Request your best speed

Jhernandez04

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
TheHulk
Was flying under class bravo today and Flight Following asked me for my best speed....

I repeated the question because I was confused, hell... I was about to tell him the book numbers on my piper said it should go about 130 knots but before I could say anything he asked me to go as fast as I could towards the water tower south of runway 36.

I quickly went full throttle and to my surprise.... I was indicatin 160mph +- which is odd because my indicated airspeed is usually 140 ish.

Anyways, he thanked me for my help and I was cleared on 36 and landed uneventfully. :)

Just hadn't heard that request in my young flying career.

I got a request for "best forward speed" out in the super cub the other day...I couldn't bring myself to tell him what he was seeing is pretty much what he was gonna get.

I got that going into Toronto one time while flying a Piper Dakota. Did the ILS at 140 with a 747 on my tail. Made the controller happy.

It means if you can go faster that would be great but if not no big ****ing deal, we'll figure it out.

It means if you can go faster that would be great but if not no big ****ing deal, we'll figure it out.

I gathered that when he said in his firm tone that he needed my best rate of speed towards the water tower....

It clicked in my head and I kind of lol'D at myself but then started scanning because I was curious why I had to get my ass in gear... 737 @ 9'o clock climbing rapidly.

Having been brought up in Class B (BWI)--PPL and IR--I heard this constantly.

It was fun especially on instrument approaches. I learned how to fly the FAC at 110 kts in a C172--that's blistering in a Skyhawk!

Was flying under class bravo today and Flight Following asked me for my best speed....

I repeated the question because I was confused, hell... I was about to tell him the book numbers on my piper said it should go about 130 knots but before I could say anything he asked me to go as fast as I could towards the water tower south of runway 36.

I quickly went full throttle and to my surprise.... I was indicatin 160mph +- which is odd because my indicated airspeed is usually 140 ish.

Anyways, he thanked me for my help and I was cleared on 36 and landed uneventfully. :)

Just hadn't heard that request in my young flying career.

Yeah, you'll get that every now and then around commercial airports, likely to prevent the jet from getting a resolution alert from its TCAS.

So, if you're on the ILS and stabilized in a bugsmasher and a controller asks for best forward speed what do you guys think is appropriate give him? Just curious.

So, if you're on the ILS and stabilized in a bugsmasher and a controller asks for best forward speed what do you guys think is appropriate give him? Just curious.

Whatever you and the airplane are comfortable with. Like someone said above, if you can't make it happen the controllers will figure something out.

If I'm already gear and flaps in I'll take it to the top of the flap or gear speed.

Last year into SLC I got "give me your best forward speed" as I was cleared for the ILS 17. I managed to stay at the "top of the green" or about 180 KIAS until about 500 AGL (bases were about 900 AGL) where I had to slow down so I could lower the gear. With little wind and around 6000 DA I needed a slightly uncomfortable 1000 FPM to stay on the GS. That's the fasted I've ever flown an approach. Usually I just drop the gear first and keep the speed around 150 KIAS (Vle is 154) when asked to go fast.

"Maximum forward airspeed, best forward, keep the speed up on final, no delay crossing." None of those mean go to VNE. Just do the what you're comfortable with. Won't do anyone any good (except the guy behind you) if you go so fast on final that can't make the runway.

They usually ask me to slow down...I like your controller.

Hauling auto parts (well over gross) one nasty thunderstorm afternoon the controller at ORD wanted 170 knots over the fence and to land long (obviously he screwed up)
Well, 170k in a Beech 18 would be a handful but we did the best we could and came smoking across the fence just like the big boys except we still had gear and flaps up. They almost had to shoot us down - or clear us to turn off at Midway.
A couple of weeks later the boss was grumbling about having to change the tires on the old girl 'again' and couldn't figure out how they got so thin so fast. I looked at Ron and he looked at me - and went on with what we were doing.

"I'm pedaling as fast as I can."

Tell the controller what you can do, and for how long.

I've only gotten it once, going into BDL, a Class C. It was great fun, really. I was in a Skyhawk and kept it right at 120 knots or so until a 2 ish mile final, then pulled the power and dumped the flaps when I was in the white arc. Slowed right up and greased it on...then got my self off the runway right quick for the 737 behind me :).

