Retro-fitting a shoulder harness

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
I'm trying to figure out what I need to do in order to legally instal a shoulder harness kit in a 1948 C170. I tried asking the question on the type board (170 Association) with no joy so far, so I figured I'd try here.

From what I have gathered, since there is no pre-existing fittings to attach a harness it won't qualify as a minor alteration since drilling would probably be required.

So, what do I need to do? I imagine an STC would be needed, but what do I need to do to get the appropriate STC? Anyone done something similar? Tom-D - what do you have in your '48?

+1 - I have these in my Bonanza, and I would never consider owning a plane without 'em. Very well-conceived product, easy to use and not at all intrusive.

Many and many are the accidents where the plane maintained its structural integrity, but the pilot and front passenger were grievously injured or killed as a result of traumatic impact of the head/face to the instrument panel.

Last edited:
Yep, they're the next thing going in the 310....

I had a favorite 185 that these were installed in, the young man that bought the 185 was chasing a wolf pack in Denali park, he crossed a ridge at very low altitude and made a left turn, got caught in the rotor curl, and went into the trees upside down.

his pax was not wearing his shoulder harness, He was, he survived, the pax did not.

IMHO they are required equipment.

By the way, when this guy bought his Baron, the folks at BeechTalk basically browbeat (brow-beated? brow-bat?) him into getting the BAS harnesses right away. Results, as it worked out, were tow living, breathing souls after an unfortunate event.

http://www.beechtalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=51575

Unfortunately, the thread linked discusses the Cessna kit, but got off track when folks started talking about the BAS one. The original question of what was involved in installing the Cessna kit was never really resolved. I kind of prefer the Cessna one - would rather not have to cut through the headliner and I have long enough arms that reaching the flap handle shouldn't be a problem (I've been flying a 172C lately with the same trim wheel and johnson bar as the 170s and have no problem reaching the flaps with the shoulder strap on). Plus there is almost a $1000 price difference in parts between the two.

I'll keep the BAS kit in mind though - thanks.

Unfortunately, the thread linked discusses the Cessna kit, but got off track when folks started talking about the BAS one. The original question of what was involved in installing the Cessna kit was never really resolved. I kind of prefer the Cessna one - would rather not have to cut through the headliner and I have long enough arms that reaching the flap handle shouldn't be a problem (I've been flying a 172C lately with the same trim wheel and johnson bar as the 170s and have no problem reaching the flaps with the shoulder strap on). Plus there is almost a $1000 price difference in parts between the two.

Yeah, but you want the BAS kit since you get a double shoulder harness. If you're going to go through the hassle and expense of adding a harness then you might as well do it right.

Hooker is pretty much the only name in harnesses in acro where it really counts all the time. I might not be here today if not for the 5 point harness I was wearing when we put a Pitts into the Chesapeake Bay. The Hooker system is highly customizable with or without ratchets and in just about any color you can imagine. My first call about a certified installation in any aircraft would be to Hooker.

Hooker is pretty much the only name in harnesses in acro where it really counts all the time. I might not be here today if not for the 5 point harness I was wearing when we put a Pitts into the Chesapeake Bay. The Hooker system is highly customizable with or without ratchets and in just about any color you can imagine. My first call about a certified installation in any aircraft would be to Hooker.

The Hooker 5 point is a little over the top if your not planing to go acro.

I am with Henning, 100%; the extra $$$ is worth it for the materially better protection.

First thing I did when I bought the cherokee more than 10 years ago - shoulder harnesses for the front.

If there's not an STC, then the effort for a 337 is well-worth it.

I keep the seatbelt tight and the shoulder harness on but loose so I can reach the flap and fuel levers. My philosophy is I should have plenty of time to turn off fuel switch and tighten the shoulder harness (and scream) before anything happens.

I keep the seatbelt tight and the shoulder harness on but loose so I can reach the flap and fuel levers. My philosophy is I should have plenty of time to turn off fuel switch and tighten the shoulder harness (and scream) before anything happens.

The BAS allows you complete freedom of movement to do all that stuff, and has inertia reel so you don't have to remember to tighten anything up.

Hooker Harness kits are available without the crotch strap. Inertial reels are available by custom order.

Cessna fixed shoulder harness kit (per seat)
(Includes new double adjustable seat belt, shoulder harness, installation kit with necessary hardware, brackets and the STC paperwork). Currently covers installation in Cessna models 120, 140, 140A, 150, 152, 170, 172, 175, 180, 182 (except R182 and TR 182), 185, 205, 206, and 210 (through F model). Installation does not require drilling holes in the external skin or the removal of the wings. Installation is accomplished from within the airplane. Installation time usually runs 60-90 minutes with the headliner removed.

[Not affiliated with Hooker, but I do have two Hooker 4-point belt assemblies with inertial reels installed in our airplane with 500+ flight hrs in service.]

Last edited:
The BAS allows you complete freedom of movement to do all that stuff, and has inertia reel so you don't have to remember to tighten anything up.

I chose not to get inertial reel - it was twice the cost and I've seen too many that were broken.

Man, I have never heard of one failing. Inertial reels are not exactly cutting-edge, unproven technology.

No SDRs found for BAS products.

From BAS? Can you reference that? It may alter my plans.

Not from BAS. Didn't know about them back in 2001. STC on mine are from Aero Fabricators. Not sure if I bought direct from them or a distributor.

Back