Returning After 25yr Hiatus - Medical Advice

Bob Stanley

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Piper
Hey Everybody,

First post here. I gave up flying for a long time, over money vs. family, now in my 50's and thinking about returning. I'm sorry for the Ask in my very first post, but is there a Dr in the house I can PM for a really quick bit of advice regarding a 3rd class medical?

Thanks in Advance

I'm not sure if that's global for him or if I need to be vetted first, post a dozen messages first, what have you.
Bruce has PMs disabled; best to reach out to him via the above website.

What I would offer as the #1 rule would be this: No matter what your age, your health, your history, or anything else, never, EVER, submit an application for an FAA medical certificate until you know for absolute 100% certain it will be issued.

If you have any doubt about that point, read some of the other threads in this forum and see what has happened.

What I would offer as the #1 rule would be this: No matter what your age, your health, your history, or anything else, never, EVER, submit an application for an FAA medical certificate until you know for absolute 100% certain it will be issued.

If you have any doubt about that point, read some of the other threads in this forum and see what has happened.

Rule #2 - once you've run the FAA medical maze, go to Basic Med unless there's some absolutely compelling reason not to. The less exposure to the FAA medical branch the better.

I came back a few years ago after 25 years out, same thing. I got some advice from Bruce, took me a year to get all my ducks lined up mostly due to procrastination, found a good local AME and got my medical. Make sure you know the answer will be yes before you apply for a medical, otherwise, if you are denied, you will not be able to fly sport.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back