Revisiting Aviatin' Tunes (thanks Laurie)

terzap

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
terzap
Thanks for inspiring me to post this, Laurie--I had started to and deleted it just ten minutes before you posted a thread about tunes! So I figured that was a sign. I'm hoping PoAers are interested in a fun virtual "tune exchange", or a "Weekend Shuffle" (Aviatin' Tunes, with Laurie's permission, would be more fun, huh?). It is something a friend started on another board to which I belong, and it is a ton of fun to learn what others listen to and why they like a particular song. (We do it every Monday and call it "Monday Mix". And I got a go ahead from the woman who started this on my other board to try it here.)

The Rules of the "Weekend Shuffle" are simple:

For those with iTunes and iPods:
1. Click or select "Shuffle" (Party Shuffle on iTunes)
2. List the first six songs that show up in the list. Include the name of song and artist. (You can add to that album and genre if you like, I like to. And to make it more fun--make it random! You get a different list each time so no worries.)
3. Now, take one of those six songs and write something to convice someone who was given a one-song gift certificate why they should choose that song.

Note: Those without iPods/iTunes can play, just randomly choose six albums in your collection, choose the sixth track on each, and list those, picking one to make your sales pitch on.

So...the format is:
My Six Songs:
Why you should buy this song:

I'll go first with my list from the other board:

My Six Songs:
Toys not Ties, Nightnoise, A Wyndham Hill Retrospective Celtic/New Age/Ambient
Mozart, Suzanne Ciani, History of My Heart New Age/Electronic
Interlude III, Mannheim Steamroller, Fresh Aire I
10,000 Miles, Mary Chapin Carpenter, The Essential Mary Chapin Carpenter, Traditional Celtic tune (and featured during a beautiful flying scene in the movie Fly Away Home)
Rhiannon, Ceredywn, A'r Mabinogi, Legends of the Celts, Welsh Celtic/New Age (NOT the Rhiannon by what's-er-name: this entire album is in Welsh)
Birdland, Manhattan Transfer, The Best of Manhattan Transfer

You should buy this because:
The jazz band Weather Report composed Birdland, but it was Manhattan Transfer who stuck this tune in my head so hard that it's been one of my top favorites since the very first time I heard it, back in the late seventies. (Yes, I have the Weather Report version, too.) Birdland is an explosion of joy and energy that showcases the amazing vocal talents of Manhattan Transfer. The topic of the song is the famous "Birdland" jazz club in Harlem which was founded by the immortal Charlie "Yardbird" Parker. Manhattan Transfer can perhaps be recalled best for the funky disco versions of Twilight Zone and Boy from New York City. How can you classify this group in general? You can't, unless it is under Amazing Vocalists. In any case, Birdland is jazz. And no one can deny Manhattan Transfer's vocals, intricate harmonies, clever improvisations, and driving energy is timeless no matter which genre or era you prefer.

OK, I'll play.

My six songs:
Ride the Wild Wind -- Queen
One Tin Soldier -- Coven
A Whiter Shade of Pale -- Procol Harum
Gold -- John Stewart
Dream On -- Aerosmith
Part of the Plan -- Dan Fogelberg

Ride the Wild Wind -- Queen
All the other ones are so well known that you would have bought them already if you wanted them. :dunno:

Besides, it's a flying song. :yes:

Everskyward said:
Part of the Plan -- Dan Fogelberg
I LOVE Dan Fogelberg! "To the Morning", "There's a Place In the World for a Gambler", "The River". You've sent me down memory lane. :)

Ive got:

Pretty Fly For A Rabbi - Weird Al Yankovic
Bigger Boys and Stolen Sweethearts - The Artic Monkeys
Sing Me Back Home - Merle Haggard
When I'm Sixty-Four - The Beatles
Chesseburger in Paradise - Jimmy Buffet
Twist and Shout - The Beatles

I think you should buy The Artic Monkeys because you probably havent heard them and they are great! An up and coming rock band out of England and they have really good stuff.

Terry, did you write that description of MT's Birdland? It is amazingly accurate and so eloquent.

I've got:
Popular - Soundtrack from Wicked
Up! - Shania Twain
When Going Home - Beering Strait
Let It Be (Naked) - The Beatles
The Mayor of Simpleton - XTC
Radio Ga Ga - Queen

Why you should by this song:
The musical Wicked is based on a book that supposes what the origins of the Wicked Witch of the West and Good Witch of East are. In this song the two characters are not yet classified as witches and are starting to become friends at university. The song is great fun and pokes fun at those old high school sterotype rivalries of being popular yet vacuous in one's live.

here's an eclectic mix:

Avant Nous - Edith Piaf
Time - Sarah McLachlan
Ain't even done with the night - John Cougar Mellencamp
Sheena is a punk rocker - Ramones
Still the same - Bob Seger
Der Kommissar - Der Falke

you should buy them, because I said so. :)

