Returning to Flying

jdangel

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
JeffInBoston
Hopefully for my first post here I haven't asked a FAQ, etc.

I got my PPL in 1991 at VNY (Van Nuys, CA) and shortly thereafter moved back to the Boston area. Flew for a bit for a grand total of only around 90 hours (almost all 172 time) and quit that same year due to finances, life, etc.

I am now in a position to return to flying, and have been over the years reading about it via magazines, etc so I am not starting from square one, but am confused about the best approach to getting back. I now have a family, kids, etc so life is more complicated, but the itch has been there all these years still.

Obviously some time with an instructor is in order to begin with.

What would people suggest for most efficient use of instructor time, and also self study to get current again? Buy a copy of the king videos again? Gleim?

Also, I am considering switching to low wing aircraft (warriors, etc) as I am thinking of starting to build an RV. Nothing like going from -0- back to building an aircraft (LOL).

Thanks for your time, and looking forward to hearing some advice.

-- Jeff

I've helped a few people get back into flying, including a few who hadn't flown since the 80's. Each one has come to me a little confused and not sure what to do. But we quickly solve that problem (and try to have a lot of fun in the process!) One of these guys is off flying his own Mooney now.

As for efficient use of your time with the instructor, I think it pays to come up with some kind of mini-syllabus that you will go by, something with specific goals and completion standards in mind. This as opposed to flying X number of hours sort of haphazardly with no clear plan. You can use the Private Pilot PTS as a guide. After all, you will need to earn a flight review endorsement, and you are supposed to be able to perform to private PTS standards.

The first flight with your instructor will give both of you an idea of where you're at. Then your instructor can design a plan of action and guide you as far as what to study and what your lessons will entail.

For self-study materials, in my experience, just about anything works-- pick whatever fits your learning style. Gleim might be a good choice because of its trimmed-down writing style (perhaps good for a review).

Welcome to POA!

Jeff, Welcome to the board! You're in a great place with some awesome knowledge and even some good entertainment by a few of our members who are as nutty as the FAA. :)

In June 2005, I returned to flying after 19 years away from it. A lot had changed; obviously, much more than the ten you've been away. My major obstacle was I had a 709 review to prepare for so it took me about twenty hours in flight, a decent ground course at home and maybe ten hours of ground with my CFI.

I've since earned an instrument rating and commercial certificate. Now, I'm scheduled to take the ride for CFI in the next week. {Imagine tightly crossed fingers!}

You obviously don't have that hurdle but you want to prepare to be as safe in your return to the sky. I would suggest a good ground course to bring you up to par on the knowledge. Generally, you'll go with whatever is used by the school or FBO you'll be flying with. If they don't have a preference, the Jeppensen books are a great option and very comprehensive.

Instructors are in high demand right now. In most areas of the country, there's a heavy shortage. That's certainly true at my school and for the first time in over a decade, they are hiring from outside the school. Because of that, it's much more likely you can end up with a CFI who won't be with you for the duration re-establishing yourself.

I would suggest carefully looking for seasoned instructors who are there to stay and not building time for the first hiring call by a regional airline. Even if they are airline bound, the best instructors are there to work on furthering their skills and knowledge as an instructor thereby improving their skills as pilot; building time is a byproduct. Don't be afraid to ask folks. Ideally, you want someone who is also a CFII and can continue with into an instrument rating. There are many great instructors on the board but I'm not sure how close you would be to any.

I wouldn't set a limit on how much flight time it takes. Start with the attitude you have to learn from scratch and see how much you do know. As you fly and study, some things will pop into place for you while others take some time. Within the first couple hours, your instructor will be able to work through a plan of attack customized for your needs based on a standard syllabus. Either way, take the time and enjoy learning.

If you have an AOPA membership, there is a guide on the following link that gives an outline of the changes from various points in history.
http://www.aopa.org/members/files/guides/getback.html

If you don't have AOPA at this time, send a PM to me with your email address and I'll paste the entire page in an email to ya.

I wish ya the best of luck and a lot of fun returning to the sky!

My personal experience with this sort of thing is limited to getting back in the saddle after only (!?) four years, but I think I am not disagreeing with others here or steering you wrong when I say:

You will be surprised how much you remember... and how much you've forgotten.

You may just need a heavy-duty BFR; you may need some serious review.
Assume nothing at this point- find an instructor who understands your position, hit the books for a while, and go up there and see where you stand. From there, a review syllabus may be required, or maybe not.

