Resident videographers, whats the word on the Hero 8 Black?

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
@SixPapaCharlie, @OkieFlyer, @Radar Contact , others, what's the word on the GoPro Hero 8 black?

Looking for a better camera with good stabilization for flying and motorcycle videos, and the price is down to $299.99, which seems decent for a real GoPro.

I really like the Garmin VIRB XE. It's Garmins older version but does a great job for my flying videos and it came with the prop filter package. The aviation package may be a separate item now, not sure. Audio is a breeze with a cable and it also allows connection to a battery bank. I use the EC Technology Portable Charger 22400mAh Power Bank Ultra High Capacity 3 USB Output External Battery Pack with Auto IC and LED Flashlight.

I just bought a DJI Osmo Action. I like it so far. Only downside is that you can’t hit record from the app. Battery life is better though. The lens on the Hero 8 also isn’t replaceable.... if it’s cracked, you’re done. I’d go Hero 7 Black (I’ve owned 2) if you want a GoPro

My hero 7 black drives me nuts, it over heats and randomly shuts down. Going to try running it without the internal battery to see if it is more reliable. The gopro max looks pretty interesting to me and will probably be my next camera. Might even trade my 7 in to get $100 off.

I have the Hero 7 Black and I've heard that the Hero 8 Black fixed a lot of issues people have been having with the 7. Josh Flowers reached out to me when I bought the 7 and told me he recommended the 8. I've had no issues so far, but video is secondary to me, so I haven't really put the camera through its paces.

YouTube rapes quality, but I like the DJI. Raw file looks a lot better. 4K 60fps

@SixPapaCharlie, @OkieFlyer, @Radar Contact , others, what's the word on the GoPro Hero 8 black?

Looking for a better camera with good stabilization for flying and motorcycle videos, and the price is down to $299.99, which seems decent for a real GoPro.
Sorry for the late reply...just getting caught up from a busy month.

I’d say it depends. The 8 did improve a bit on stabilization and color but you can’t connect an external mic to capture audio without purchasing the Media mod that goes around it. It was back ordered for months and I just got it. Haven’t had a chance to make sure the audio works well they it. The 7 does pretty darn good with stabilization and you can plug the adapter right in. To recap, If no external audio needed 8. Otherwise 7 or standby to verify the quality of the media mod.

Back