Restricted ATP Advice

RhinoDrvr

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
RhinoDrvr
For the DPI's here...

A few questions;

I know that military pilots are qualified for a restricted ATP with 750 hours. Does that 750 hours have to be in a military aircraft, or is it total time, civilian + military?

Second, if I did take the ATP written, can DPI's issue "restricted ATP's" or is that only done by airlines? My situation is that I'll be in the Navy for the next ~7 years, but I'd like to get the ATP with 750 hours if possible before the new regs to into effect.

RhinoDrvr said:
I know that military pilots are qualified for a restricted ATP with 750 hours. Does that 750 hours have to be in a military aircraft, or is it total time, civilian + military?

FAR 61.160 said:
(a) Except for a person who has been removed from flying status for lack of proficiency or because of a disciplinary action involving aircraft operations, a U.S. military pilot or former U.S. military pilot may apply for an airline transport pilot certificate with an airplane category multiengine class rating or an airline transport pilot certificate concurrently with an airplane type rating with a minimum of 750 hours of total time as a pilot if the pilot presents:
(1) An official Form DD-214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty) indicating that the person was honorably discharged from the U.S. Armed Forces or an official U.S. Armed Forces record that shows the pilot is currently serving in the U.S. Armed Forces; and
(2) An official U.S. Armed Forces record that shows the person graduated from a U.S. Armed Forces undergraduate pilot training school and received a rating qualification as a military pilot.

Sounds like total time to me -- civilian + military.

For the second question, it seems like DPE's can issue it until the new rules regarding the training go into effect.

I'm sure another poster will be along soon to confirm or refute.

Last edited:
My bad. I meant DPE. An examiner.

The new ATP written rule goes into effect on Aug 1st. Since you won't be taking the test for another 7 years there will now be a required prerequisite.

>30 Hour Ground School in ATP Knowledge Areas
>10 Hours of Level D Simulator Training
>5 Hours of Additional Simulator Time (not a Level D)

I do not know if the military pilots get the new rule waved. Me personally I think they should.

However 7 years from now the rules might be completely different.

The new ATP written rule goes into effect on Aug 1st. Since you won't be taking the test for another 7 years there will now be a required prerequisite.

>30 Hour Ground School in ATP Knowledge Areas
>10 Hours of Level D Simulator Training
>5 Hours of Additional Simulator Time (not a Level D)

I do not know if the military pilots get the new rule waved. Me personally I think they should.

However 7 years from now the rules might be completely different.

What the nugget is saying is that he would like to take the written before August 1st, then hopefully fulfill the necessary requirements within two years to acquire an ATP, avoiding the non-flying hours and expense mandated by the new rules. Then seven years from now, he would be eligible to leave the Navy and use that ATP.

But all this does not matter, as he is a lifer and he knows it. :rofl:

Last edited:
What the nugget is saying is that he would like to take the written before August 1st, then hopefully fulfill the necessary requirements within two years to acquire an ATP, avoiding the non-flying hours and expense mandated by the new rules. Then seven years from now, he would be eligible to leave the Navy and use that ATP.

But all this does not matter, as he is a lifer and he knows it. :rofl:

Ah, Lol my mistake. I didn't catch that last line! :D

Ha! Cat, you got me. Just trying to prep to become one of those rich, international airline folks one day ;)

Back