Rolling Stones - Get Off Of My Cloud
Bob Seger - Fire Down Below
Bad Company - Live For The Music
George Thorogood - Bad To The Bone
Bobby McFerrin - Don't Worry Be Happy
Foo Fighters - I'm On Your Back

That's what got shuffled from a 2600 song playlist.

tonycondon said:
Ive got:

Pretty Fly For A Rabbi - Weird Al Yankovic
Bigger Boys and Stolen Sweethearts - The Artic Monkeys
Sing Me Back Home - Merle Haggard
When I'm Sixty-Four - The Beatles
Chesseburger in Paradise - Jimmy Buffet
Twist and Shout - The Beatles

I think you should buy The Artic Monkeys because you probably havent heard them and they are great! An up and coming rock band out of England and they have really good stuff.

Another Close Personal Friend of Al! I knew that this board only attracted those with the most refined tastes:cheerswine: .

Pulling six tunes from my "flying" playlist at random:

A Sorta Fairytale - Tori Amos
Down the Road - Dan Fogelberg
Genius in France - Weird Al :yes:
Don't Take Me Alive - Steely Dan
Jet Airliner - Steve Miller Band
Good Girls Don't - The Knack.

You should buy....

A Sorta Fairytale by Tori Amos. From the 2002 "Scarlet's Walk" album, this song is sweet and sad at the same time, with layered vocals shimmering throughout the arrangement. It works whether it's played softly as "mood music" or at full volume, and you can concentrate on the melody or on the lyrics as the mood suits you. The album was probably her most "approachable" since her early days. "I Can't See New York" still gives me chills.

terzap said:

The jazz band Weather Report composed Birdland, but it was Manhattan Transfer who stuck this tune in my head so hard that it's been one of my top favorites since the very first time I heard it, back in the late seventies. (Yes, I have the Weather Report version, too.) Birdland is an explosion of joy and energy that showcases the amazing vocal talents of Manhattan Transfer. The topic of the song is the famous "Birdland" jazz club in Harlem which was founded by the immortal Charlie "Yardbird" Parker. Manhattan Transfer can perhaps be recalled best for the funky disco versions of Twilight Zone and Boy from New York City. How can you classify this group in general? You can't, unless it is under Amazing Vocalists. In any case, Birdland is jazz. And no one can deny Manhattan Transfer's vocals, intricate harmonies, clever improvisations, and driving energy is timeless no matter which genre or era you prefer.
I don't think Birdland was founded by Charlie Parker. It was named in his honor. Bird never had enough money to found anything. As in the movie, when he went to the bottom Bird was actually banned from Birdland.

Birdland is still in NYC, although it closed for a while and it moved twice. http://www.birdlandjazz.com "Lullaby of Birdland" was written by George Shearing. I wish I had stopped by the last time I visited NYC.

TMetzinger said:
Another Close Personal Friend of Al! I knew that this board only attracted those with the most refined tastes:cheerswine: .
Gots lots of Al too

TMetzinger said:
Pulling six tunes from my "flying" playlist at random:

A Sorta Fairytale - Tori Amos

You should buy....

A Sorta Fairytale by Tori Amos. From the 2002 "Scarlet's Walk" album, this song is sweet and sad at the same time, with layered vocals shimmering throughout the arrangement. It works whether it's played softly as "mood music" or at full volume, and you can concentrate on the melody or on the lyrics as the mood suits you. The album was probably her most "approachable" since her early days. "I Can't See New York" still gives me chills.

I had not heard that one from her. I like her music a lot and have seval album err CDs (don't want to date myself there), I'll check that one out.

Richard said:
Terry, did you write that description of MT's Birdland? It is amazingly accurate and so eloquent.

Thank you, yes I did.

My Six Songs:
Steven Curtis Chapman - Believe me Now
Brandi Carlile - Throw it all away
Jars of Clay - Frail
Third Day - I believe
Third Day - You are Mine
Joni Mitchell - Carey

Jars of Clay - Frail. The guitar part is amazing, the vocals melodic, and the lyrics emotive.

1. "Into your groove" by Phat Phunktion
2. Jamaica Farewell, Steel Drum Classics
3. There'll Be No Next Time, Louis Prima
4. She, Harry Connick Jr.
5. Mysterious Ways, U2
6. When I Come Around, Green Day

You should buy Phat Phunktion albums because a friend of mine is in the band and I'd like to know somebody famous. :D Besides, it's good music. Available at CD Baby.

Todays shuffle list:

Jerry Reed - Eastbound and Down
Sammy Hagar - In The Room
Jon Parr - St Elmo's Fire
Stray Cats - Rock This Town
Bon Jovi - Wild In The Streets
RATT - One Step Away

what, am I the only country fan here?

