Researching Purchase... Is this a good deal?

Thanks, the IFR panels may or may not be important to some, good to consider.

A 1976 with 1440 hours on the engine for about the same budget as the OP, $54,900

What does a Prop overhaul cost on a 182? What is a replacement cost?

I would probably re-seal it rather than overhaul, they take it apart, inspect it, fix what needs it and put it back together without cutting the blades. :D Cost $1-1500.00 depending on what they find wrong. :dunno:

When I investigated the modernization of the panel on my 1960 C-180, I discovered that the problem with the older planes isn't the yoke position (as I too had been led to believe) but instead was the vertical V-shaped defrost plenum and supply hose that protrudes downward from the glare shield and interferes with the longer gyro instruments and their required plumbing.

I also learned that Cessna later changed the design of the plenum from big bottom-feed to a low-profile side feed. These parts are interchangeable, readily available from salvage yards and simple to rivet in place. Once the new-style part is in place, the panel can be rearranged to the standard six-pack configuration without the expense of the high-priced STC, parts and labor required to move the yoke.

A friend with a 1954 model has just completed a new panel and has used the same plenum to free up the necessary space.

For me the significance of the '68 model is that it was the year they came out with the six pack arrangement of instruments. I haven't priced a panel re-arrangement in the shotgun paneled 182s but I was told by a personal friend and A/P that the T-yokes on the older 182s need a conversion to U-yokes in order to allow proper center stack radio placement and allow the symmetric placement of instruments into the six pack arrangement. This is obviously much more expensive than a mere panel faceplate manufacturing.

The biggest change is the 1962 E model, that's where the cabin width became comparable to the 42" at the elbows like the Piper series. Before then the cabin was quite a bit narrower.

Some of the 1976 model year has the O-470U, which is a 2000 hour TBO, but how it has been operated weighs heavily on if it makes it to that.

Agreed its going to need an engine sooner than later, even if its a "U".

Also if its a "U" it doesn't qualify for the MoGas STC if that makes any difference to the OP.

IIRC that 2000hr TBO can turn back into a 1500 hr TBO if the engine is not overhauled exactly how the engine came out of the factory. Example: Chrome cylinders replaced with steel cylinders(or vice/versa can't remember) . I know there are some other things that have to be done at overhaul to maintain the 2000hrs TBO just can't remember what.

Last edited:
Sounds to me like Shawn needs a Bonanza.

:D :devil:

Get that instrument rating ASAP! I did a lot of trips between Lancaster and Monterey/Watsonville/Scotts Valley and Columbia. Boy was my boss mad at me when I told him I was fogged in and had to wait till it burned off- he had to work for me till I got back. Always knew Lancaster would be clear....but, almost every place else had fog in AM/PM.

OK...now why would this 182P be a BAD deal for someone like me?

1975 Cessna 182P

Price: $ 40,900 (found that price listed on another site)​
TTAF: 3,190 Hrs.
Engine Time:1,051 SFREM on Continental O-470-K in 1992
87 Hours SPOH on C-203 Two Blade McCauley in 2008
Annual due Feb 2013

Link:
http://www.aso.com/listings/spec/ViewAd.aspx?id=146864&listingType=true

Scenario:
We haggle down to $35k
Airplane checks out Pre Buy inspection with flying colors (or slightly faded colors in this case)
I drop $5k to replace that gawd awful interior
Avionics are way basic, but I want a bird that flies, not a glass cockpit.
What REALLY needs to be upgraded to make it IFR certified other than the GPS that is out of date and no longer supported?
Drop another ($????) into avionics
449 hours till overhaul needed - seems like a reasonable amount of time before dropping another $25k

Still working within a $50kish budget for purchase price.

What could go wrong? I mean it HAS a cassette player!

School me please!

Last edited:
Also, to another poster, a 182 with the O-470U is, by definition, a 1977 "Q" model or newer. It may have been manufactured and first flown in 1976, but it is a 1977 model year (ours is #330 off the line, made in 1976, but first flown in January 1977).

Anyone seriously considering purchasing a 182 should get the 182 Buyer's Guide from the Cessna Pilots Association, and join that association for the advice other members will give you (via their forum) during the buying and ownership process. The best $55 you can spend.

Ahh 1977. Missed it by a year.

Agreed on the CPA book and membership. It's paid for itself every year with maintenance cost-saving or just better information than anywhere else, so far.

22 years since O/H is a stretch, but only one factor to consider among all the others. If you're thinking some major engine work is in your future and have accounted for it in the price, then you know what you need to know about that subject.

1975 Cessna 182P

Annual due Feb 2013

Link:

Scenario:
We haggle down to $35k
Airplane checks out Pre Buy inspection with flying colors (or slightly faded colors in this case)
What REALLY needs to be upgraded to make it IFR certified other than the GPS that is out of date and no longer supported?
449 hours till overhaul needed - seems like a reasonable amount of time before dropping another $25k

School me please!

1975 Cessna 182P

Annual due Feb 2013

Link:

Scenario:
We haggle down to $35k

School me please!

If you have an agreeable A&P, don't mind swearing a lot and have some spare time. You could replace the interior yourself with the help of a local upholstery shop on 40% of that budget, and if you go at it right, might even get some useful load back using modern materials.

If you are going to spending three hours in ANY piston GA airplane for commutation airplane 20-25 times a year you need a very good 2 axis autopilot.

Or you are going to be selling this airplane in 6 months when you tired of its limitations . . .

The absolute minimum I would want in ANYTHING I buy for flying that often that distance [300nm or so] is a panel mounted moving map GPS with coupled autopilot and GPSS.

Everything else is extra.

The reason is that in 6 years you will be thinking about needing to upgrade to ADS-B - so why not start out with most of your purchase done already.

You do not want to bespending $20k in 6 years to upgrade a $40k airplane that will remain $40k since the upgrade just allows it to keep doing what it is presently doing. . . .

I would find a 182 type airplane [182, Piper 235 etc] that already has a 330 and other Garmin navigator [430/530] - yes, it may cost $55k instead of $45k but you will be saving a ton of money in the long run.

Just my opinion, I may wrong, but it makes complete financial sense - and the autopilot is absolute non-negotiable item for the type of flying you want to do. Also, IFR rating as well. ..

1975 Cessna 182P

Annual due Feb 2013

Link:

Scenario:
We haggle down to $35k

School me please!
87 hours on the 5 year old prop worries me

Granted my plane is at 30 years from new and the engine has never been off.

Oh, just read the add, "started regularly"

Bad mojo if they have been doing regular ground runs but not flying.

Last edited:
Oh and FWIW, it is IFR as it sits.

Not ideal IFR but IFR none the less

When I investigated the modernization of the panel on my 1960 C-180, I discovered that the problem with the older planes isn't the yoke position (as I too had been led to believe) but instead was the vertical V-shaped defrost plenum and supply hose that protrudes downward from the glare shield and interferes with the longer gyro instruments and their required plumbing.

I also learned that Cessna later changed the design of the plenum from big bottom-feed to a low-profile side feed. These parts are interchangeable, readily available from salvage yards and simple to rivet in place. Once the new-style part is in place, the panel can be rearranged to the standard six-pack configuration without the expense of the high-priced STC, parts and labor required to move the yoke.

A friend with a 1954 model has just completed a new panel and has used the same plenum to free up the necessary space.

Me thinks you speak the truth, the T vs Y control swap is a 172 issue AFAIK. Granted I have not been under the panel of an older 182 but the ones I have been under don't have Ts or Ys. Structurally a 182 may just be a big 172 but many of the details, particularly the control system are very different.

Back