Rich Stowell’s EMT Class (kind of long :-))

jlwilson

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Joyce
Well… I’m not even sure where to begin! I just had, yet another, wonderful experience! Yes, it involved airplanes. And yes, not only did I survive, but I learned all kinds of neat things about exploring the edges of envelopes within flight that could save my life!

I was fortunate to be able to attend Rich Stowell’s EMT (Emergency Maneuvers Training) class in Santa Paula, CA last week.

Backing up somewhat, I met a really neat lady who happens to be an AME during the Air Race Classic that I participated in this past summer. She and I kept in touch this past fall and she enticed me to travel to CA with her to train with an instructor she had trained with previously. I was all in, hook , line and sinker! When she described the class, I was slightly nervous. So, doing the due diligence, I visited the website (www.richstowell.com). I read the EMT Module I and II syllabus and decided that it was absolutely something that should be learned.

We left DFW (yes, flying commercially sucks) and traveled to Burbank, CA. Renting a car, we drove the 60+ miles to Santa Paula. I know I should have taken lots of pictures, but I’m just not a good photographer. It was, however, beautiful. We traveled through a luscious valley of mostly lemon and avocado groves between the foothills of some gorgeous mountains. I had to remember that I was actually in California, a very foreign state to me.

We arrived at the Santa Paula Inn, where Liza had stayed during her previous two training sessions with Rich. It’s a quaint bed and breakfast style inn that’s just a few blocks from the airport (KSZP). The next morning we were set and in the classroom promptly at 8am, which worked well as it felt like 10am. We were still somewhat on Central Time. Rich started our ground school talking about airplane performance and the importance of staying out of situations that can cause unusual attitudes. That part I really understood, it’s much more important not to get into trouble in the first place! I was nervous. Liza and I had talked about spins and I had watched some of the video, but I just wasn’t really sure that I knew what to expect. The more Rich talked, I knew that there wasn’t anything that could happen that he couldn’t fix, but…. I was still nervous.

Now it’s time for the first flight.

In preparation for this training, I had traveled to Burnett, TX a couple of weeks prior to train with another wonderful instructor by the name of Ken Wittekiend. I wanted to have my tailwheel endorsement before I traveled to CA to train with Rich, since I knew we would be flying in tail wheel airplanes. Ken is a wonderful instructor just as Rich is! I learned things without even realizing that I was learning! His building block method is extremely effective. We actually performed some unusual attitude training although I didn’t realize it at the time. (http://www.promarkaviation.net/index.php/About-ProMark-Aviation.html All the instructors are wonderful. In fact, Rebecca and I will be partners in the 2011 Air Race Classic. I am truly blessed!)

Back to the first flight which was to occur in a Citabria. Rich familiarized me with the plane and we did the usual pre-flight evaluation. We had discussed what the flight would entail including Dutch rolls, slow flight and stalls. And the dreaded spins…. As we departed the Santa Paula airport, I became familiar with the characteristics of the lovely bird and I tried to put the whole idea of the spins out of my mind. I just wasn’t really sure that I was cut out for this. We got through all the preliminaries and then he asked if I was ready. He reassured me that he would continually talk me through the experience and that he would be shadowing the controls. I knew he could fix any situation I created; however, I was still nervous. We slowed the plane to stall speed, pulled up the nose and then kicked the rudder. And it happened. In the blink of an eye, the nose dropped and the world went crazy! I screamed like a little girl! I may have said things unmentionable as well, but I really don’t remember. Rich told me at least twice to kick the opposite rudder and in the end, I’m sure he kicked it as well. One and a half spins and the plane was flying straight and level again. As I let my nerves settle, I realized that it really wasn’t as bad as I thought and that I had mentally caused the situation to be much tenser than it needed to be.

We continued setting up spins until we had performed 4 left and 4 right. By the last couple, I was having fun. It wasn’t scary anymore, and while I was still a little tense, I could actually see what was happening. I also knew that I could use his technique in my Cessna 182 or any other plane I was in. He showed me that there is always ample time to analyze the situation so that we can act correctly. He also reinforced what we know as pilots that we have to fly the plane first.

Over the next 3 days, Rich continued exposing me to more unusual attitudes and some basic aerobatic maneuvers. We flew 2 different Citabrias, a Decathlon and a Super Decathlon. We did spirals, loops, rolls, more spins and even a hammerhead. He even talked me through a combined maneuver where we spun, used that speed to enter a loop and then at the exit of the loop, rolled. It was just exhilarating! All the while, reinforcing the control inputs needed for recovery. We had ground school prior to each flight to make sure we understood the why’s and how’s that would occur during the flight. He was really patient with my sometimes arcane questions whose answers helped me understand the principles involved.

