mag. And the write up on the Lancair Columbia at page 49.

Actually some good stuff in the review of the plane. Then I come to this

quote: "The Columbia 400 was initially certified to 18,000 feet, not 25,000 feet. Whether the airspeed restrictions are related to this I know not (in regard to earlier comments about speeds being reduced to altitude like Vne).

I do know that from a physiological standpoint, flying above 20,000 feet

with basic oxygen systems, or with one engine, is risky business. Anyone

who has done the altitude chamber training knows this, and anyone who flies higher than 20,000 feet in a single likely hasn't done the training or they would know better."

Dear Richard really lost me here. First, I've flown many times at over 20,000 with a 'basic oxygen system' and still can perform higher math in my head--at times (I'm much better after a margarita ;-). Second, what in the heck does being in a single have to do with anything?

Where in the world is this guy getting this?

Geesh.

Dave

well, ole dick mostly flies ifr and maybe he's just thinking in terms of ifr flight, in a single, at night, in imc, with embedded t/s, hail, coring the jet, moderate-severe turbulence, vacuum failure, alternator failure :eek: and a hangover (darn, those margaritas!).

i usually give up aroung the night imc part.:yes:

Richard lost my attention a long time ago.

BTW, if that's the latest Flying, do they have the final Bax tribute column in there?

wsuffa said:
So start a grassroots campaign to get someone else in there. I happen to know of an aviation writer who would be interested...

wsuffa said:

BTW, if that's the latest Flying, do they have the final Bax tribute column in there?
Flying magazine lost my attention long ago. I only get it because I'm in NAFI.

Ken Ibold said:
So start a grassroots campaign to get someone else in there. I happen to know of an aviation writer who would be interested...

Excellent suggestion Ken. Don't think I have much influence with them, but will advance a probing effort in your direction. Which it could be a reconnaissance in force;)

Dave

I only get it because I'm in NAFI

Hey John! Never seen one of those. Is it a four or six seater ;)

Dave

I'm glad to know that I'm safer putzing around at 2000 feet to stay under the clouds than I would be at 20,000 feet. All that extra gliding distance in the event of an engine failure is far to risky for me to contemplate.

I quit subscribing to Flying some time ago. I guess if it was free I wouldn't turn it down but I don't find it worth paying for. The target audience seems to be people who are interested in high end planes and I have enough trouble just justifying keeping my 34 year old Cherokee 140.

Ken Ibold said:

I don't do grassroots type stuff, or even subtle for that matter. One year at Oshkosh I found one of the senior editor types and suggested to him that "Flying" magazine readership would improve immensely if they hauled Richard Collins out to the curb, beat him with a few rolled reprint copies of his own trash columns, and left him comatose for the trash collector.

Bobby Day said:
I quit subscribing to Flying some time ago. I guess if it was free I wouldn't turn it down but I don't find it worth paying for. The target audience seems to be people who are interested in high end planes and I have enough trouble just justifying keeping my 34 year old Cherokee 140.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, Richard was certainly focused on the HIGH part.

Actually, I like a lot of his stuff, it's the stuffy Doctor in the twin turbine that doesn't thing FSS is needed any more that sticks in my belly.

Dave

Ken Ibold said:
I vote for Ken!!!! :yes:

Steve said:
I suppose running around in a 210 must have scared him too many times....

Ya know Steve. That may have been what Richard was really communicatin. Since he flies that P210, he may be thinking if one loses an engine in a single, pressurization is lost. In a twin, the other engine could keep pressurization.

If it is, didn't come across that way. I sure couldn't do what he does for a living; so, have to give him the benefit. Still, I flew with a cannula and 24CF tank in the Bo for several years with no apparent loss of cognitive skills. Used a mask above 16,000 and have been up to 25,000.

Heck, if I did get hypoxia, I could just become one of those passengers on the Southwest Airlines show where they deal with customer complaints. I hear rumors that those folks are oxygen starved; that's how they get 'em to do all that stupid stuff :rolleyes:

Best,

Dave

Ken Ibold said:

Ken,

We all told you a while back we'd be interested in an electronic-format "magazine" when you asked. Whatever happened to that idea? I like that idea better than you working for Flying.

Dave Siciliano said:
I only get it because I'm in NAFI

Hey John! Never seen one of those. Is it a four or six seater ;)

Dave
National
Association of
Fantastic
Instructors

Ken Ibold said:

Ken, where does the Gaston's article stand at the moment?

"Don't forget you need to make sure you carry extra airspeed on final when landing with a tailwind."

Tanks, Dick.

Back