Richard Bach plane accident

Until we can fix all the liability issues we're screwed. I mean they can't spit out a new LSA for under a hundred grand..it's ridiculous.

Oh but they can. Allegros come under $100k, for example. RANS S-7LS, too. And of course just to show what can be done, M-Squared sells a ready-to-fly S-LSA for $35k (THIRTY FIVE!). It's a clone of Quicksilver MX, but they filled out all the certification paperwork, so it's an LSA. Sadly, their website is horrible, or I'd give you an URL.

Note that inflation was obscene recently. The 100k is not a magic number anymore, and typical sophisticated LSA sells for about $130k these days. Skycatcher checks in at $145k.

P.S. Forgot about Aerotrek that was listed $79k for a stripper in 2012 catalog. That's quite a real airplane, has an engine in the nose, brakes, etc. 143 mph Vne.

Last edited:
I've often wondered if GA wouldn't be better off in appealing to the quasi-spiritual, 'awe and wonder' (some might even say elitist) aspects of flying when trying to attract new pilots, instead of casting such a wide net. Emphasize the fact that not everyone can be a pilot - and appeal to the egos of those who choose to do the work to become one.

There has always seemed to be a lack of that from the manufacturers, at least... they seem to really push the practicality of GA for travel (which is kinda laughable, though not completely false). But the "cool factor" has always been there, pitching an elitism that is not really what's coolest about being part of the "priesthood", if you ask me.

I think most of us found our way into flying after being inspired in some personal way, by that first ride, or a desire to test ourselves, while seeking a kind of adventure mixed with beauty and peace that we're not finding enough on the ground. Or really awesome flying stories.

There were a lot of experiences that inspired me, but definitely Bach's writing- even his more straightforward stuff like the everyday flying stories in A Gift of Wings, or the adventure of Biplane or Nothing by Chance, or the intense Stranger to the Ground.
He's always enjoyed challenging flying, and writing about it, but he seems to have always encouraged any interest in flying, from anyone he's met. "Believe in yourself and you can do anything" is definitely a big part of his overall message. You could say he's earned his "hotshot" creds, but I doubt he thinks he's any big deal as a pilot.

Non-pilot acquaintances and those considering flying often ask me what this flying stuff is all about for me... I usually refer them to any of the books above. Bach can illustrate the simple joys of flying a lot better than I can.

I kind of re-discovered him when I started flight training, and his stories were the perfect tonic after a disappointing lesson or "study burnout".
He's always written so personally and so honestly about flying that he's been a real help to me, through good times and bad. He got me through my training, he validated my obsession with flight, and he definitely helped get me back into it after laying off for a few years. There were others, but he stands out, for sure.

JL Seagull, Illusions, and One are almost in a different category (even Nothing by Chance, now that i think about it), being more about his thoughts on the meaning of life or whatever... I know a few pilots who didn't enjoy or "get" that stuff.
I doubt there's any surefire propaganda formula for spurring interest in flying...most people just need to go for a ride, and have the basics explained to them, and hear pilots' stories. After that, they'll either take the hook or dismiss it as a mild novelty... depending on whether or not they have the urge to fly deep inside them.

Last edited:
Most of the marketing nowadays shows people parked on a completely empty grass strip unloading four-wheelers and enough crap to fill a small house, out of a Pilatus PC-12.

Yup. Seen a lot of PC-12s parked on mountainsides, haven't you? ;)

I was bummed to see that Simon and Schuster have chosen not to release his stuff for electronic distribution (e.g. Kindle). Some of his books would be fun to have handy when mobile for their "re-readability".

Same thing with "Fate is the Hunter" and many more classic aviation books.

Rescinded. Most of Mr. Bach's books just became available for Kindle. If that was done in response to the sad but free advertising of his crash, it was fast.

I think most of us found our way into flying after being inspired in some personal way, by that first ride, or a desire to test ourselves, while seeking a kind of adventure mixed with beauty and peace that we're not finding enough on the ground. Or really awesome flying stories.
True, but I think that after investigation many people come to the conclusion that aviation is actually highly regulated and procedural which may not fit what people are looking for in a hobby. How many posts on here deal with nitpicking regulations vs. posts about the wonder of flight?