For what it's worth, here's how I did it... more total hours and a shorter hiatus than you, but it had been so long I didn't even feel like a pilot anymore:

Dusted off my Gleim books and flash cards, bought a fresh FAR/AIM, and mentally prepared with those for a few weeks; scheduled a BFR with all my cards on the table and a "please don't rubber-stamp me" attitude; got dragged over the coals in the classroom and in the air (two separate flight reviews); got the nod from the instructor (who was very tough and thorough- a young immigrant ATP with three giant binders of his personal collection of study material and impeccable flight habits), then started taking baby steps by myself: lots of pattern work, then air work, then short hops to old familiar places. Haven't really moved "forward" with my flight training since then as I'd hoped, but I did get over my initial hesitance, knocked the rust off and patched up a few holes, and I'm enjoying flying more than ever.

Whe I first learned to fly I was in another country and had to learn all the US rules to get my PPL. The US rules at that time had thing like TRSA, TCA, and CCAs in them. When I returned to flying in the 1990s all had changed. What I found worked the best for me was the Machado book, the King videos and the Gleim test pack. As for the flying part Ken is right, a lot of CFIs are young time builders so develop a very good syllabus to get back into to flying that can be followed and documented by several CFIs.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

I have a flight tomorrow with someone with around 2600 hours who just passed her ATP. I am also going to try the senior instructor (11K hours, flys for Fedex I believe) for contrast.

I have my Jeppeson book, but since it was written prior to the ABC airspace reclassification in the mid 90s I will need to get another one. I might even just get a John and Martha Flight review DVD for the fun of it, always did like their presentation style.

I am not going to put a timeline on the amount of hours it is going to take. I actually am starting a new job mid january so for now I have time on my hands so I was considering flying a lot and studying to get back quickly. One priority is to get more comfortable than I was in past times with regards to the local airspace, etc.

Thanks again and look forward to participating in the forums!

-- Jeff

Jeff - sounds like you have a good attitude, and that is key. I had a similar student, earlier this year. After a layoff from flying since 1979 i got him back up to speed. We both pretty much operated on the premise that it would take as long as it would take, and it worked out very well.

welcome to the forums, look forward to hearing more from you!

Can't say anything more about getting back into the air than already has been said. If you haven't found a flight school in the local Boston area, let me recommend Shoreline Aviation in Marshfield. They now have 4 instructors so you're more likely to find one that fits your learning style. The advantage of Marshfield is it's proximity to the Cape and the islands. It makes for great destinations while you're learning.
Plymouth is also a nice place. A couple of FBOs down there with a good selection of aircraft. Alpha One is a nice place. Same advantage to the Cape and islands.
Trip from Boston proper off hours would be about 40-50 minutes.

John:

I actually live in the Framingham area, so you are right (40-50 minutes). I am going back to Hanscom (east coast Aero club) to try it out, however I am open to other possibilities. My hope was to find an airport closer to home as that would also eventually be where I would base my own aircraft if I ever get to that stage ;)

Thanks for the suggestion.

-- Jeff

Well Jeff, Welcome back to flying,i was looking at my planner for the nearest airport to you and it looks like Marlborough would be closest.hope this helps, and keep us posted. also join us in the chatroom at night.
Dave G

Just a quick update in case anyone cares (lol). I got in two flights with two different instructors at two different airports over the last couple of days (ORD and BED).

In my opinion and apparently the opinion of the instructors, it all came back very quickly. On my way home from the first flight I called King schools and ordered the Private course to update my ancient VHS one.

I am totally hooked, except when I see the price of rentals.... Ughhh... there is going to have to be some way to get my fix in for less... (get a CFI rating and have someone else pay perhaps) :) Or buy something and get the ratings in that....

Thanks for the encouragement. I am back!

-- Jeff

I might even just get a John and Martha Flight review DVD for the fun of it, always did like their presentation style.
I knew someone must like their style! :rofl: Actually, I have several of their DVD's too, and they're pretty good. I still wouldn't admit I like their style, though! :no::rolleyes:
I actually live in the Framingham area, so you are right (40-50 minutes).
Wow, I lived in Framingham back in the early '70s. Bet it's changed. A LOT!
Just a quick update in case anyone cares (lol). I got in two flights with two different instructors at two different airports over the last couple of days (ORD and BED).
Just getting back into it and flying into O'Hare already! I'm very impressed!:yes:;)
In my opinion and apparently the opinion of the instructors, it all came back very quickly. On my way home from the first flight I called King schools and ordered the Private course to update my ancient VHS one.

I am totally hooked, except when I see the price of rentals.... Ughhh... there is going to have to be some way to get my fix in for less... (get a CFI rating and have someone else pay perhaps) :) Or buy something and get the ratings in that....

Thanks for the encouragement. I am back!

-- Jeff
And welcome! Both back to aviation and to this board!

Back