Perfect - Sara Evans
I Love This Bar - Toby Keith
Brokenheartsville - Joe Nichols
Rough and Ready - Trace Adkins
Save a Horse (ride a cowboy) Big & Rich

Re: what, am I the only country fan here?

Gerhardt said:
I Love This Bar - Toby Keith

My dad usually sings this at Karaoke. Of course he owns the bar...

Here's my first 6 tracks on one of my flying CD's seeings how I'm the only person left in this century that doesn't own an Ipod thingie.

Treetop Flyer - Jimmy Buffett
Dangerous Mood- Joe Cocker
Wherever I May Roam - Metallica
Flying in a Blue Dream - Joe Satriani
Planes and Satellites - Sonia Dada
I Dare You - Shinedown

You should buy this because of the first track, Treetop Flyer which was orignally written and sung by Steven Stills, however Buffett definitely does the song justice. Besides, what's not to love about the lyrics: I fly low, I'm in high demand.........

Treetop Flyer seems awfully appropriate for you laurie

Other than the fact it's really about a drug smuggler, yes. :goofy:

Jars of Clay - Frail. The guitar part is amazing, the vocals melodic, and the lyrics emotive.[/quote]

I love that whole album! :yes::yes:

I'm Waiting for the Man-David Bowie

Beat me Daddy Eight to the Bar-Commander Cody

Industrial Disease-Dire Straights

Breathe-Collective Soul

I'll Follow the Sun-the Beatles

Goin Home-Alvin Lee and Ten Years After

Buy "Beat me Daddy Eight to the Bar" because anything by Commander Cody is fun and enjoyable.

"London Calling" - The Clash

"Sub Mission" - The Sex Pistols

"I fought the Law" - The Bobby Fuller Four

"Glass Onion" - The Beatles

"Waterloo Sunset" - The Kinks

HPNFlyGirl said:
I don't do ipod...well not yet anyways.

Don't need one to "play" this game, Brook. Just list six tunes from six different CDs, and tell us why we should buy one of them. :yes:

(I do not own an iPod, either, nor do I plan on getting one any time soon. But I do run iTunes on my Mac Ti laptop, which is my sole entertainment center as much as my work center.)

terry

Today's installment.....

Friday Night at Maybelle's - John McEuen

Turn Your Radio on - John Hartford

White Sandy Beach - Israel Kamakawiwo'ole

In The Mood - Benny Goodman

Seven Bridges Road - Ian Matthews

Jessica - Allman Brothers BAnd

I'd recomend buying White Sandy Beach by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole. This man had a most beautiful voice. So musical was his voice that any instrument other than his uke wasn't needed. Try it...you'll like it.

Frank Browne said:
I'd recomend buying White Sandy Beach by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole. This man had a most beautiful voice. So musical was his voice that any instrument other than his uke wasn't needed. Try it...you'll like it.

Love his under the rainbow song.

6 top, after generating a random playlist against my 1k most listened to songs:

1. Primus - Mrs. Blaileen
2. Nicola Conte - Bossa per Due
3. Hive - Ultrasonic Sound
4. Thievery Corporation - The Richest Man In Babylon
5. Dick Dale - Mexico
6. Named by Strangers - The Captain

I'd pick # 4 as the CD to buy - the CD "Richest Man In Babylon" - filled with lush tracks that capture a truely global sound, different vocals, ethereal bass and very opulent instrumentation. I really, really like this CD, it along with "Nightmares on Wax - Carboot Soul" are DVD player musts for post climbing gym OR for leather chair and gin relaxation.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Laurie said:
Here's my first 6 tracks on one of my flying CD's seeings how I'm the only person left in this century that doesn't own an Ipod thingie.

Well .. that would be two of us. I don't have one either. For me
it's either CD's or XM.

World Where you Live - Crowded House
Stay (Faraway, so close) - U2
Le temps d'une Hirondelle - Mireille (I got this in Paris)
Natural Blues - Moby
Lawyers, Guns and Money - Warren Zevon
Six months in a leaky boat - Split Enz (became Crowded House)

and just for some extras, here are the last ones I've uploaded to the iPod:

Into the Ocean - Blue October
Love you Lately - Daniel Powter
Bad Day - Daniel Powter
Barbie Girl - Aqua (a song that I cannot get out of my head! I heard it again the other day so I uploaded it)
Regret - New Order (I actually have this on a CD somewhere)
Lips of an Angel - Hinder (this reminds me of old big-hair bands ballads)
Chasing Cars - Snow Patrol
Der Kommissar - Falco
Streets of Tomorrow - (the Audi commercial tune)

The Weeping Song - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
Uncertain Smile - the the
School - Supertramp
Labour of Love - Frente!
Sunset Road - Bela Fleck and the Flecktones
Missing - Everything but the Girl

Today:

Don't Eat the Yellow Snow - Frank Zappa (My daughter has learned this one and goes around singing the bass line and the words)
Boogie Joe, the Grinder - Quincy Jones
Don't Look Back - Boston
Ghost Dancer - Asleep at the Wheel
I'll Supply the Love - Toto
Love Me Tender - Elvis

Recommended recent purchase - Peter Frampton's "Fingerprints", a great collection of instrumentals reminding us that Peter is first and foremost a guitarist.

