Requested information from decades ago for medical cert

N

Nohj

Hi all,

I'm 30 years old. About 12 years ago I started training to get my PPL, and I had to go through some hoops to get my medical back then. I had to see a psychiatrist to evaluate me and "clinically cure" me, then in the end I was approved for my medical without any issues.

This is all stemming off of the fact that when I was around 7-8 years old I was diagnosed with OCD caused by PANDAS (basically OCD being caused by strep throat in children).

As a kid I was actively treated for this and I was on medication until I was around 15. After age 15 my doctor basically said "the dosage you are on is so tiny that I would be surprised if it's doing anything for you" and at that point I stopped all medication, and stopped being seen. I have never seen physicians or anything since that time (aside from when I had to get clinically cured for my medical ~12 years ago).

I ended up stopping flying due to lack of funds while in college, and then after college got a career and settled in. Now I'm at a point where I want to start flying again. I decided to get my medical out of the way before anything else. I went in and took my physical and the doctor there saw absolutely no issues at all and approved me. Now it's been around 6 months later and I got a letter in mail from the FAA saying that I need to provide this additional information:

"A current history and clinical examination from your treating physician regarding your history of PANDAS and OCD, the report should include treatment plan, over-the-counter and prescription medications, and prognosis. Include the results of any current testing deemed appropriate."

My question is, I haven't been treated for this for at least 15 years, if not longer. I don't understand how I'm supposed to see my "treating physician" about this? The person I last saw about it is probably retired by now. Do they mean to just go to my regular doctor and have them evaluate me and send my medical records off to the FAA?

Am I going to have to go through this every single time I renew my medical? I called the FAA and asked them and didn't get a clear answer, I was also a bit disappointed they said they couldn't just use the information from the last time I got my medical since literally nothing has changed.

The only medication I'm on or have been on is Claritin for allergies in the last 15 years.

Nothing to add unfortunately but I'm curious, are you able to continue flying while you send in this information?

Yeah I can continue flying as it wasn't a straight up denial, but I haven't even began flying (again) quite yet. I had a feeling this would be an issue again so I wanted to get it out of the way as my plan is to try and knock out my PPL as streamlined as possible without having to wait weeks or months on this...

They are trying to prove you don't have recurrent disease. To do that you need the entire life data. Recurrent disease that has recurred and is untreated is always denied. So you really have to get that record if you can.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back