Retake Medical

psachseJr

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Paul
Hello,

About 3 years ago I decided to finally pursue my PPL. Unfortunately, I learned the through the FAA medical process that I had become a type II diabetic. My doctor had me on a light does of Metformin, and much to his surprise I was denied my medical based on being on that medication. For approximately 2.5 years, I have had my diabetes 100% under control with diet and exercise and take no medication. I cycle over 100 miles per week, and my blood work is excellent. My question is, how do I start the process over?

Thank you.

That's not a ground for denied medical unless your A1C was thru the roof or u were on another medication that's not approved with metformin

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Yep, metformin alone isn't gonna ground you, unless your A1Cs are pretty high. Give AOPA a call, as that's a routine issue they hear all the time. . .

Being a Type I Diabetic, reach out to Dr. Chien.

Also, before you do, take a look at:
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/media/guide.pdf around page 235, and bring any questions to Dr. Chien. Think of it as "pre-flight" for your medical.

However, if Dr. Chien says, "Do this" and you don't understand, or disagree, I learned something important early in my engineering career: "Disagree, but comply."
OP mentioned he is type II

With Type II, if he is on Metformin only and extremely well controlled (A1C 6.5 or less, FBG 125 or less, and his PCP is willing to go on record that there he is not suffering from any hypoglycemic problems and not being followed for optho, neuro, nephro, or cardio issues), then he may qualify for the CACI issuance. If just well controlled (A1C 6.5 to 8.5) then it is an initial special issuance that has to go to OKC. PCP information and labs are needed for both.

"Pre-diabetes" has always struck me as a funny term, because it sounds like a prediction.

"Pre-diabetes" has always struck me as a funny term, because it sounds like a prediction.
It sorta is, and has it's own set of physical indicators (unexplained weight loss, increased thirst, etc). But if you can catch it all early in this stage, before you burn out too many beta cells, you can avoid the full blow diagnosis.

Unfortunately for me... I didn't.... #metforminforlife

It sorta is, and has it's own set of physical indicators (unexplained weight loss, increased thirst, etc). But if you can catch it all early in this stage, before you burn out too many beta cells, you can avoid the full blow diagnosis.

About 5 years ago, my A1C was through the roof and fasting BS was 180.

I went to a high fat ultra low carb diet and according to the labs my A1C is 5.0 and fasting BS is 90.

I can understand "sorta," but the term makes it sound like 100% who have it will eventually develop diabetes. I'm just curious about whether the data indicate that everyone who has pre-diabetes eventually gets diabetes, or just a percentage of them.

I can understand "sorta," but the term makes it sound like 100% who have it will eventually develop diabetes. I'm just curious about whether the data indicate that everyone who has pre-diabetes eventually gets diabetes, or just a percentage of them.

It will always lead to diabetes if nothing changes in the patients diet and/or lifestyle, then is followed by high BP, high blood lipids etc.

My view is that diabetes is not a disease but a symptom of somthing bigger.

While I am not a DR...here is my N=1 study.

at my current weight.....if I follow the ADA reccomended diet, I will need metformin to keep BS and A1C under control. I could possible get off the meds if I lost 50 pounds and hit the gym almost every day to clear out the glycogen.

Now....if I eat ULC I don't need any medicine and I don't need to excercise and my A1c's and BS are all fine.

Now.....I am not a research scientist but somthing tells me my body doesn't like carbohydrates a whole bunch.

Your genes play a huge role too, if your father's or mothers side have type 2, u can do everything right and still get it. But yes, workout and eat right is the only thing that u cud do to keep things under control. It's a lifestyle disease. Even after doing everything right, chances are u will be on metformin rest of ur life, but if u don't, then u slowly get into whole lot more crap and end up in insulin. Been there, done that, came back from there. Not easy, but definitely doable. Just know that once a complication like neurotherapy develops, u can check it with right diet and exercise, but can't cure it. Seems OP is already on the right track...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I was hoping for data, not anecdotes.

Thank you for all of your responses. I am fortunate as my diabetes is under control with (a very strict) diet and (lots of) excercise. I am on no medication, an A1C of 5.5 and my bloodwork is all excellent for any person of any age. The only reason I failed the medical was the medication I was on at the time. I am taking no medication of any kind, with an A1C that is normal and, BP of 110/65, resting heart rate of 62 and good LDL and high HDL. Bottom line, there is no medical indicators of my diabetes now. So, do I just resubmit, or is there some other protocol I have to follow? I appreciate everyone's input.

Re-read post #2.

Do not submit ANYTHING until you are SURE you will be issued.

The catch is how you gain that insight.

Thank you for all of your responses. I am fortunate as my diabetes is under control with (a very strict) diet and (lots of) excercise. I am on no medication, an A1C of 5.5 and my bloodwork is all excellent for any person of any age. The only reason I failed the medical was the medication I was on at the time. I am taking no medication of any kind, with an A1C that is normal and, BP of 110/65, resting heart rate of 62 and good LDL and high HDL. Bottom line, there is no medical indicators of my diabetes now. So, do I just resubmit, or is there some other protocol I have to follow? I appreciate everyone's input.

Have you just tried to stop eating carbs all together?

Good luck with the medical!

Midcap, my blood sugar is completely under control with diet and exercise. My question was about resubmitting for the medical... procedurally. Do I just start over or is there a different process given that I once failed?

Regarding carbs, I only eat the good ones... some fruits and lots of vegetables. No potatoes, pasta or bread. None. :)

Back