Requesting a replacement certificate to the FAA online vs. mail

DMD3.

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DMD3.
According to the FAA website, a person can either request a replacement certificate online (registering with Online Services is required), or mail a written request. It says that if you mail a request, it can be expected to take around 4 to 6 weeks.

Does anyone know how long it takes if you do it online? I actually mailed a written request last week due to misplacing my certificate, but I'm wondering if would be okay if I sent an online request provided that it's faster?

If you request a temporary, it comes back within hours by email.

A new physical certificate takes a few weeks but it didn't seem too unreasonable.

I'd do it online...
https://amsrvs.registry.faa.gov/amsrvs/tempnotice.asp

Requesting Temporary Authority to Exercise Certificate Privileges Online

You may request temporary authority to exercise certificate privileges of a valid airman and/or medical certificate or verification of an expired flight instructor certificate in the form of a facsimile (FAX) or e-mail. This authority will be valid for 60 days pending receipt of a permanent replacement certificate or reinstatement of an expired flight instructor certificate. Only one (1) on-line request for temporary authority can be obtained within any six (6) month period.You may also request a replacement certificate with a credit card payment of the $2.00 fee.To request a FAX you must furnish a valid FAX number, including the city and state where the FAX is located. To request e-mail; furnish the e-mail address where you wish to receive the temporary authority.Countries other than the United States, Bahamas, Bermuda, Canada, Dominican Republic, Grand Cayman Islands and Guam can only receive the temporary authority by e-mail. If you reside in a country other than the ones listed above, you must provide a valid e-mail address in order to receive the temporary authority.Holders of foreign based certificates must contact the Airmen Certification Branch to request temporary authority. You must have a current verification of the foreign license on file with the Airmen Certification Branch to be eligible for a FAX or e-mail. In compliance with the policy dated July 23, 2002, airmen applying for a replacement certificate issued on the basis of a foreign license under 14 CFR Part 61, Section 61.75 or 14 CFR Part 63, Section 63.42, must complete and submit a Verification of Authenticity of Foreign License, Rating, and Medical Certification form to the Airmen Certification Branch and appear at a FSDO for positive identification to make application for a replacement certificate.The Comprehensive Airmen Information System will perform system edits on your record to determine whether we can furnish temporary authority through the on-line process. You may get a message saying it will be necessary for you to contact us direct for temporary authority. These edits are for your protection, and we apologize for any inconvenience.All pilot certificates with powered ratings, Flight Engineer certificates, Flight Navigator certificates, and Control Tower Operator certificates will now be issued with an endorsement stating "English Proficient." This is a requirement of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO). The endorsement will automatically be placed on any qualifying replacement certificates you order.

According to the FAA website, a person can either request a replacement certificate online (registering with Online Services is required), or mail a written request. It says that if you mail a request, it can be expected to take around 4 to 6 weeks.

Does anyone know how long it takes if you do it online? I actually mailed a written request last week due to misplacing my certificate, but I'm wondering if would be okay if I sent an online request provided that it's faster?
Either way you'll get another plastic card. If you use online, you get emailed a PDF file you print and is a temp cert until the plastic one shows up.

Thanks for your replies. I'm sad to say it, but this is the second time I have misplaced my certificate (what a wonderful pilot I must be), and I already requested a fax in March 2016. I was always under the impression that you could only get one period (as it says it on the temp certificate), but I just now noticed that it says you're allowed only one within a six month period. So now I can perhaps obtain another one. This time I plan to tape my cert in my logbook (my medical examiner gave me one on paper, not a plastic one that fits in the wallet).

If you request a temporary, it comes back within hours by email.

A new physical certificate takes a few weeks but it didn't seem too unreasonable.

I lost my license please help me get it replaced need it for a job asap

I lost my license please help me get it replaced need it for a job asap

Go to the FAA website and fill out the form. You should get a temporary replacement as a pdf in your email shortly thereafter, and the card will come in the mail in a couple of weeks.

This time I plan to tape my cert in my logbook (my medical examiner gave me one on paper, not a plastic one that fits in the wallet).

Except for student pilots who need to have their logbooks (with endorsements) when flying solo, it is probably not a good idea to carry your logbook along on flights. It is too valuable to possibly leave it in an airplane or misplace it.

Keep it in a safe place at home. Also, if you are ever ramp checked by an FAA inspector, he or she has the right to inspect your logbook if you have it with you. I have been ramp checked three times, and if the inspector wanted to verify currency or other qualifications, I'd have the opportunity to review it before presenting it to him later.

That was information I did not know. Another little tidbit none of my CFIs happened to toss my way.

My first ramp check, many years ago, the two FAA inspectors asked me for "proof of a Flight Review, if you have it." I did, but later I stopped carrying my logbook when I flew my airplane.

How does ramp check work? If you don’t have documents but you are at your hangar does that matter? How do they know you were actually going to fly? Or does a person pop out of nowhere after you fired up the engine? :confused:

Some documents need to be in the airplane. AROW.

Some documents need to be supplied to the FAA for review if requested.

I have pictures or scans of my documents on my phone and tablet. Also a picture of my last Flight Review endorsement.

If the airplane is in a hangar?

very possible the annual lapsed… or is being worked on.

Or just means if pulled the airplane out of the hangar?

what’s the criteria?

How does ramp check work? If you don’t have documents but you are at your hangar does that matter? How do they know you were actually going to fly? Or does a person pop out of nowhere after you fired up the engine? :confused:
I have had three.

1. Was putting the airplane back into my hangar when a blue van approached. Two inspectors walked over, showed ID badges, and asked to see the airplane docs - airworthiness, registration, POH or owner's manual, weight and balance. I also showed them the radio license, but they said that's FCC business. Also looked at my pilot certificate, medical, and photo ID. Asked for proof of a flight review "if you have it." I did, and they said they knew the CFI, Michelle Straus. Funny I remember her name after so many years.

2. I was picking up a passenger so had taxied over to the FBO office. Inspector came out of the building, identified himself and said, "Do you mind if I do a ramp check?" I asked, "Do I get a choice?" "No." Showed him the same docs. He compared the POH to the serial number on the data plate of the airplane. This time I wasn't asked about the flight review. Took about five minutes.

3. Inspector came into the FBO where I was getting ready to take a student up for a lesson. He saw the student doing a preflight and asked if I were his instructor. When I said yes, he suggested doing a check of my credentials as a lesson for the student pilot. So, when the student came into the building, I showed the inspector my certificates and ID. He did not ask about the airplane documents.

POH or owner's manual: I'd have a hard time with that. There's an owner's manual, but it's not a required document. What is required is the limitations book which is not very impressive.

POH or owner's manual: I'd have a hard time with that. There's an owner's manual, but it's not a required document. What is required is the limitations book which is not very impressive.
You’re right, operating limitations. In my three airplanes, found in the POH.

Mine just has the W&B envelope and a few speeds and fuel/oil types listed. There's nothing that looks like a POH that other planes have.
There are a few required placards however. I do have a bunch of supplements to the non-existent flight manual for various STC additions (long range tanks, autopilot, engine monitor, IFR GPS, etc...).

That was information I did not know. Another little tidbit none of my CFIs happened to toss my way.

Many people on this board have been flying for decades and still learn new things. It is just not possible for any CFI to teach a student everything he needs to know about aviation in a Private Pilot course. Many have described a Private certificate as a license to learn.

Jon

My CFII got lost in the mail. I called them and I had a new one in two weeks.

Regular charge is $2.

All my experiences with airman certification and IACRA help lines have been great.

Back