Return to flight... planning software..

Doggtyred

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Dave
Return to flight... planning software.. E-logbook...

After an 8 year hiatus I plan to return to active flying soon. School is finished, starting a new gig, my debt is resolving. I've got the local flying club lined up, an instructor, a plan for a special issuance medical, and of course I still have all my flight bag goodies.

What has changed dramatically in that time is the options for flight planning. I have an Ipad (wifi only) and Iphone and a Mac Mini at the house.

The last time I was actively flying I had paper Jepps, an electronic copy of the AFD I kept on my phone, did rough planning using some software i dont even remember the name of, and was discarded several computers ago. Once upon a time I even remember using my palm pilot copy of the AFD in a subscription I once had (yea.. long time ago).. So yea, I embrace technology (but would still practice with the whiz wheel and chart to stay proficient)

I plan on doing my own research and homework, but I also see little point to reinventing the wheel.

I am asking for the good, the bad, and the ugly regarding flight planning and mission-relevant software. Wanting recommendations for something that works well on the desktop as well as on an Ipad (and with some limitation, on an Iphone as well).

What have you used? what worked? What didn't?

Edited to add - do you use an electronic logbook to supplement the paper book? What is your preference? I have the paper dumped copy from years ago from a program I no longer have installed...

Last edited:
I don't have spare payload for a tablet anymore, so I just go to Skyvector and map the route there, then put together a rough airport guide along the route. For some reason I always have trouble figuring runway directions, so I sketch little diagrams using AF/D. Then I use a paper sectional in flight.

If I were an IFR driver, I would've gone whole hog on electronics. I had a passable success with Naviator for Android in the past. Modern glass really reduces the effort required and could help with task load, depending.

After an 8 year hiatus I plan to return to active flying soon. School is finished, starting a new gig, my debt is resolving. I've got the local flying club lined up, an instructor, a plan for a special issuance medical, and of course I still have all my flight bag goodies.

What has changed dramatically in that time is the options for flight planning. I have an Ipad (wifi only) and Iphone and a Mac Mini at the house.

The last time I was actively flying I had paper Jepps, an electronic copy of the AFD I kept on my phone, did rough planning using some software i dont even remember the name of, and was discarded several computers ago. Once upon a time I even remember using my palm pilot copy of the AFD in a subscription I once had (yea.. long time ago).. So yea, I embrace technology (but would still practice with the whiz wheel and chart to stay proficient)

I plan on doing my own research and homework, but I also see little point to reinventing the wheel.

I am asking for the good, the bad, and the ugly regarding flight planning and mission-relevant software. Wanting recommendations for something that works well on the desktop as well as on an Ipad (and with some limitation, on an Iphone as well).

What have you used? what worked? What didn't?

Just load foreflight pro (think you have to run iOS 7.something for the new version). Only thing is since Apple is kinda a cheap SOB only the iPads with cellular have a GPS built in.

Try ForeFlight, Garmin Pilot and FlyQ EFB. All three have things to commend them and all three are free for 30 days the last time I checked. Your current iPad (small I!) will work for flight planning and en route charts, but if you want to see your position and speed you'll need to pop $100 for a GPS for it. Look at the Garmin GLO, Bad Elf and Dual units. Or go whole hog and get an ADS-B unit with GPS compatible with your favorite app.

The iPad was game-changer for GA. It's the only way to go. Enjoy!

The only app I know of that works on both desktop and tablet is fltplan.com. I used it for a year before moving to FF, but recently re-loaded the iPad app. fltplan.com's target user is corporate GA, so while it has the same capabilites as the other apps mentioned, the UI is a little old school. Sort of like DOS command line vs windows, but not that drastic.

Actually, now that I think about it, it is not a desktop app at all, you just access it through the browser. But you can set up a profile, do your flight planning, save it and then synch it to your tablet.

The ipad app lags behind the other apps mentioned above, but the price is right...totally free. There is an Android version too, if you are an anti-i person.

The one thing fltplan.com does that no other app does (that I have found), is use historical winds aloft data when you are planning a flight in the future beyond the current WA forecast. Great for armchair flight planning months in advance.

I've beed using Foreflight for 3+ years and don't have any paper charts at all. It's not the greatest flight planning tool, it will only use cruise speed and fuel burn, so you have to adjust the times and fuel required. On most spam cans, it's not a big difference, unless you are cutting the reserves really close. :D
While I use an iPad and love it, some prefer other types of tablets, so I'll let that be your call.;) Foreflight "pro" is $150.00 per year and with the appropriate tablet it will show your position in flight. :yes: With iPads it has to have cellular capability, does not have to be activated, just have 3 or 4G configuration. It works quite well in flight, and as a bonus you can play music off your iPad. :D

I tried the free trial of wing x pro,I prefer Fore flight pro. Haven't used paper charts since Fore flight was introduced. Also have the stratus II .

I've beed using Foreflight for 3+ years and don't have any paper charts at all. It's not the greatest flight planning tool, it will only use cruise speed and fuel burn, so you have to adjust the times and fuel required. On most spam cans, it's not a big difference, unless you are cutting the reserves really close. :D
While I use an iPad and love it, some prefer other types of tablets, so I'll let that be your call.;) Foreflight "pro" is $150.00 per year and with the appropriate tablet it will show your position in flight. :yes: With iPads it has to have cellular capability, does not have to be activated, just have 3 or 4G configuration. It works quite well in flight, and as a bonus you can play music off your iPad. :D

On that note, as a Foreflight user who is not changing anytime soon, is there a better tool out there for flight planning? I'd like to draw out my flight plan in Foreflight and then use another app to basically generate a navlog with accurate fuel burns, time, perhaps multiple altitudes, etc. Probably wouldn't use it in flight, but it would be handy for planning.

On that note, as a Foreflight user who is not changing anytime soon, is there a better tool out there for flight planning? I'd like to draw out my flight plan in Foreflight and then use another app to basically generate a navlog with accurate fuel burns, time, perhaps multiple altitudes, etc. Probably wouldn't use it in flight, but it would be handy for planning.

I have found Garmin Pilot to be very accurate for flight planning (fuel burn, flight time, etc). GP does use climb, cruise and decent fuel burn and speeds which helps with accuracy. However, I have found that the BEST flight planning "app" (in terms of accuracy and lots of detail) is FltPlan.com. Another benefit to FltPlan.com is that you can use it with the ipad or Android apps or just online with the good ol' laptop PC.

When I compare GP and fltplan.com with the same flight and same variables they seem to spit out very similar results so I end up using GP for most of my flight planning.

I don't know, I used DUAT for years and I had it dialed in pretty good, even in the 421, I would be within 5 gallons on most flights!:D And time was usually within 5 minutes, depending on ATC.:D

Back