Tom-D
Very important info .....

Google has implemented a new feature which enables you to type a telephone
number into the search bar and hit enter and you will be given the person's
name and address. If you then hit Map you will get a map to the person's
house.. Everyone should be aware of this! It's a nationwide reverse
telephone book.

If a child gives out his/her phone number, someone can now look it up to
find out where he/she lives. The safety issues are obvious, and alarming!!!

Note that you can have your phone number removed or blocked. I tried my
number and it came up along with the mapquest and directions straight to our
house. I did fill out the removal form for myself, and encourage all of you
to do the same. Quite scary!

Please look up your own number!!!!!!!

In order to test whether your phone number is mapped, go to: Google (
http://www.google.com/ ) Type your phone number in the search bar (i.e.
555-555-1212) and hit enter. If you want to BLOCK Google from divulging your
private information, simply click on your telephone number and then click on
the Removal Form. Removal takes 48-hours.

Check your own number and (although this may not apply to you if you have an
unlisted number or cell phone as primary contact).

You may know someone who needs to know this -that would have little kids.

It takes Sex Offenders right to your front door!!

Please share this information with friends and family.

Very important info .....

Google has implemented a new feature which enables you to type a telephone
number into the search bar and hit enter and you will be given the person's
name and address. If you then hit Map you will get a map to the person's
house.. Everyone should be aware of this! It's a nationwide reverse
telephone book.

If a child gives out his/her phone number, someone can now look it up to
find out where he/she lives. The safety issues are obvious, and alarming!!!

Note that you can have your phone number removed or blocked. I tried my
number and it came up along with the mapquest and directions straight to our
house. I did fill out the removal form for myself, and encourage all of you
to do the same. Quite scary!

Please look up your own number!!!!!!!

In order to test whether your phone number is mapped, go to: Google (
http://www.google.com/ ) Type your phone number in the search bar (i.e.
555-555-1212) and hit enter. If you want to BLOCK Google from divulging your
private information, simply click on your telephone number and then click on
the Removal Form. Removal takes 48-hours.

Check your own number and (although this may not apply to you if you have an
unlisted number or cell phone as primary contact).

You may know someone who needs to know this -that would have little kids.

It takes Sex Offenders right to your front door!!

Please share this information with friends and family.

Yay chain letters. I think I saw this first about 2 or 3 years ago. You realize that even without google, you can get this information very easily through multiple tools, right?

Reverse lookup has been available on the internet as long as I can remember, and typing the address into almost any search engine will give you a map. Before the internet, one could get this information easily as well. This is nothing new.

None of my numbers came up on Google. Even when I used Switchboard.com for a search of my home number, the paid service advertised provided teasers that lead me to believe it has and address from four years ago. It was since carried from BellGoneSouth to Vonage. Likewise, my cell number shows an address from five years ago and I've since changed carriers for cellular service.

Google came up with a wrong address for me. But I requested it be removed anyway.

...and, not surprisingly, the map feature uses Google Maps not Mapquest.

-Skip

Reverse lookup is a pay service. If your number appears on a website, it can be googled free just like any text/number string.

Reverse lookup is a pay service.
No, all you need to do is type the phone number into the Google search box. I have known that for a long time. Frankly I don't care if my address comes up. I have had a listed phone number and address for as long as I can remember. Because of that, I've gotten some interesting calls and letters from people way back in my past who I had long ago lost touch with.

my cynical self says a sneaky web service would start a chain letter like this, then capture the phone number entered along with IP address and anything else it could glean from your connection information and have another source of data ... fine print somewhere says "entering your phone number constitutes permission to use this and all other information" ...

WoW I guess I'm still naive in the way of the internet advertisers.

My first impression was I didn't want my info out there. but when I did the number search it only came up with the places I had volunteered the info anyway.

And, they wanted my to buy a service I don't need.

Sorry I spooked.. and waisted your time.

Switchboard.com and whitepages.com both feature reverse lookup services. We used to use them at the TV station all the time...

As a courier, I often use Google for address searches not in my mapping software. A few times, reverse number lookup worked for me.

Google USED to provide links to Yahoo and Mapquest map pages along with their own. I prefer the Google map format but the other immediate links would be nice for the times Google doesn't list the location.

Yep. Nothing new. Note that number has to be published to show up.

Didja know that if you type in an aircraft N-number into Google that works, too? Horrors! ;)

Yep. Nothing new. Note that number has to be published to show up.

Didja know that if you type in an aircraft N-number into Google that works, too? Horrors! ;)

I tried the n-number thing again recently, and it no longer works. Did google stop doing it? (of course, the first result is almost always the right answer anyways, but its not the FAA's site anymore).

I tried the n-number thing again recently, and it no longer works. Did google stop doing it? (of course, the first result is almost always the right answer anyways, but its not the FAA's site anymore).

I was wondering about that...I tried it a night or two ago and couldn't get it to work. You always had to make sure to put the "N" first, but now it doesn't matter how many Ns you have, it won't put the FAA site at the top. Instead you have to click through 900 pages on the FAA website instead.

Taking the n-number search off google makes n-numbers about as secure as the TSA makes airports.

Nah. Prolly just that the FAA got outbid for the Adwords. :D

Back