Resuming flight training, need a bit of help.

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
I recently moved to Colorado and will need to resume my instrument training. I've scowered through all the flight schools at either KAPA (Centennial) or KBJC (Jeffco/ Rocky Mountain Metro) Though none of them really appeal to me, they are either Part 141 or primarily train in Cirrus's with G1000, which is total cheating. Coming from a much smaller uncontrolled field, with a relatively small flight school, I was wondering if anyone knew some independent CFI's in the area? Or at the very least a very small flights school? Thanks!

Austin

Last edited:
Vector at EIK has a small flight training operation.

I did my primary training with Western Air (BJC) and used ancient 172's so that's available even though they like to push the Cirri. Talk to John Bowman there. Western also has lots of freshly minted CFI's running around so watch out for them.

EIK is a little far away, BJC and APA I think are my main options. I planned on going with flights inc. if I do have to go with a big one.

Is Boulder practical for you? No matter what you do, examine the aircraft and interview the CFIIs.

Boulder would be IDEAL, I've been to that airport a couple times and I love it, though it is about 1.5 North of me where as APA and BJC are about .7

I'll e-mail someone I know at KAPA who might have some suggestions. Sorry, I am not very connected to the flight school world these days.

Thanks Mari, would you like to go back into the CFI business? :D You'd have atleast one student.

Thanks Mari, would you like to go back into the CFI business? :D You'd have atleast one student.
I'm sure you know more that I do about flying a C-152 these days. I recently got into an airplane I hadn't flown in maybe 5 years as a "safety pilot". I couldn't believe I ever knew how to fly it. Where do you plug in the headset? :eek:

That's okay I'll just use the sovereign :rofl: A Cessna's a Cessna right?

I'm sure you know more that I do about flying a C-152 these days. I recently got into an airplane I hadn't flown in maybe 5 years as a "safety pilot". I couldn't believe I ever knew how to fly it. Where do you plug in the headset? :eek:

Well, if ya wanta get used to flying "little bitty" airplanes again, I can always use a safety pilot...:wink2:

Well, if ya wanta get used to flying "little bitty" airplanes again, I can always use a safety pilot...:wink2:
Cool, just let me know, but you may want to talk to Steve about my skill in "little bitty" airplanes. :rofl:

Boulder would be IDEAL, I've been to that airport a couple times and I love it, though it is about 1.5 North of me where as APA and BJC are about .7

Are you located in Boulder? I am currently doing my training with Specialty Flight Training based out of KBDU. It's expensive, but well worth it. Great planes and CFI's. Also, I saw a Piper taxing off the active at KGXY (Greely) yesterday with the same (or very similar) paint job. Was this possibly yours?

The piper in my logo, is a graphic I pulled from the internet. And I am not in Boulder. I did find an excellent flight school at Jeffco, Journeys Aviation, I believe they are also based at BDU. Thanks though!

I actually did my ground school with Journeys at KBJC. Although, I did not start lessons until about a year after that.

I did find an excellent flight school at Jeffco, Journeys Aviation, I believe they are also based at BDU. Thanks though!

Let us know how Journeys works out for you.

I recently moved to Colorado and will need to resume my instrument training. I've scowered through all the flight schools at either KAPA (Centennial) or KBJC (Jeffco/ Rocky Mountain Metro) Though none of them really appeal to me, they are either Part 141 or primarily train in Cirrus's with G1000, which is total cheating. Coming from a much smaller uncontrolled field, with a relatively small flight school, I was wondering if anyone knew some independent CFI's in the area? Or at the very least a very small flights school? Thanks!

Austin

What about 141 training do you not like?
The cirrus, well, I would be more concerned about the safety of that airplane rather than its instrumentation but that's just me.

You guys flying IFR around those big rocks got bigger stones than me.

Radar services are a wonderful thing. As are victor airways. It is pretty odd looking out the window and seeing the side of a mountain... especially at 12,000 MSL, at least it was for me. I'm not sure I'd want to fly real IFR in the mountains in anything less than a turbo FIKI twin unless it was an easy IFR day, but I also don't have any experience or training out there.

Back