Resting heart rate & medical

U

Unregistered

Hello folks :)

I am taking my Class 2 medical (and starting PPL(A) training) next week and I'm curious whether a higher-than-average resting heart rate of ~90bpm would be a disqualifying factor on it's own - without any other history of cardiovascular difficulties and a steadily normal blood pressure (~120/85 give or take a few mmHg).

I probably remember from at least 7-8 years that my heart rate has always been around 90, not really affected by stress levels or amounts of coffee I drink. I'm not in the greatest of shape, but I have no difficulties with physical activity.

Thanks in advance for the insight :)

It's not DQing but if your a "big" buy it's a warning sign. Your heart is operating near the warning track all the time.

Not an AME but would be very surprised if a resting heart rate of 90 is in itself disqualifying. If there are abnormalities on the physical exam such as a heart murmur or leg edema it might result in more tests. Most people have a resting heart rate in the 70s or 80s so 90 is not too out of the ordinary.

Here is an oversimplified primer on heart rate:
Cardiac output of blood in liters/minute is the product of stroke volume (amount the heart pumps with each heartbeat) times heart rate. So either you have a smaller than average (forward) stroke volume or a higher than average resting metabolic demand or reduced oxygen carrying ability of the blood. It might be a sign of deconditioning which can result in reduced stroke volume. Athletes often have a resting heart rate in the 50s due to the increased stroke volume of a highly conditioned heart. Diseases that increase basal (resting) metabolic demand like hyperthyroidism will increase heart rate. Obese people have more tissue to perfuse and this requires increased cardiac output. If someone is anemic more blood must be pumped per minute due to reduced oxygen carrying capacity of the blood. Various heart and lung problems can result in increased heart rate by a variety of mechanisms (shunts, valvular insufficiency or reduced oxygenation).

So it is not possible to determine if you are just out of shape or have some medical issue without a proper medical evaluation.

Thanks for the replies.

I don't know if I qualify as a "big guy" with 195lbs and 5'11" - I could probably lose a few.

Those numbers don't look that bad if your BP is good.you might want to lose a few lbs but overall I wouldn't be worried good luck

Thanks.
Hopefully it all goes well and my heart rate doesn't gain another 10 beats just stressing about heart rate lol

Well, Class 2 medical certificate is in the pocket.

The way the doc' put it - so long as there are no accompanying abnormalities, the heart rate on it's own is not a disqualifying factor.

Doesn't mean I shouldn't shift my *hind side* into gear and get back into shape :)

Congrats now don't procrastinate on the exercise good luck

Thanks for the replies.

I don't know if I qualify as a "big guy" with 195lbs and 5'11" - I could probably lose a few.

I'm bigger than you, then....same height but 15 lbs more, wanting to get below 190! Just did my Second Class.... Resting heart rate was 58, BP 118/70

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back