Review: Takeoff HD - Aviation Weather App

JohnAJohnson

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
JohnAJohnson
Review: Takeoff - Aviation Weather App

Takeoff - Aviation Weather is available for iOS and Android platforms for $5.99. Takeoff HD - Aviation Weather is available for the iPad at $9.99. There is also a 7 day trial version (Takeoff Lite) available.

I installed Takeoff Lite (the trial version) onto my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (GT-P3113) Android tablet and within an hour, I bought the paid version.

When launched, you can have it default to Nearby, Favorites, Nearby Airport (that you select in advance in the preferences section), or Graphics.

Nearby queries all airports with weather reporting within a radius specified in preferences. I specify 60 NM and get graphics from five airports, showing ceiling, visibility, winds, and crosswinds. Under preferences, I tell the app that I like a ceiling of at least 2500', visibility of 5 miles, max wind of 10 knots, and max crosswind of 8 knots. If all five airports are within these parameters, all the icons on the screen are green, otherwise, the almost-out-of-tolerance items are yellow and the out-of-tolerance values are red. Here's an example of the Nearby display:

nearby.png

If I tap or swipe an airport, I can get details on its current weather:

currentmy.png

And further swipes show the forecast (using the airport's TAFs or TAFs from the closest airport with TAFs), NOTAMs, Images (Surface Progs, RADAR, Icing, etc.), Air/Sigmets, Pireps, Winds Aloft, and Historical info. Here's the Forecast screen:

forecasta.png

I really like this app. It presents all the weather information I need and enables me to quickly decide if I want to fly. If I used my airplane for cross country flying more often, I suspect there would be other apps more suitable for the research that normally goes into a week-long xc. But maybe not. Takeoff actually has direct, push-button access to DUATS, and all graphics available on aviationweather.gov are available here and easily accessed. There is also a menu selection titled Near Route, and it could be one of the better features for those planning a cross country. When selected, just enter your route, such as KFLP KSGF. The resultant screen will show current weather at all METAR airports along your route, and of course selecting any airport leads you to the Forecast, NOTAM, Images, Air/Sigmets, Pireps, Winds Aloft, and Historical data associated with that airport. Here's what Near Route displays:

nearroute.png

To summarize, I'm very impressed with the quality and usefulness of this app and of its support. I found two bugs, both related to the airport database (KBBG was not recognized as an airport, and Baton Rouge actually appeared to be in South Carolina). Both were fixed within 12 hours of their reporting to the software's author.

Last edited:
John, thanks for posting that I'd do the same but my tech capabilities are limited. First a disclaimer, I was one of the beta testers for this app. I did not get paid but did get comped the app when they were done. Regardless I'd happily pay the $5.99 or $9.99in the app store for it for the phone version ( I use it on Android) I also use it on my iPad and that version is $9.99.

I'm not sure if you have the latest version of Takeoff HD. But what you have posted isn't half of what the app does. It is really an incredibly intuitive App. I'd say its ergonomic for the eyes and brain.

Takeoff HD presents the Wx information in very simple straight forward icons customizable for the users minimums including , Wind speed, Cross wind component, ceiling. It gives visual and color coded alerts as to where conditions are at any given reporting point in relation to your minumums including temp/dewpoint spread etc.

It goes beyond just your nearest airports, you can plug in a cross country route using Airports, VORS, Victor Airways, intersections etc. It populates the screen with the Wx info from the sources nearest the various fixes so you can see in advance where you migh run into some issues further along in your route.

Green means things are above your mins red below and yellow means you are approaching your minimums.

Beyond just the Visual ergonomics they have tons of fantasic graphics radar, satellite, surface analaysis, icing levels Global, Sigwx, something like 21 different graphics. Its nice becuase you don't have to drill down through layers to get the information you want. It really is a great program and the developers take suggestions from pilots and incorporate them into the app rather quickly. Unilke some other apps its also pretty fast to load the information.

The guys who wrote this must have employed a human factors expert because its just that easy to interpret things. I'm also told that they have made application to be an offical source for Wx breifings. Not sure yet how they will confirm that a user checked Wx but I'm sure they will get it done.

Last edited:
Wow! Thank you both for the kind words. I wanted to make sure people also get a chance to see our new iPad version, which is even more powerful than the (already powerful) iPhone version.

As for QICP, we are in the application process, and working on solutions to problems like Adam mentioned for that. Stay tuned--but we are working on it!

Last edited:
Back