Returning after 20 years

jh6432

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Nick Harris
First I will provide the background -

I got my Private Certificate when I was 17. I then graduated from High School, became a starving student, got married to a woman with a 5 year old, and have now raised 2 kids. I am now at a point in my life that I wish to return to the sky and have the time and can afford it.

Now the question

Does anyone care to share some suggestions on the best way to get back up to speed? I have my medical scheduled for next week, and have been studying the FAR/AIM, the BFR guide, reviewing AOPA training videos and figure that I will need a good block of time with an instructor both in the air and ground and obviously want to minimize my ground time to save the money for the air.

My goal is to get my instrument and commercial.

First, welcome to PoA!

This question has come up a few times here. Unfortunately, I cannot find the threads readily. Hopefully someone else has them saved.

Basically, you'll need to do a current medical (make sure you can pass before actually doing it, so as not to preclude Sport Pilot as an alternative). You'll also need to do a Flight Review (which you probably know as a BFR). Sign up at www.faasafety.gov and take some of their online courses, especially the one entitled ALC-25 -- Flight Review Prep Guide. You'll probably need more than a couple of hours training before you're ready to fly solo again. I think I've seen a rule of thumb of 1 hour for each year you've been inactive. It is, however, just a rule of thumb.

From your post, it looks as if you're already up on a lot of this. Congratulations! And Welcome Back!

Last edited:
First, welcome to PoA!

This question has come up a few times here. Unfortunately, I cannot find the threads readily. Hopefully someone else has them saved.

Basically, you'll need to do a current medical (make sure you can pass before actually doing it, so as not to preclude Sport Pilot as an alternative). You'll also need to do a Flight Review (which you probably know as a BFR). Sign up at www.faasafety.gov and take some of their online courses, especially the one entitled ALC-25 -- Flight Review Prep Guide. You'll probably need more than a couple of hours training before you're ready to fly solo again. I think I've seen a rule of thumb of 1 hour for each year you've been inactive. It is, however, just a rule of thumb.

From your post, it looks as if you're already up on a lot of this. Congratulations! And Welcome Back!

Thank for the tips. I am expecting something in the range of 20 hours to be come proficient and more importantly SAFE. IF I were not to be able to pass the medical, it would be a big disappointment. Looks like the only part that could be sketchy is that I have Psoriasis but since I only treat with topicals it should not be a problem.

I got my Private Certificate when I was 17. I then graduated from High School, became a starving student, got married to a woman with a 5 year old, and have now raised 2 kids. I am now at a point in my life that I wish to return to the sky and have the time and can afford it.

Now the question

Does anyone care to share some suggestions on the best way to get back up to speed? I have my medical scheduled for next week, and have been studying the FAR/AIM, the BFR guide, reviewing AOPA training videos and figure that I will need a good block of time with an instructor both in the air and ground and obviously want to minimize my ground time to save the money for the air.

Make sure you can pass the medical before you go. Do not start to fill out the FAA form if there are any questions. Talk to the doctor first. You don't want to blow the Sport Pilot option just because you took the wrong kind of medication for the wrong reason some time in the past. AOPA has a turbo medical form you can fill out ahead of time to see if there are any gotcha's. (You can get a 6 month free trial membership)

For the most part, flying is the easy part - it may take a while to get the landings back - I did 54 as part of the flight review. Getting caught up on the air space and radio stuff is the PITA part.

The instrument is a good idea, especially if you intend to use it regularly.

Why get a commercial? John Travolta used to fly his 707 on a private. Harrison Ford and Morgan Freeman fly their jets on a private certificate.

Try to pick a CFI wisely. Even for your reintroduction work, get someone with some charter time, preferably in piston twins flying all over in junky weather.

The biggest things for you, I think, will be airspace rules and radio chatter. Also, TFRs, ADIZ, and other restrictions.
Good news is that the airplanes you'll be flying were most likely flying back when you were 17, so no change there. It's just when, where, and how you fly them that might have changed.

One way to get up to speed on all the rules, regs, airspace, weather, aerodynamics, etc., is to take a weekend Flight Instructor Refresher Couse or do one on line. They usually give a discount to non-CFI's since the provider doesn't have to do the renewal paperwork.

Now the question

Welcome to POA !!

Congrats on getting back in the air....:thumbsup:

I think a great way to know "what you don't know" or "what you forgot" is to go take some of the AOPA Air Safety Institute Online Interactive Courses.

The top ones I would recommend to start with:
Runway Safety
Know Before You Go: Navigating Today’s Airspace
Say It Right: Mastering Radio Communication
Essential Aerodynamics: Stalls, Spins, and Safety

http://www.aopa.org/asf/online_courses/

I think they are amazing classes, and I beleive they count towards the FAA WINGS program.

If you arent a member, it is free to sign up online.

Back