Restraints

flhrci

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
David
The helmet thread got me thinking. Is there any point going above and beyond the car style seatbelts (lap belt with some sort of shoulder restraint) in aircraft for a two shoulder harness system?

I am only referring to your standard everyday, non-acro GA airplane like a SkyHawk, Cherokee or Skylane.

I know people have them. I see the same potential reasons not to as people have with wearing a helmet in a small GA plane.

Discuss...

David

A four point restraint is better for lateral impact. Thing you have to be care of with four point restraints is tightening up the lap portion so that your body doesn't slide under the straps.

I use a four point restraint system and are very happy with it.when I owned an older 172 I had a four point system installed made me feel much safer.

Furry hand cuffs are good, and I tie some good knots and harnesses...

If I upgrade my belts it will be to four points, I have 6-points in my Saturn and with the crotch belt off they are quite comfortable, though an entertain reel would be nice

Man, you would think by looking at that plane the pilot and passengers would have walked out with minor injuries.

Many years ago I saw a Cherokee go down off the south end of Andrau Airpark in Houston, it had an engine failure on takeoff. He almost made a large field that adjoined a school, but came up short and impacted the top edge of a large drainage ditch on the perimeter. The airplane bounced onto the field and came to rest with the cabin intact. Just a couple more feet and he would have rolled to a stop.

We got there just a few minutes afterwards, but the fire had already spread and started to consume the cabin. It wasn't a big fire but I couldn't get close enough to help the pilot out. He was rendered unconscious by hitting the panel.

It was really sad that he had made a survivable emergency landing but died anyway. The NTSB report said the fire killed him.

I think about the incident occasionally when a post crash fire claims lives...a four point or even a shoulder harness would probably have saved him. It was tough to be right there and unable to do anything.

Just something to think about...upgrading your restraints can make a difference.

The impact of hitting the ground can leave the cabin relatively intact, yet still kill the passenger.

A plane I used to rent clipped the top of a semi on short final and slammed into the ditch short of the runway. The girl was out and talking after the crash, but collapsed and died of a partially torn aorta.

Apparently this is a common cause of death in frontal impact crashes.

The impact of hitting the ground can leave the cabin relatively intact, yet still kill the passenger.

A plane I used to rent clipped the top of a semi on short final and slammed into the ditch short of the runway. The girl was out and talking after the crash, but collapsed and died of a partially torn aorta.

Apparently this is a common cause of death in frontal impact crashes.

The Princess Di syndrome...:sad::sad:

I actually have 2 sets of Hooker "quickie" harnesses.

http://www.hookerharness.com/aviationquickie.php

They are for aircraft with rear seat belts and no shoulder harnesses. Require a two piece lap belt. Won't work with the newer car seat style seat belts.

Some of the older Cessnas have really crappy shoulder harnesses that tend to loosen up or slip out of the metal clip so I use these to feel a little safer.

David

Another reason we have Hooker 5-point harnesses in the RV-8A. With those thing cinched tight, you're not moving!

I have Hooker harnesses in my experimental too..... Just another reason Experimentals are light years ahead of certified stuff.....:yes:;):)

I have Hooker harnesses in my experimental too..... Just another reason Experimentals are light years ahead of certified stuff.....:yes:;):)

You two need a room somewhere where you can be alone together? Jay has a hotel. We can wait. :)

I flew a 170 with 4 points. If you have a place to anchor the belts to, it isn't a bad idea. Unfortunately, some aircraft don't lend them well to that. The Navion is an absolute disaster. The sliding canopy means there's no good "over the shoulder" place to mount them. THe best I've seen use the high point in the fuselage(essentially the top of the rear seats). The silliest were ones mounted to the seat itself. This is already a defect in the Navion lap belt. You might be very nicely restrained to the seat, but you're only a deformed piece of sheet metal away from being catapulted seat and all into the panel, windshield or out of the aircraft.

I flew a 182 with a 4-point and inertia reel shoulders - most comfy 182 setup I've flown.
Personally I feel better having 4-point harness, but sometimes it's not practical - like in the 40 - so you have to with what you have - car style.
For my commercial used the Arrow that doesn't have anything but the stock lap belt. Very-very uncomfy first few flights.

We installed the B.A.S. inertial reel shoulder harness for pilot and passenger in our 180.

I hope that's enough...

We have a four-point in our Cherokee trainer and I like the safety aspect, but it does chafe on your neck a bit. I need to figure out some sort of spacer for at the back of it.

:lol::rofl:.....

Personally I think several people on POA are getting VERY envious of us Experimental owners /flyers...:yes:

I'll admit to GPS/IFR pricing envy, but other than that, I'm cool with what I got. I would love to see FAA say...

"You know, brand X's IFR panel is installed in ten bejillion Experimental aircraft and those aircraft have logged 100,000+ approaches successfully with no indication the units have any significant defects. We'll allow Certificated aircraft to install the same gear subject to a fly-off of Y hours and Z approaches monitored by the aircraft operator and logged, to be submitted to us in lieu of our obviously bloated certification process."

Never happen but I can dream, right?

I'll admit to GPS/IFR pricing envy, but other than that, I'm cool with what I got. I would love to see FAA say...

"You know, brand X's IFR panel is installed in ten bejillion Experimental aircraft and those aircraft have logged 100,000+ approaches successfully with no indication the units have any significant defects. We'll allow Certificated aircraft to install the same gear subject to a fly-off of Y hours and Z approaches monitored by the aircraft operator and logged, to be submitted to us in lieu of our obviously bloated certification process."

Never know ;) Part 23 rewrite is more for this stuff then "oh, let's make mo new superwonderairplanes"

You will really drool when you get a taste of a full function synthetic vision avionics suite....:yes:;)

Back