Rhumatologist pushing NSAIDS

A

AS Patient

Hi everyone, I have a SI for ankylosing spondylitis and am currently on Remicade. My Dr. has been pushing NSAIDS, specifically Celebrex for a while now. If I were to get the prescription filled is there anything I should be concerned about in regards to my SI or my health for that matter? I should also say I am a student pilot and a little unclear on whether I need to report a new medication immediately or do I wait until the next medical renewal?

On of the best sources for the answer you seek is http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com/how-to-start.html
the problem is not celebrex. Its the inflammatory arthritis that need medication....both remicade and AS are special issuances, (as you have). The nsaids are only a problem if your “current status” report reflects a worsening.

“You must promptly report any adverse change...” is the key here....

Last edited:
So if I am currently stable on just the Remicade and there has been no adverse change in my condition, it would be OK to add Celebrex if the doc thinks it would benefit me?

So if I am currently stable on just the Remicade and there has been no adverse change in my condition, it would be OK to add Celebrex if the doc thinks it would benefit me?
doc has to write that there has been no adverse change and then an AME cahones issues. Celebrex is not “disease modifying” for AS and would likely be upheld.

But addition of a additional med for a condition is generaLily viewed as adverse. FAA wants the AME to defer. If it were I...well the letter would have to specif py in great detail that you functional capacity at that joint had NOT changed.....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back