Resale Value of Airplane Upgrades

ok... 201 hp makes an aircraft HP, retractable gear makes them complex... what's your point?

The point is, your plane is now TAA if you want to go for your commercial. Along with not having to deal with vacuum system failures or failing gyros.

That maybe what you would do, but again it’s not what you or I value but what a buyer wants. While we all would mostly agree on what a good engine vs bad engine is, I offer that is not so with avionics.

Right, and I’m saying a most of younger pilots who will becoming owners will want glass if they can afford it.
Sure, I don’t expect Cub owners wanting to upgrade, and obviously the base price of a plane makes a huge difference in expectations, and there’s always some nostalgic pilots out there.
But I think 10 years from now, a great majority of the Beech and Mooneys you’ll see on controller for sale will have electronic instruments(either full glass or G5/275s).

People that are not shopping for planes likely undervalue upgrades.
Over time, I think aopa vref would agree with 50 percent.
When I look at my plane make and model listings, there are minimal or no planes with my upgrades so put me in the camp of expecting 100% cost recoup if I sold now.

G3x can give ol farts their steam gauge look if they want.

BTW, you need to use good judgement when doing upgrades, sometimes I wonder what they were thinking. For example, I don’t want read the POH while I’m flying:
c835503062720e5f4c54a2893c83d4f7.jpg

Over time, I think aopa vref would agree with 50 percent.

VREF is funny, they straight line depreciate avionics at 10% per year. So 1 year old avionics are full value and 10 year old are worth almost nothing. But that is not how it seems to work in the real world.

What I see is immediate 50% hit (which is really, the avionics are worth almost full price, but no payback for installation costs), and then for a long time, the values hold. Until a new generation. So 430/530 held their value until the GTN series came out. But not a lot of difference in value between 650 and 650Xi

I’ve averaged one gyro failure about every 200 hours. Maybe it’s ‘cause they’re original equipment in 40+ year old planes, but one was an HSI with less than 700 hours.

For daytime VFR, which is 100% of what I do these days, I’d be pretty fine with a mag compass and oil pressure gauge, but IFR I’d swap all those moving parts out for glass.

Back