Rheumatoid Arthritis & medications

U

Unregistered

I was diagnosed with RA about a year ago. The medications I take regularly are Methotrexate, which is FAA approved and Prednisone, which the FAA says is allowed short term. What exactly constitutes short term? Could this prevent me from passing a medical? I'm considering training for a Private Pilot certificate, but I would hate to not qualify medically and lose the possibility to fly Sport Pilot. How should I proceed?

Short term is about 60 days per year.

If that doesn't do it, there are some disease modifying meds (Orencia is unacceptabile to the FAA) that you and your doc should discuss.....Enbrel...and a few others come to mind.

I take a measely 5mg of Prednisone daily. Does this automatically disqualify me? If, with my doctor's help, I transition to Enbrel or some other acceptable medication, how long does my body have to be clear of Prednisone?

Short term is about 60 days per year.

If that doesn't do it, there are some disease modifying meds (Orencia is unacceptabile to the FAA) that you and your doc should discuss.....Enbrel...and a few others come to mind.

I'm not a doctor, but I used to date one... seriously.

She would ask you if you've asked your rheumatologist about Cat's Claw. It's a heck of a lot easier on the system than Methotrexate or Prednisone, and there are some studies that show it has considerable efficacy against RA and other rheumatic conditions (among other things).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11950006

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2007/mar2007_nu_catsclaw_01.htm

http://www.herbalsafety.utep.edu/herbs-pdfs/catsclaw.pdf

I've been taking it for years for bursitis. If I stop taking it, the pain comes back within a week or so. My elderly mom takes it for RA and was able to stop her other RA medications (with her doctor's approval). And my late uncle took it for arthritis in his back until the day he died (he was in his 80's).

Cat's Claw's not totally without side effects. It potentiates anticoagulant medications. It's also a probable teratogen and should never be taken by pregnant women, nursing mothers, or children. At least that's what my girlfriend (the doctor one, not the more recent crazy one) told me some years ago.

Again, I'm not a doctor. Not even close. Heck, I'm not even particularly smart. But the stuff works wonders for me, my mother, my uncle (R.I.P.), and quite a few other people who I know have tried it; so maybe it's worth asking your doc about it.

-Rich

There's also Humira. Disclaimer: I'm not a doc. :)

Humira (adalimumab) is an injectable medication that can slow the progression of rheumatoid arthrits in adults. It is a recombinant antibody to human tissue necrosis factor - alpha that can be used in combination with other anti-rheumatoid medications. Pilots on this medication must use it for at least 30 days before applying for FAA authorization to use the Humira for rheumatoid arthritis when flying.

<snip>It is a recombinant antibody to human tissue necrosis factor - alpha...

</snip>

That phrase, "human tissue necrosis factor - alpha," rings a bell for me from when Katie was trying to explain the mode of action of Cat's Claw. Most of it went whoooosh -- right over my head -- of course. But that phrase rings a bell.

Again, I'm not a doctor, nor even a particularly bright individual. I will say that my ex-girlfriend was a D.O., and I've found D.O.s in general to be a bit more open to natural remedies than M.D.s in general -- and Katie even more so than most. Last I heard she was stomping through the jungles somewhere looking for cures, so she's definitely oriented in that direction.

-Rich

Last edited:
......Side effect profile (Orencia).

Again... out of curiosity... whats supposed to be different about Orencia's side effects that are potentially incapacitating compared to OTHER TNF's?.... I just completed a 10 month gig doing biologic infusions on RA patients (and a few lupus patients)..... (I'm in the middle of NP school and working full time, so was working at an 'easy' job while doing so.... a big change from my Cath Lab/ICU nursing background)....

I was giving Remicade and Orencia infusions by the truckload, as well as Rituxan and Benlysta (the new Lupus drug)... In those ten months never had any reaction in the acute setting other than one person starting to itch mid infusion.. A handful developed sniffles or URI symptoms in the days post-infusion (expected, and most frequent side effect). The literature and the manufacturers presentations (usually given over a very pricey "free" steak) mentioned increased risk of malignancy but thats about it (and chronic immune patients already have a higher cancer risk than gen population already).

Is Orencia more prone to dizziness than others in its class?

Not tryin to argue with ya, Doc... simply curious what specifically is different between them...

That isn't shared explicity from the Agency group on drugs. But people are drowsy/sleepier longer.....(just observational).

Hi to all

Please assist. Currently using Orencia but I believe it is not an FAA approved drug for RA.

What can I use? Enbrel did not work and neither did Actemra.

Currently not using any cortisone at all (Been clear for about 4 months now)

This is urgent!

I have three honeybee hives. There is always bee-sting(venom) therapy(BVT) one can try too.

Hi to all

Please assist. Currently using Orencia but I believe it is not an FAA approved drug for RA.

What can I use? Enbrel did not work and neither did Actemra.

Currently not using any cortisone at all (Been clear for about 4 months now)

This is urgent!
Orencia is NOT acceptable to the FAA. You have to get stable on something else. Get thee to the rheumatologist.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back