Rescinded. Most of Mr. Bach's books just became available for Kindle. If that was done in response to the sad but free advertising of his crash, it was fast.

On the nook now as well.

Yup. Before the 20/20 scare story look how popular ultralights were. Fun, no rules. Problem is pilots are mostly folks who have accepted or worse embrace lots of little rules and as such the fly for fun leave me alone crowd gets displaced. More rules, the more rule embracing pilots stick around, self fulfilling prophecy.
True, but I think that after investigation many people come to the conclusion that aviation is actually highly regulated and procedural which may not fit what people are looking for in a hobby. How many posts on here deal with nitpicking regulations vs. posts about the wonder of flight?

Very true. I think a lot of those people end up as skydivers to get their "flying" fix.

While I've never heard of Richard Bach, all these rave reviews got me interested. I have a vacation coming up and thought, based on this comment, it was time to hit the Amazon store and load up the Kindle.

Went to Amazon to make a purchase and nothing is listed. I could find Hypnotizing Maria as available in Kindle format, but it was listed as "pricing information not available"?

[EDIT] Two reasons to be embarrassed. First, it is not available because I was logging in from China ... not available in Asia in Kindle format. Second, once I switched regions I found "Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah". I read that book something like 25-30 years ago as a teenager and clearly remember the impact it had. Still have it in the book shelf and I've moved (no kidding) around twenty times over those years ... I've held on to the dog eared copy but haven't read it in years.

I certainly hope Mr. Bach recovers and look forward to spending a week or two reading some of his other works over October holiday.

Last edited:
For some early Richard Bach articles from Flying magazine:

http://books.google.com/books?id=RR_AFwV5MjoC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false (beginning at page 34; sort of the same metaphysical style of his later works)

http://books.google.com/books?id=Gu...ce=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false (beginning at page 72)

Jonathan Livingston Seagull, by the way, was rejected 18 times before it was first published (according to one source, "reluctantly and below regular rate") in three installments in Private Pilot magazine.

Last edited:
While I've never heard of Richard Bach, all these rave reviews got me interested. I have a vacation coming up and thought, based on this comment, it was time to hit the Amazon store and load up the Kindle.

Went to Amazon to make a purchase and nothing is listed. I could find Hypnotizing Maria as available in Kindle format, but it was listed as "pricing information not available"?

[EDIT] Two reasons to be embarrassed. First, it is not available because I was logging in from China ... not available in Asia in Kindle format. Second, once I switched regions I found "Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah". I read that book something like 25-30 years ago as a teenager and clearly remember the impact it had. Still have it in the book shelf and I've moved (no kidding) around twenty times over those years ... I've held on to the dog eared copy but haven't read it in years.

I certainly hope Mr. Bach recovers and look forward to spending a week or two reading some of his other works over October holiday.

I have not said this here, because it's not the time or place, but seeing he is recovering...

I never liked his work. I hope you do, but I never did.

Nothing against the man, seems like a good guy.

Much of it is mysticism for a generation that dropped their parent's religions and needed some of their own. If you know that going in, it ain't all that bad.

I wouldn't go so far as to say he's the Shirley McClane of aviation, but he was filling a similar emotional need for some.

I liked his early books but he lost me with the mysticism.

I don't know that the $100k price tag is due to liability. How many LSA manufacturers carry liability insurance? How much is the premium? I'd be surprised if the LSA companies from eastern Europe were carrying insurance.

I'd say the stiff price tags are due to the low volume and the high amount of skilled labor involved in construction. It's not like you can punch out a replica Cub fuselage from a CNC machine; somebody ends up cutting, fitting, fishmouthing, and welding the fuselage by hand. Somebody has to build up and install the electrical system, control systems, brakes, interior, etc.; this may take less-skilled labor, but you've still got to meet the ASTM standards.

Ron Wanttaja

And the engine and avionics, which cost 1/4 - 1/3 of the list price.

Back