Resume, from the inside

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
So - as I approach another opportunity at work, I need to update the good ol' resume. I find that it might be easier, and more useful to have a "special" resume that showcases my efforts and accomplishments from the inside perspective, possibly even using jargon that internal employees would understand....

I'm really good with resumes, but I've never had to really submit one for an internal job before...is this a bad idea? Should I stick to the standard resume format for an internal promotion as well?

Highlight accomplishments that would benefit the new position but stay away from jargon. My wife, an HR guru agrees.

Good luck!

Remember to submit it in crayon. And not the skinny crayons like in the 64 pack. The 8 pack jumbo size is what you want to use. And spill some mustard on it too. :D

Remember to submit it in crayon. And not the skinny crayons like in the 64 pack. The 8 pack jumbo size is what you want to use. And spill some mustard on it too. :D

Good advice... but only if you say "sorry; I've been really busy..." when you hand it in. ;)

The resume should always be tailored to the specific job you're applying for.

Use the standard format, but vary the content to impress.

By Jargon, I mean using things like "CRT" and "CTS" and etc., which are really only know internally. They refer to schedule adherance and whatnot. Lot prettier, IMHO, to use internal phraseology, than to write out "One Call Resolution" and "Troubleshootng Audit" etc.

Or should I bite the bullet, and write it as if the HR person didn't work for the same company?

The one time I cooked up an industry CV, I printed it landscape with columns, with a big hand-lettered letterhead. I threw in a few data shots to perk it up a bit too. Everything important was on the front page.

That sucker had a 100% success rate.

By Jargon, I mean using things like "CRT" and "CTS" and etc., which are really only know internally. They refer to schedule adherance and whatnot. Lot prettier, IMHO, to use internal phraseology, than to write out "One Call Resolution" and "Troubleshootng Audit" etc.

Or should I bite the bullet, and write it as if the HR person didn't work for the same company?
My personal preference would be to write as if the HR person didn't have a clue what you really do, even though I sure no one like that works for T-mobile.

Next would be to define any TLAs (three letter acryonyms) the first time you use them.

The easier to read and the better written your resume is, the more likely the person reading it will read it all.

Joe

Nick -
My wife works in HR, as a senior compenation analyst, for a global IT company. Belive me when I say she would have no idea what most of accronyms mean as she is not an IT person. Write the resume as such.

Back