Requesting a replacement certificate to the FAA online vs. mail

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by DMD3., May 19, 2017.

1. DMD3.

DMD3. Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    DMD3.
    According to the FAA website, a person can either request a replacement certificate online (registering with Online Services is required), or mail a written request. It says that if you mail a request, it can be expected to take around 4 to 6 weeks.

Does anyone know how long it takes if you do it online? I actually mailed a written request last week due to misplacing my certificate, but I'm wondering if would be okay if I sent an online request provided that it's faster?

2. flyingron

flyingron Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    FlyingRon
    If you request a temporary, it comes back within hours by email.

A new physical certificate takes a few weeks but it didn't seem too unreasonable.

3. denverpilot

denverpilot Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    I'd do it online...
    https://amsrvs.registry.faa.gov/amsrvs/tempnotice.asp

Requesting Temporary Authority to Exercise Certificate Privileges Online

You may request temporary authority to exercise certificate privileges of a valid airman and/or medical certificate or verification of an expired flight instructor certificate in the form of a facsimile (FAX) or e-mail. This authority will be valid for 60 days pending receipt of a permanent replacement certificate or reinstatement of an expired flight instructor certificate. Only one (1) on-line request for temporary authority can be obtained within any six (6) month period.You may also request a replacement certificate with a credit card payment of the $2.00 fee.To request a FAX you must furnish a valid FAX number, including the city and state where the FAX is located. To request e-mail; furnish the e-mail address where you wish to receive the temporary authority.Countries other than the United States, Bahamas, Bermuda, Canada, Dominican Republic, Grand Cayman Islands and Guam can only receive the temporary authority by e-mail. If you reside in a country other than the ones listed above, you must provide a valid e-mail address in order to receive the temporary authority.Holders of foreign based certificates must contact the Airmen Certification Branch to request temporary authority. You must have a current verification of the foreign license on file with the Airmen Certification Branch to be eligible for a FAX or e-mail. In compliance with the policy dated July 23, 2002, airmen applying for a replacement certificate issued on the basis of a foreign license under 14 CFR Part 61, Section 61.75 or 14 CFR Part 63, Section 63.42, must complete and submit a Verification of Authenticity of Foreign License, Rating, and Medical Certification form to the Airmen Certification Branch and appear at a FSDO for positive identification to make application for a replacement certificate.The Comprehensive Airmen Information System will perform system edits on your record to determine whether we can furnish temporary authority through the on-line process. You may get a message saying it will be necessary for you to contact us direct for temporary authority. These edits are for your protection, and we apologize for any inconvenience.All pilot certificates with powered ratings, Flight Engineer certificates, Flight Navigator certificates, and Control Tower Operator certificates will now be issued with an endorsement stating "English Proficient." This is a requirement of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO). The endorsement will automatically be placed on any qualifying replacement certificates you order.

4. murphey

murphey Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    murphey
    Either way you'll get another plastic card. If you use online, you get emailed a PDF file you print and is a temp cert until the plastic one shows up.

Zeldman likes this.
  5. DMD3.

DMD3. Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    DMD3.
    Thanks for your replies. I'm sad to say it, but this is the second time I have misplaced my certificate (what a wonderful pilot I must be), and I already requested a fax in March 2016. I was always under the impression that you could only get one period (as it says it on the temp certificate), but I just now noticed that it says you're allowed only one within a six month period. So now I can perhaps obtain another one. This time I plan to tape my cert in my logbook (my medical examiner gave me one on paper, not a plastic one that fits in the wallet).