Thanks for inspiring me to post this, Laurie--I had started to and deleted it just ten minutes before you posted a thread about tunes! So I figured that was a sign. I'm hoping PoAers are interested in a fun virtual "tune exchange", or a "Weekend Shuffle"
Well, I normally don't shuffle, but decided to shuffle today (can't fly) and found this incredible song in my iTunes library:

Novus Santana Feat. Placido Domingo Shaman

I have played it 30 times at least and can't wait to listen to it while doing aerobatics. Two men with incredible passion.

Try and Love Again - The Eagles (Hotel California)
Next Contestant - Nickelback (All The Right Rasons)
Only One - James Taylor (Live)
PCH - ZZ Top (Antenna)
True Lies - Kenny Wayne Shepherd (Trouble Is...)
Promises Made - Dan Fogelberg (Nether Lands)

The one to buy:

Next Contestant - Nickelback. Nothing high-brow about this CD, it's just good old rock and roll with great energy. The music is obviously very personal for these guys. I listen to this CD in the hangar a lot, the louder the better and my wife even likes the CD (but rolls her eyes at some of the lyrics). Billy Gibbons (no relation) makes a guest appearance.

Next Contestant is a great song about a guy whose girlfriend is always getting hit on. "Is that your hand on my girlfriend? Is that your hand? I wish you'd do it again. I'll watch you leave here limping." This is not a good album to listen to if you've received a speeding ticket lately. Explicit lyrics.

I LOVE Dan Fogelberg! "To the Morning", "There's a Place In the World for a Gambler", "The River". You've sent me down memory lane. :)
I was standing in my local wine store the other day talking with my friend, and Dan Fogelberg came up on Sirius Radio. MAN, but that brought back memories! It was a phase, but a fondly remembered one. Haven't listened to one of his albums for 15 or 20 years. Wow! I still remember that I first heard one of his songs at YMCA Camp Minikani in Wisconsin. I just checked, and it looks like the camp is still in existance!
edit: Oh, I should note that I don't think I have ANY of Fogelberg's albums in digital form, which is why I haven't listened to them in so long.

Of the ones below, I'd have to say that I really like Putumayo for bringing a BUNCH of different world genres to my attention.

Ry Rooder's Buena Vista Social Club engendres images of Cuban life gone by. I would love to travel there (in a small plane!) and go to the clubs.

Miles Davis' Complete Birth of the Cool is a GREAT album, (as is The Complete Rebirth of the Cool by Gerry Mulligan). They are just perfect albums to just sit and listen to.

Clannad's Sirius album is a neat blend of the ancient celtic and the modern rock.

Note that all these descriptions were derived merely by looking at the titles. I didn't have earphones in to actually listen to the music! :)

1) Concerto in F for Three Violins and Strings. 2nd Movement, Andante. Scottish Chamber Orchestra. Jamie Laredo, John Tunnell, & Paul Manley. (The Great String Concertos.)

2) Mendaa - Go Back. Jeffrey Alfret. (Putumayo Presents A Native American Odyssey: Intui to Inca)

3) Buena Vista Social Club. Ry Cooder. (title track)

4) Rocker. Miles Davis. (Complete Birth of the Cool)

5) Jordan River. Burning Spear. (Putumayo Presents Reggae Around the World)

6) Turning Tide. Sirius. Clannad.

Artists you should may have never heard of that you should check out:
Angeligue Kidjo
Oliver Mtukudzi
Loreena McKennitt
Susanna Baca
Youssou N'Dour
Ali Farka Toure

These are, of course, some of my personal favorites. In addition, Miles Davis, Ray Charles, Clark Terry, Billie Holliday, Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong, ...

Last edited:
1) some tune by aerosmith that's not titled in Itunes
2)A song called "good enough" that sounds like it might be by evanesence
3)A song calle "bring me to life" by the same band, I think
4)"mr Lovely man" by the red hot chile peppers.
5)"lost and found" by brooks and dunn. yee haw.
6) "Weight of the World" by ????

This is not my I tunes.

Dela - Johnny Clegg & Savuka
Hazy Shade of Winter - (remake) Bengals
I write sins and not tragedies - Panic at the Disco
Little Victories - Matt Nathanson
I'm Coming Out - Ms. Diana Ross
The Mountains Win Again - Blues Traveler

Back