Review of the Flying Eyes Sunglasses

Bean Outdoors

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Bean Outdoors
We are in the process of adding general aviation items to our website(www.BeanOutdoors.com)...but are proud to start offering an assortment of items for GA. Here we take a look at the Flying Eyes Sunglasses. If you have questions concerning these or need pricing feel free to pm us or email eric@beanoutdoors.com

I have really enjoyed using these glasses. I personally enjoy the wrap around glass style and the small temples is great for headsets.

http://www.flyingeyes.biz/

Click the link below to check out the video review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIacqW2RUss

I like it!

Good that there is recognition of the polarization issue.

Only thing missing for me is a yellow/orange/brownish tint. Neutral gray is lousy at contrast and depresses my mood. The yellowish type tint is what I like to fly and fish with.

We've carried them in our store and on our site for about 2 years now. We love them, and all the options we can provide.

Good review.

I typically have avoided high-dollar sunglasses (these are ~$170) but I just haven't been able to find the cheap sunglasses that I normally wear. So I decided to go back to higher-end sunglasses.

THIN TEMPLES:
I bought a pair of Flying Eyes (solid grey, not polarized) and I have liked them but the strap concept is not compelling to me for flying. They will be nice in the cockpit but I've never really had a big problem with sunglasses under headsets with gel ear seals - just haven't. The thin temples will certainly provide a slightly tighter seal under my Bose A20s though - and that is good. The straps might be nice for hanging them around my neck but then you have to reach behind your head every time you put them back on. I think I'd actually prefer the thin temples for flying.

STRAPS:
I've actually used the strap more for active outdoor sports, particularly mountain biking. These would also be great for river rafting (a big deal here in CO) or boating or other active outdoor sports. They don't jiggle or fall off and the wraparound nature of these means they protect the eyes very well - from wind or dirt or water or whatever.

STYLING:
I'd describe the styling as utilitarian - functional - and that has been enough to justify them within the context above. I do believe that their form fits their function perfectly. But the styling is not what I want for day-to-day casual city wear. For that I bought a pair of Oakley Taper sunglasses (which I could fly with also). I do not wear the Flying Eyes unless I'm doing an activity.

I believe they do offer a polarized version which would be great for water sports/fishing. Would be nice if future versions had an interchangeable lens system.

My $0.0002

Oh and I forgot to mention that Dean is great to work with as well!

Great review petrolero. BTW, you can swap the lenses out. The frames are nylon so you can do it relatively easy.

Back