We had several really good conversations about why spins and spin recovery are so scary. We all felt that it was a result of the way they are presented in the primary pilot training. In many cases, the CFI teaching it has only ever experienced the minimal spins required to become a CFI. They, too, are scared because they have not had the desensitization of multiple spins nor have they really had enough experience to teach them.

I would wholeheartedly recommend this training to any pilot who hasn’t had aerobatic experience, and those that have had will still learn a tremendous amount. It is amazing to see and understand the dynamics involved both aerodynamically and psychologically. I know I’ll be a better pilot because of it.

Joyce

Joyce, that was a great write-up. :yes: You were able to express what many of us feel about this kind of training. I really, really dreaded spin training, but knew I had to do it to be able to safely do aerobatics. I took some spin training out in California years ago when visiting my son in Lancaster. I had a nightmare about spins the night before and actually woke up in tears. On the drive to the airport I was very anxious. But, I had a great instructor at Lancaster who put me at ease and who was great at teaching me about spins. And then I flew with Chip in his Extra and I learned more and felt more confident. :) The first time I did spins by myself in the Citabria at the farm, I was almost sick at my stomach as I was walking out to our hangar, I was so anxious about it. But, I did it.

I'm looking forward to doing more aerobatics with you at the farm when you fly up here in 2011. :)

Thanks guys!

Diana, I had myself really worked up as well. As Rich was describing what would happen, I kept thinking that I just wasn't cut out for this and I should just tuck my tail and leave quietly. But I can't be a quitter and I'm so glad that I could just work through the fear. I feel better as a pilot and a person :). I can't wait to fly more with you next year!

Tim, Thanks!

Joyce

Diana, I had myself really worked up as well. As Rich was describing what would happen, I kept thinking that I just wasn't cut out for this and I should just tuck my tail and leave quietly.

That's exactly how I felt, too. Seems like that's how I felt learning all the different aerobatic maneuvers, as well, especially when I did them for the first time by myself. I had to get behind myself and shove myself forward.

But I can't be a quitter and I'm so glad that I could just work through the fear. I feel better as a pilot and a person :).

:)

Some of my first videos were about spins. I know everyone is probably getting tired of these, but here are some of my spin videos.

The first one is the second time I did spins on my own over the farm. Tom managed to capture the spins really well, considering how high I was. The angle makes the first spin look like I'm spinning somewhat horizontally instead of vertically. :D

http://www.vimeo.com/3195650

The second video was shot when I was starting to put maneuvers together for the primary sequence. I found that in the Citabria, I could make the spin exit more precise for competition if I did a spin to the right.

http://www.vimeo.com/3199427

And the third video is when we filmed spins from inside. Tom was holding the video camera in the back seat. I would have done more spins that day, including spins to the right, but Tom was starting to get sick in the back seat. :redface: When I started doing spins from the back seat, I realized how much more it seems like you're getting slung around back there as compared to the front seat. Or, maybe it's my flying. ;)

http://www.vimeo.com/3250971

BTW, there are merely artsy videos, not instructional videos. :D

So, are you thinking of getting an aerobatic airplane in addition to your "bush" airplane? :) Lots of fun to be had in the world of aviation, and there are always new challenges available. :yes:

I can't wait to fly more with you next year!

Looking forward to it. :) I have some spin books and tapes to give you, too.

Diana, that's got to be just about the coolest thing I can imagine to be able to take off from your back yard and practice acro right over your place. Nice music on the last video too...

Diana,

I love the videos! I especially loved the hammerhead one! Having only just touched the surface, I can't imagine how hard that is! I really want either a Citabria that I can do some light bush work with or a Super D. I'll also need to talk with you about aero box waiver stuff sometime. Although, at the ranch in TX, we're greater than 4nm from anything :). We can do some acro stuff and just hang out at the ranch!!!

Joyce

Great write up. I took Rich's course last month. I'm going to go fly more aerobatics w/him in a week or two. Fortunately, one day, I flew my plane to Santa Paula. Rich and I went up in it, to understand some of it's parameters and how the EMT training would apply. Great lessons. Vastly improved how I fly my plane.

