Reunion with a friend

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
I went out to Stearman field today to see what was going on, and there wasnt much action. I visited on the phone with Adam Kite and then started to head home. On the way I thought I would stop by the Wichita Gliderport and see if anything was going on. Brad and I had seen a glider flying around there yesterday on our way home from Beaumont. Well as I got closer I saw a glider circling and sure enough they had three gliders out giving rides. A Grob 103, Schweizer 2-33 and an IS28-B2 Lark. Turn out, it was Matt Michael's old Lark that I posted about here.

I introduced myself to the pilot, who is the local DE, and mentioned that I used to fly this glider. Small world sort of moment. I helped pull the glider back to the beginning of the runway and then he asked if I would like the front or back seat. I saddled up and away we went. Took a 3000 AGL tow, and with a Cessna 185 pulling it didnt take long to get there! Charles showed me the local landmarks and talked a little about their local procedures while i tried to center a weak thermal. Ended up with a 400 foot gain! Peaked out just above 5000 MSL. then down we came. I made a nice enough landing and then hung around helping run wings and stuff while they were giving rides. unfortunately im not 90 day current or i wouldve given a ride or two.

Anyway Matt's old lark hasn't changed much, still flies nicely. Only took me a few turns to get the coordination feel back. It took a minute to get used to having flaps to play around with in a glider, but it wasnt too tricky. Ended up with about a half hour. Not too bad!

oh i forgot another small world moment. one of the guys in the group taking rides was a friend of mine from college. There was a group of 5 of them that had gotten laid off from Cessna. He was telling them how he had a friend in college who flew gliders, and then I showed up.

Nice. Plenty of aviation action down there I'm sure.

Wasn't it nice that, the first time you fly with this guy, and he's a DE, you fly well, milk a good climb out of weak lift, and make a nice landing?

Betcha that credibility pays off one fine day.

OBTW, what is the "90-day currency" of which you speak? I know it has been less than ninety days since you flew your pants off (so to speak) in Marfa.

Wasn't it nice that, the first time you fly with this guy, and he's a DE, you fly well, milk a good climb out of weak lift, and make a nice landing?

Betcha that credibility pays off one fine day.

OBTW, what is the "90-day currency" of which you speak? I know it has been less than ninety days since you flew your pants off (so to speak) in Marfa.

oh yea...i guess i am current. i apparently am not too good at math or calendars.

Nice. Plenty of aviation action down there I'm sure.

true enough. theres so many airports around here its scary. check out a sectional of the area. The Wichita Gliderport is halfway between Jabarra and Stearman Field. Wind was southerly so we were flying to the south, right in between Jabarra, Stearman, Beech, and Augusta. We were at about 5000 max so there are always arrivals into Mid Continent to worry about. And of course you are in the middle of an Alert Area for the Air Force Base, although I didnt see any KC-135's out today. Doubt they do much Sunday flying. All in all, its the sort of area where you keep your eyes outside...

HA HA what a DORk! Classic.

It's early spring, you are a glider pilot, no way you could be current...

I guess you flunked temporal mechanics

I love the story about the guy from college waiting for a ride and then you show up

yea i was just thinking that this is the 3rd month, and i was flying mostly at the beginning of janaury, and yea...

LOL, Tony I was going to tell you that you were current but Spike beat me to it. I am jealous, I finished a beautiful pint job on the Jantar tonight so it wont be long now. We had wave as far as I could see yesterday and here I am working on my glider! I hope to fly a Lark someday.

Back