Rescue Mission - Chicago Based IFR Pilot needed for BOS - DA-40

USAF-LT-G

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
USAF-LT-G
Hi Everyone,

Ok it's not really a "Rescue Mission" per say, but I'm in a bit of a situation. I'm not IFR rated, I'm working through the written now and planned to start IFR training next month. I'm a 1000 hr VFR pilot, and flew into KLWM (North of Boston) much earlier in the week from 3CK. There's a slow moving system that got here this morning and will be here at least the next 2 days. Nothing I can do, as it's all predictive IMC conditions in and out and no real paths around it as VFR. I'm trying to get home to my 2 little kids. I have flown in IMC conditions before with a CFII and with other rated folks, but I am not rated, haven't shot approaches, etc. Had to come out here this week as some folks I work with wanted an "incentive ride" and I've been promising them for months I'd get out here. It's a G-1000 equipped 2005 Diamondstar DA-40. Was hoping maybe I could pay for a first class ticket for someone properly rated to fly into Boston / Manchester and help me get home. I was thinking if anyone had availability around the Chicago area, I could buy a ticket from ORD to BOS.

Let me know! Thanks!

I'm properly rated and not far from Boston, commercial pilot current instrument, but no DA40 time... too bad sounds like a good adventure...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm properly rated and not far from Boston, commercial pilot current instrument, but no DA40 time... too bad sounds like a good adventure...

Drat, still looking! :) Although good point, I guess it doesn't matter if pilot is from Chicago or Boston area. Either would work, and I could get you a ticket home. Just trying to find a way into and around this lousy weather. Ceilings are too low for me to depart :(

Wish I could help you but I am in Mexico until tomorrow afternoon. Commercial + instrument and about 40 hours of DA40 time. Good luck, sounds like a fun flight!

I guess technically I could be pilot in command and let you handle the landings which is where time in type matters, but you also have to consider who your insurance company will cover. They prob want a little time in type for the open pilot clause. Have you checked your insurance?

The other issue that comes to mind is I don't recommend anyone fly in a single above widespread low IMC. In case of an engine failure, you don't want to break out at 500agl or less, and the weather looks extremely low through at least Friday... how quickly are you looking to go? I'd contact flight schools, perhaps you can log your time as instruction....

The other issue that comes to mind is I don't recommend anyone fly in a single above widespread low IMC. In case of an engine failure, you don't want to break out at 500agl or less, and the weather looks extremely low through at least Friday... how quickly are you looking to go? I'd contact flight schools, perhaps you can log your time as instruction....

Yea, actually one step ahead of you. Have been calling around to the schools to see about dual purpose and logging some instruction in IMC. I got one guy calling around now.

If I were to take up a NW heading out of KLWM, into Canada it might be doable, but then that would require landing in Canada somewhere for fuel at some point, and to be honest, I've never really done the whole, "land and check passport" stuff before. Not really sure how that works. I've only done ICAO VFR when overflying canada. a NW heading is VFR ahead of the storm. but I'd have to go pretty far north before I could cut around the back side. Not getting indications of where tops are at.

If I were to take up a NW heading out of KLWM, into Canada it might be doable, but then that would require landing in Canada somewhere for fuel at some point, and to be honest, I've never really done the whole, "land and check passport" stuff before. Not really sure how that works. I've only done ICAO VFR when overflying canada. a NW heading is VFR ahead of the storm. but I'd have to go pretty far north before I could cut around the back side. Not getting indications of where tops are at.

NVM, I don't think that's gonna work either. SKC / Cloud clearances + Storm movement is too sporadic. The best direction would be south west around the Cell, and the conditions are just too low for me. This stinks....

Also I bet you don't have customs stickers

Also I bet you don't have customs stickers

Oh good lawd. They want actual "stickers" for the plane? Whats-a-matta-wit-a-passport?

I would just wait until you have VFR or an instrument pilot with you and file direct- fly over Canada - no need for the sticker then, right? I have the stickers on the Cirrus, but have never ever been asked about them and I often fly across Canada and over Erie.

I would just wait until you have VFR or an instrument pilot with you and file direct- fly over Canada - no need for the sticker then, right? I have the stickers on the Cirrus, but have never ever been asked about them and I often fly across Canada and over Erie.

Yea I think that's what it's coming down to. Good grief, I can't get my IFR soon enough it seems. lol. I'm reading these rules here.... seems like you need a boat load more than stickers....

He was talking about landing in Canada with big diversion for weather. Not sure a DA 40 could make it nonstop anyway westbound even direct...

Yea I think that's what it's coming down to. Good grief, I can't get my IFR soon enough it seems. lol. I'm reading these rules here.... seems like you need a boat load more than stickers....

Yep, they take the border seriously...

Just flew into Toronto the other day. Northbound is easier than returning....

He was talking about landing in Canada with big diversion for weather. Not sure a DA 40 could make it nonstop anyway westbound even direct...

Negatory.... I'd have to make 1 fuel stop for reserves even fully leaned out. She's got decent endurance, but not that good.

Yeah and IFR reserves are a good bit greater

I would plan one stop in western NY and another in MI to be safe with low IFR. DA40 is 40 gal and burns about 9.5 up high, right? Not real long IFR legs.

I would plan one stop in western NY and another in MI to be safe with low IFR. DA40 is 40 gal and burns about 9.5 up high, right? Not real long IFR legs.

Extended Tanks are installed. So 50 Gal tanks (25 / 25). Endurance is roughly 8.5 / 8.9 Leaned at 85%.

Cruise speed? The ceilings don't actually look that bad on the direct route now

129 - 140 generally. Easterly at 11,500 she'll get 170 easy. Yesterday, flying a bit west, I was at 135 at 4,500.

Cruise speed? The ceilings don't actually look that bad on the direct route now

Cruise speeds posted above. Ceilings aren't bad..... if you're IFR :) MVFR at the moment but kicks back to IFR near Detroit

Cruise speeds posted above. Ceilings aren't bad..... if you're IFR :) MVFR at the moment but kicks back to IFR near Detroit

The issue with ceilings IFR in a single is engine failure. I won't fly over widespread low IMC in a single...

129 - 140 generally. Easterly at 11,500 she'll get 170 easy. Yesterday, flying a bit west, I was at 135 at 4,500.

You're reporting ground speed - right? Not TAS? TAS is what matters - because winds aloft change - and can often find a tailwind heading west with a low to your south . . .

just buy a round trip ticket back to Chicago come back when the system clears next week - forecast shows Saturday is flyable - just wait another 48 hours. . . .

Can't come back next week, or week thereafter. I have a solid 2 weeks of commercial travel, departing for the west coast unfortunately. I'm looking at conditions today, it looks like conditions improve south and west of KLWM to MVFR and eventually VFR, and that by 4pm EST, mostly VFR as I route from a SW heading to a NW heading. Instead of going All the way back to Chicago, anyone want to help me just get out of KLWM towards better flying conditions where I can make the rest of trip solo?

Don't know how I didn't notice this but probably could have helped.

If you're not yet out, give Aptis Aviation at 6b6 a call. They have a few pilots who have g1000 da-40 experience

Agreed. I am newly IFR rated and today flew up the east side of the Cascades rather than the west because I didn't want to spend 30-40 minutes above places with a 1000' ceiling.

Back