Retrofitting dual controls to a Bonanza?

MSPAviator

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
MSPAviator
I know this is a silly question, but how much would it cost to retrofit a Beechcraft Bonanza from having a throwover yoke to one with dual controls?

It's a Beech G-35 if that matters.

I know this is a silly question, but how much would it cost to retrofit a Beechcraft Bonanza from having a throwover yoke to one with dual controls?

It's a Beech G-35 if that matters.

$1000-$3,500 depending on how fancy you want to get with it.
Cygnet (what I have) makes a good yoke... about $2500 (EDIT: Looks like they're $3K). You can pick up "old style" ones on the internetz (eBay, Barnstormers etc..) for about $1K. You can also rent them from various sources if you only need it for a month or so.

If you just need it for transition training, you can rent one.

I think he was yoking.

Yeah, I misunderstood. I thought he was saying you could rent the yoke assembly itself, have it installed, and then revert. Must have been tired when I read that. ;)

Yeah, I misunderstood. I thought he was saying you could rent the yoke assembly itself, have it installed, and then revert. Must have been tired when I read that. ;)

But that is what he was saying, wasn't it?

Check the link in Jesse's post:

"New Kent Aviation has available for rent a dual yoke for your Beechcraft Bonanza!"

Yes, you can do that, if you need it for much longer than a BFR, it makes more sense to buy one IMHO.

That is exactly what a lot of people do. Rent, install, train, revert, send rental back. Very common in the Bo community.

It makes a lot of sense, since the dual yoke takes up a lot of knee room on the right as compared to the single throwover yoke. I removed my dual yoke and it now sits wrapped up. It took around ten minutes to switch it out.

It makes a lot of sense, since the dual yoke takes up a lot of knee room on the right as compared to the single throwover yoke. I removed my dual yoke and it now sits wrapped up. It took around ten minutes to switch it out.

In addition to 'renting' it for good money, there is also the option of borrowing it from someone like AcroBoy ;) .

Changing yokes is not a difficult or time-consuming task.

Hmm, it never occurred to me that rental would be an option. Interesting... I would probably buy one though as my primary reason for owning the plane is for dual instruction towards an IR rating and Commercial certificate.

I would probably buy one though as my primary reason for owning the plane is for dual instruction towards an IR rating and Commercial certificate.

Check with your instructor, he may hold a LOA (or is approved under that new FAR) to instruct with a throw-over yoke. Some of those CFIs won't do primary instruction with that but working with a experienced pilot they may not require a dual yoke. Put wanted ad on beechtalk.

Back