Restricted to 87kts or less in a Cessna 172 Because I was Overtaking a Piper Seminole

tlglenn

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Ted
Trying to get out of SoCal yesterday flying IFR. Seminole at same altitude ahead of me was told to fly 88 or faster. I guess they were flying single-engine at the blue line also while IFR. I heard them ask for a practice approach into PSP.

Re: Restricted to 87kts or less in a Cessna 172 Because I was Overtaking a Piper Semi

"Cancel IFR" should've been your response. I was riding as a pax with a friend a few weeks ago with a similar situation except we were on flight following in a Bonanza. Center "restricted" us to 100 knots due to an IFR 172 ahead of us with the same destination. We were ~40 miles out so we just cancelled, passed the 172, and were seated for dinner before they arrived. :)

Re: Restricted to 87kts or less in a Cessna 172 Because I was Overtaking a Piper Semi

"Cancel IFR" should've been your response. I was riding as a pax with a friend a few weeks ago with a similar situation except we were on flight following in a Bonanza. Center "restricted" us to 100 knots due to an IFR 172 ahead of us with the same destination. We were ~40 miles out so we just cancelled, passed the 172, and were seated for dinner before they arrived. :)

I would have then air filed once I was 5 miles in front of the 172, just because.

Hey! Welcome back Ed. Where ya been?

That's the first I've heard about a 172 being speed restricted by ATC...

Yep

IFR is a tool like any other, it's like a Phillips head, nice screw driver, until you try to use it on a flathead screw.

I'd of just canceled IFR.

I've had controllers near NYC give me roundabout crazy routing for IFR departures, if I can, I just respond, Thanks, but we'll be departing VFR, once clear the BS I pick up my IFR if needed for vis or the FLs.

Back