Response to Center provising weather

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
Response to Center providing weather

Couple times today flying and I would switch to another freq.

They would say "6PC, winds blah blah current altimeter 30.01 Visibility unlimited"

Do I need to respond to that?

I feel dumb going "Thanks, 6PC"
I tend to read back the altimeter setting but not sure what (if any response) is expected.

Last edited:
Altimeter only readback is what I was taught. E.g. "30.01, 6PC"

I tried a few times not saying anything but they repeated it back like they wanted me to acknowledge so I would and continue to read back the altimeter readings only.

ZFW or Regional Approach were telling you winds and vis? Interesting. I would get that info sometimes for the destination airport as a courtesy, but don't recall them doing anymore than altimeter for enroute.

Happened twice today in between Cedar Mills and McKinney and again between Mckinney and DTO (that 2nd was obviously approach)

And Mike you were right I stopped "sounding like I had a question" when I switch frequencies and they have stopped saying "6PC Go ahead"

Now I just say call sign and flight level.

ZFW or Regional Approach were telling you winds and vis? Interesting.

And yes, before they turned me loose, they said "Denton is reporting winds out of 280 14 gusting 19, Unlimited Visibility"

And that was even after I told him I hat the weather at Denton.

Sometimes, it's still helpful for the approach controller to read the current observation when the ASOS recording is getting stale.. Especially like,our flight today where it was really variable and actual wasn't quite what the recording said.

And Jesse, if you don't acknowledge them talking to,you, they're gonna repeat it until you do to ensure you're not entering into a lost comms situation.

Forgot to tell you mike, I had a relay today.
Center could hear me but I couldn't hear them so a gentleman in a Barron was nice enough to be the go between.

You really do learn new things on every flight.

The more info the controllers provide the better. Gives you a chance to be ready at your destination.

'Area of moderate to extreme precipitation ahead, what are your plans?'

The weather is a courtesy, the altimeter setting is important information, it assures your altimeter matches what the controller thinks you're at.

The weather is a courtesy, the altimeter setting is important information, it assures your altimeter matches what the controller thinks you're at.

Along those lines, a controller might offer a gratiutious altimiter reading as a subtle hint to check your altitude.

Along those lines, a controller might offer a gratiutious altimiter reading as a subtle hint to check your altitude.

:yes:

That's my favorite technique. Much better than the book phraseology, "xxxx altimeter xx.xx, verify at xx thousand."

More so than that. Having the correct altimeter setting ensures obstacle clearance when flying an approach. The setting also helps ATC ensure vertical separation between aircraft.

Elaborate.

Why would they want you to check alt? I'm VFR so maybe if you are IFR and have an assigned alt?

Re: Response to Center providing weather

Couple times today flying and I would switch to another freq.

They would say "6PC, winds blah blah current altimeter 30.01 Visibility unlimited"

Do I need to respond to that?

I feel dumb going "Thanks, 6PC"
I tend to read back the altimeter setting but not sure what (if any response) is expected.

A simple thanks 6PC would go a long way, it also comfirms you are still in communication... Hey... it is free information from the guvmint.. We all pay for it through fuel taxes and various other ways, so count your blessing.. And as the other poster said... What if you had weather between you and your destination..... Personally I ALWAYS appreciate the heads up...:yes:

Elaborate.

Why would they want you to check alt? I'm VFR so maybe if you are IFR and have an assigned alt?
You are correct. On an IFR flight I was getting bounced more than expected and center gave a courtesy call with current altimeter setting. When I realized the reason for the 'courtesy' I requested a block altitude after explaining about the summer mountain winds.

More so than that. Having the correct altimeter setting ensures obstacle clearance when flying an approach. The setting also helps ATC ensure vertical separation between aircraft.

The latter is exactly what I was getting at. If you and the controller aren't on the same datum, it's hard to provide separation.

Good point about the approach, though rarely do I get the controller to give me the correct altimeter setting I need for the approach unless I specifically ask for the one for the destination. Usually they expect you to get it from the ATIS/AWOS. The one they issue you periodically is the one for the radar sector they are using.

