Requirements for overflying Niagra on the Canadian side

G__

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
G__
I read some posts by a bunch of Americans describing their flights from the US into the special rules area west of Niagra Falls, flying the "race track" then landing back in the US.

It's not clear to me how such an ad hoc VFR flight is allowed into Canadian airspace, anyone care to clarify?

You just ask ATC for the falls tour. VERY Specific requirements for routing, all visual landmarks. I think you have to be above 3,500 MSL. The procedure is charted kinda like an instrument plate, so its easy to find. You do end up in Canadian airspace, but it doesnt matter. Although you will be on a code with ATC.

The procedure is described in the Canadian Flight Supplement, but is not linked to a specific airport. In fltplan.com look at tools>documents>"CFS ON VFR Terminal Procedures Eff 02/28/2019" (as of today), then search the pdf for "NIAGARA FALLS VFR TERMINAL PROCEDURES CHART". The second page of that chart has the procedure listed, highlights are: "See and Be Seen Procedure", use KIAG altimeter setting, pilot separation, stay at 3500 or above, all lights on for visibility, clockwise pattern per diagram, 130 kts or below, monitor and broadcast altitude, checkpoint & intentions on 122.050 MHz prior to entry, use specified entries and exits. More details in the chart. If you're seen to go below 3500' one of the air tour companies is likely to report you to Transport Canada, so they say.

You just ask ATC for the falls tour. VERY Specific requirements for routing, all visual landmarks.

Which ATC do I ask for that, exactly?
And is there any aid such as GPS waypoints that I can use for helping with maintaining the routing of the racetrack?

The procedure is designed to be the same regardless of whether you're flying from the US side or the Canadian side, so that aircraft from both can coexist peacefully. I've flown the Niagara tour a couple times, and shared the pattern with Canadian aircraft both times.

Remember that aircraft squawking and talking that aren't actually landing on the other side can transit both sides of the border to an airport on the side of the border they departed from, with no customs filing. My guess is that, if you fly the Niagara Falls procedures, Nav Canada won't send you a bill for quarterly airspace usage (another reason to never privatize ATC).

All of the procedures required air in 14 CFR 93, Part E, special flight rules. The Canadian supplement has a good diagram.

Back