A couple of the days I flew w/Rich were very windy/gusty. Normally, I would not have flown, but Rich's rule was that if his hat didn't blow off his head, we could fly. I asked him to remove his chin strap....:D. It was great experience although, definitely a workout.

Rich is a great CFI. I am anxious to expand on the aerobatics, and even just do some more spins.

Unfortunately, the local club Citabria that I had hoped to use after the training, is no longer available. Someone ground-looped it. Now, I may have to just buy one. If I can figure out how to convince my wife of the need for another airplane. :D

I'm jealous :wink2:. I wished I lived closer to CA so I could do more aerobatic training with Rich as well! It gets in your blood :crazy:.

I'm looking for either a Citabria or Super Decathlon as well. It's tough because I really kind of want a Super Cub to land anywhere on the ranch, but I just can't get the spins and rolls and loops out of my head. There aren't any acro airplanes near me for rent that I know of so I'll just have to get up to Diana's as soon as feasible so she can give me my 'fix' :yes:. I'm hoping I can find a Citabria that I can put slightly larger tires on and do some 'light' bush landings as well as acro.

Tell Rich that Joyce says Hi!

I really enjoyed the 10 or so hours of aerobatic lessons I took a couple years ago. I had done spins way back in the past, even before I got my private, but they were nothing like the kind you do in an aerobatic sequence where you end up pointed straight down. The whole thing had a lot of appeal to me and I'd like to get back to it someday.

I'm jealous :wink2:. I wished I lived closer to CA so I could do more aerobatic training with Rich as well! It gets in your blood :crazy:.

I'm looking for either a Citabria or Super Decathlon as well. It's tough because I really kind of want a Super Cub to land anywhere on the ranch, but I just can't get the spins and rolls and loops out of my head. There aren't any acro airplanes near me for rent that I know of so I'll just have to get up to Diana's as soon as feasible so she can give me my 'fix' :yes:. I'm hoping I can find a Citabria that I can put slightly larger tires on and do some 'light' bush landings as well as acro.

I will say hi to Rich for you. I think a Super Decathalon would be awesome, but for me, for a second plane, would be more in the price range of a Decathalon or 150hp Citabria. The Super Cub would be fun, too. Had lunch today on Brackett Field (LaVerne, CA), and watched a Husky w/tundra tires take off. My pilot friend and I couldn't help but talk about the fun we could have with that.

I guess I just need a stable....:D Actually, hoping to find a partnership close by for a S.D. or D.

I really enjoyed the 10 or so hours of aerobatic lessons I took a couple years ago. I had done spins way back in the past, even before I got my private, but they were nothing like the kind you do in an aerobatic sequence where you end up pointed straight down. The whole thing had a lot of appeal to me and I'd like to get back to it someday.

I can see it easily becoming addicting. A hangar neighbor of mine has an Extra 300. I could see myself there in a few years. You should get back to it, soon. Since my father passed away, I no longer put anything off, albeit always considering family, finances, etc. Life's to precious to wait.

Someday never comes. Just go do it. If money's a big issue, then start going to some IAC events just to help out and you'll be amazed how friendly and helpful everyone will be to help you figure out how to get it started. You might even get a hop at the contest - rides have been known to happen.

Someday never comes. Just go do it. If money's a big issue, then start going to some IAC events just to help out and you'll be amazed how friendly and helpful everyone will be to help you figure out how to get it started. You might even get a hop at the contest - rides have been known to happen.
I did go help out at an IAC contest back then. They put me to work immediately writing down scores as I recall. My issue is mostly being able to commit the time. Or maybe I should say setting my mind to committing the time. :dunno:

Diana, that's got to be just about the coolest thing I can imagine to be able to take off from your back yard and practice acro right over your place. Nice music on the last video too...
Thanks! :) I love Dave Matthews, especially some of his earlier music. :yes:

Sometimes I forget how lucky I am to be able to take off and do acro right over the farm, and take it for granted. Then I read about the problems some pilots have in finding a good place (that isn't a long way from an airport) to do aerobatics . Fuel amounts sure can be an issue.

Diana,

I love the videos! I especially loved the hammerhead one! Having only just touched the surface, I can't imagine how hard that is! I really want either a Citabria that I can do some light bush work with or a Super D. I'll also need to talk with you about aero box waiver stuff sometime. Although, at the ranch in TX, we're greater than 4nm from anything :). We can do some acro stuff and just hang out at the ranch!!!