Elaborate.

Because even if you're VFR they need to validate your altitude in order to issue traffic advisories. Also, in some cases (class C / B) verification of your altitude is necessary for vertical sep.

As far as the original question, a "6PC, roger" will suffice. Just a basic acknowledgment is what they want.

ZME will read me the KJBR minute-weather the majority of the time because a: they're bored and want to do something, or b: they think I can't receive the weather until much closer, when reality is I get it Lima Charlie at 65nm out. Other than that, I see no reason for reporting more than the altimeter for separation purposes.. :dunno:

And all I respond with is repeating the altimeter.

Elaborate.

Because you're real close to a Class B floor, or you're far from a VFR altitude.

If you're more than 3000 AGL, you need to be on a thousand-plus-500 appropriate to your direction of flight, unless directed otherwise (and that's only happening in Class B or C).

If you blast around at 5200 and stay there, you can expect something like that, even VFR.

The latter is exactly what I was getting at. If you and the controller aren't on the same datum, it's hard to provide separation.

Good point about the approach, though rarely do I get the controller to give me the correct altimeter setting I need for the approach unless I specifically ask for the one for the destination. Usually they expect you to get it from the ATIS/AWOS. The one they issue you periodically is the one for the radar sector they are using.

Exactly Ron.

Elaborate.

If you are squawking altitude and your Mode C is way off, you might be asked to confirm your altitude or even told to "stop altitude squawk". This happened to me last year when my encoder went bad. You don't have to be IFR for this to be an issue; in my case, I was inside a Mode C veil, but I think they may raise the issue even well outside areas where Mode C is required.

Last edited:
Usually, checking in on a new frequency, I say "BOSTON APPROACH, 1234Z, 3 THOUSAND, 5 HUNDRED" which they usually respond with "1234Z, BOSTON altimeter is 3000.1" and I say "3000.1, Thanks, 1234Z"
Nothing wrong with good manners.

When I took my PPL checkride, the examiner asked me to cruise at 3700. She said "everyone and their brother is at 3500." If in a high traffic area, I still sometimes make use of this sort of thing occasionally, and typically only for a few miles.

When I took my PPL checkride, the examiner asked me to cruise at 3700. She said "everyone and their brother is at 3500." If in a high traffic area, I still sometimes make use of this sort of thing occasionally, and typically only for a few miles.

Perfectly legal if the ground below you is higher than 700', which it is most places I fly :)

Speaking of hemispherical rule (and since the original question was answered):
Do they ever enforce this rule?

I was on a cross country flying west, at 6500, with flight following. ATC advises of another aircraft, not in radio contact, close to our altitude, opposite direction (not exactly opposite, but on a northeast heading).
We couldn't see it, so at some point ATC told us to climb for traffic avoidance, in a pretty rushed voice.
We did, and after climbing maybe 500 ft we saw the aircraft flying by us a little lower than we were. Can't tell if he was exactly at 6500, but definitely not 4500 (while I may be too green to judge this accurately, my instructor is not and he had some unkind words to say about the pilot).
ATC didn't say anything else about it after that, but I wonder if they tracked him and did something about it or they just let it go if it doesn't cause major problems.

That can happen even with everyone following the rules.

Flying a course of 002 at full rental power, it is not at all fun to encounter a Mooney doing the same thing flying 178. BTDT. Got to practice my zoom climb.

Sometimes controllers will be extra helpful.

I had one "highly suggest" that we return to our home base. Our ETA to Dallas was showing 4+ hrs from Central AR. :eek: The winds that night had us at a GS of 50kts.

Sometimes controllers will be extra helpful.

I had one "highly suggest" that we return to our home base. Our ETA to Dallas was showing 4+ hrs from Central AR. :eek: The winds that night had us at a GS of 50kts.

Did you ask him if the inflight refueling tanker you were supposed to merge with had checked in with him yet? :)

Back