Resuming IR Training

cpilotw

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
cpilotw
So, I've been what one may call a "career" instrument student for 9 years now, all due to lack of funds.

Well, I've started back flying recently in a C172 (most of my training in PA28, received my PPL flying a PA28 but soloed in C172). Anyway, all of my previous IR training done in a PA28 was logged as PIC and DUAL. Is logging PIC time still acceptable in the C172 even though I haven't been signed off for a flight review? My previous instructor forgot to sign me off for my flight review but I'm due anyway since it's been 2 years since I've flown.

I've read other threads regarding this topic but am still confused. My instructor did not enter any amount of PIC for the 1.3 we flew yesterday. It was a VFR flight to another airport to conduct touch and goes and basic maneuvers, much of a re-familiarization flight really. It's my understanding that since I am SEL rated and we are in a C172 and instruction is being received, then PIC time can be logged.

Last edited:
You are correct, you can log PIC during all of those scenarios. Any time you are flying as 'sole manipulator' and you are rated for the aircraft you can log it as PIC.

For example an instrument training flight of 1.5 hours on an IFR clearance with .5 hours spent flying in the clouds... you would log as

1.5 PIC
1.5 Dual
.5 IMC

Last edited:
Find one of EdFred's messages, then look at the chart he links in his signature.

So a BFR only comes into play when flying without an instructor as far as logging PIC is concerned?

So a BFR only comes into play when flying without an instructor as far as logging PIC is concerned?
Having a current flight comes into play when acting as PIC regardless of what you are logging, and does not affect what you log.

Back