Joyce
Joyce, I'm looking forward to getting to your ranch sometime. :yes:

I don't think you will need a waiver as long as there isn't an airway nearby and since you're in the boonies. There is a lot to be said for living in the boonies. Except sometimes I long to eat at a restaurant that actually has tablecloths and beansprouts. None like that around these parts. :D

The Citabria is not the greatest aerobatic airplane, but it IS versatile. I can land it places where I wouldn't land other airplanes. We have the larger tires on ours and that helps, I think. It doesn't do much for the looks, though and it may fly slower without the wheel pants.

I'm glad you like the hammerhead video. :) It's a good example of some of the different things that can go wrong when learning/doing hammerheads. They come easy for some people, but obviously not for me. :D I don't do them very often anymore. I usually lose oil (don't have the inverted oil).

There aren't any acro airplanes near me for rent that I know of so I'll just have to get up to Diana's as soon as feasible so she can give me my 'fix' :yes:.

Y'all come! We have Vitamin G up here. :D

I will say hi to Rich for you. I think a Super Decathalon would be awesome, but for me, for a second plane, would be more in the price range of a Decathalon or 150hp Citabria. The Super Cub would be fun, too. Had lunch today on Brackett Field (LaVerne, CA), and watched a Husky w/tundra tires take off. My pilot friend and I couldn't help but talk about the fun we could have with that.

I guess I just need a stable....:D Actually, hoping to find a partnership close by for a S.D. or D.

The down side to the Super D. is that it takes, like, 8 people to put gas into it.

SAM_0462.JPG

Thanks! :) I love Dave Matthews, especially some of his earlier music. :yes:

Sometimes I forget how lucky I am to be able to take off and do acro right over the farm, and take it for granted. Then I read about the problems some pilots have in finding a good place (that isn't a long way from an airport) to do aerobatics . Fuel amounts sure can be an issue.

You've got a very nice setup. I'm envious, too. Unless I buy, or find a partnership, the closest place for me is at a class C airport. Taxi and holding with the clock running isn't going to be fun.

Thanks also, for your videos. They were partly what inspired me to go out and try it. :D

The down side to the Super D. is that it takes, like, 8 people to put gas into it.

SAM_0462.JPG

Lol.....did anyone manage to get any fuel in the plane? And remember the gas caps? Did they all fit back in?

You've got a very nice setup. I'm envious, too. Unless I buy, or find a partnership, the closest place for me is at a class C airport.

I fly out of an airport under Class B, but can be out to an area where aerobatics can be legally done in just a few minutes. All I need now is an aerobatic airplane!

Joyce: Thanks for the detailed writeup. I sat through the ground school part of Rich's EMT class a few years back. He is a great teacher. Sounds like you had a really good time!

I flew w/Rich today. Told him you said "hi". He had very nice things to say about you.

We had two flights; spins, aileron rolls, loops, 1/2 Cuban eights, and hammerheads. Awesome! Probably very close to the joy I felt when I first soloed a plane. I was a bit sloppy, but Rich has a great way of teaching and helping me understand and correct.

Now, I want a Super D. :D Unfortunately, Rich is traveling for a while, but I look forward to doing more acro w/Judy Phelps @ C.P. Avaition.

Attachments

• Rich Stowell w. decathalon  redux 1.jpg
    Rich Stowell w. decathalon redux 1.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 18
Now, I want a Super D.

Me too! One of the airports here in Memphis has one. I took a few hours of aerobatic instruction with Dr. Morris Ray. What a great airplane and a great instructor!

Me too! One of the airports here in Memphis has one. I took a few hours of aerobatic instruction with Dr. Morris Ray. What a great airplane and a great instructor!

Unfortunately, at the moment, the closest acro rental to me is 45 miles away. I may have to buy something....

I flew w/Rich today. Told him you said "hi". He had very nice things to say about you.

We had two flights; spins, aileron rolls, loops, 1/2 Cuban eights, and hammerheads. Awesome! Probably very close to the joy I felt when I first soloed a plane. I was a bit sloppy, but Rich has a great way of teaching and helping me understand and correct.

Now, I want a Super D. :D Unfortunately, Rich is traveling for a while, but I look forward to doing more acro w/Judy Phelps @ C.P. Avaition.

Awesome! Thanks! Yea, I want one too! Actually I want two planes (is that too much to ask from Santa :D) I want the Super D for acro and a Super Cub for here at the ranch. And then I want to trade the 182 for an A36TC :D:D. If you're going to dream, dream big!

Back