Researching past military airmen records

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
I recently found an old file of correspondence with Michael Howell (his father was Lt. Col John C. Howell, P-51 pilot of "Shoo Shoo Baby") regarding how to find my father-in-law's military airmen records. Following are some pertinent websites for those who are looking.

http://accident-report.com/

This site can be used as a direct portal to AAF records. Use form SF-180 for personnel records. This is Vet Admin form.

www.deal-palace.com/backgroundsearches.htm Not working...deleted

www.vetfriends.com/index.cfm?source

www.au.af.mil/tenants/afhra.html This is Maxwell AFB (AF Historical Research Agency)

Last edited:
With Mr. Howell's help I was able to research a more complete flying history of my F-I-L. All we knew was he flew B-25s for anti-sub patrol in the Caribbean during WWII. And he had made an emergency landing in wich all crew suffered fatal injuries save him. He suffered a broken back and internal injuries. But one U-boat was confirmed kill, a 2nd was unconfirmed but probable kill.

He was attached to 3rd AF, 18th Recon out of San Juan, P.R. The exact dates of his service are vague and while the accident did occur, and crew perished as he said, the record of accident date or location is not available. What a ****ty thing to live down. He always felt he coulda done a better job since he was senior officer and pilot flying.

EDIT: Not stationed at San Juan...he was out of Tampa, FLA. I was thinking of his several stories about landing at San Juan.

Last edited:
Hi Richard,
You might try contacting Robert L. Taylor. He's the founder of the Antique Airplane Association and also does a newsletter called 'The Caribbean Breeze' that covers the Caribbean Command, Caribbean Air Force, 6th Air Force and the Panama Canal Air Force. I'll pm you his contact info. h

Back