Once I was right seat departing KMIA and departure asked for 'best speed'. I pitched for 250 as we were below 10,000' and my Captain came unglued and dials up 330, and gets exasperated that I won't speed up...repeating the instruction like I didn't hear it and pointing at the airspeed indicator. I blew him off.

Once I was right seat departing KMIA and departure asked for 'best speed'. I pitched for 250 as we were below 10,000' and my Captain came unglued and dials up 330, and gets exasperated that I won't speed up...repeating the instruction like I didn't hear it and pointing at the airspeed indicator. I blew him off.

I've had the same experience while flying under the class B, guys thinking a controller asking for best best is permission to break the 200 knot speed limit.

Having been brought up in Class B (BWI)--PPL and IR--I heard this constantly.

It was fun especially on instrument approaches. I learned how to fly the FAC at 110 kts in a C172--that's blistering in a Skyhawk!
I got in the habit of flying 120 knot approaches in my old 180hp Maule.

I'd vector around at 112 (full power cruise) then go to reflex flaps at GS intercept and keep most of the power on. It grooved at 120 and meshed well with the jet traffic I suppose. The reflex flaps didn't let you cruise any faster like the factory said but they did let that big, 'lifty' flat bottom wing come down nicely.

At 500' I'd smoothly come back on the power and the thing would practically come to a stop. I always loved popping out the clouds and 3 pointing it in front of a line of jets. :D

I'm going to be curious what it cost to land at DFW.

Been many years since I landed there, but it didn't cost me a dime. I was dropping off a buddy who flew for AA.

<snip from dfw website>

Landing and facility fees
Landing and facility fees are not waived with fuel purchases. Landing fees are $3.53 for each 1000 pounds of max gross landing weight.

Facility fees are charged for each 24 hour period or part thereof and are based on max gross landing weight as follows:

0-12,500 pounds
-
$70
12,501-25,000
-
$90
25,001-50,000
-
$110
50,001 – 100,000
-
$130
100,001 – 200,000
-
$150

I'm going to presume he was under 12,500, so $70, but I've heard that they charge more if you actually get out of the plane, go somewhere, then come back to the plane, then get in the plane and leave. I believe it was under 'incidental services' on the invoice but didn't get any further info.

Give us your best speed ,is all relative to the pilot skill level,just like keep your speed up.

Flying a C-152 (PPL training), I was once asked for best speed while on final, because another aircraft was on a 10mi final (he had priority). We pushed as hard as we could and hit the brakes hard, then turned off the runway just in time to see the other aircraft land.

NUQ, parallel runways, parallel approaches not allowed.
Other aircraft was NASA's U2 - a bit faster than my Cessna.
Pretty cool sight.

Flying a C-152 (PPL training), I was once asked for best speed while on final, because another aircraft was on a 10mi final (he had priority). We pushed as hard as we could and hit the brakes hard, then turned off the runway just in time to see the other aircraft land.

Pretty cool sight.

I'd guess not that much faster.

Pretty cool sight.

Don't they have a guy chasing them down the runway in a really fast car to tell them their height above the ground? I'd love to see that some day.

I got a request for "best forward speed" out in the super cub the other day...I couldn't bring myself to tell him what he was seeing is pretty much what he was gonna get.

I've always wondered about the request, best forward speed, I mean in a fixed wing that's in cruise there is no best reverse speed.

Still no info on the cost for the landing at DFW?

Whatever you and the airplane are comfortable with. Like someone said above, if you can't make it happen the controllers will figure something out.

Yeah, they'll cancel your landing clearance, send you around, and tell you that you will have to land at another airport because "we don't have time for you."

They did manage to work me in, though, considering I was a part 135 and really needed to be there. Apparently, they could not work with 140 KIAS on the approach, and then down to 120 in close. As soon as I dropped to 120, they waved me off.

Still no info on the cost for the landing at DFW?
Why don't you call and ask them? We landed there unexpectedly last week because both ADS and DAL were below minimums. I don't remember what the landing fee was but I do remember it was not waived with a fuel purchase. The CSR explained that is was because the FBO was operated by the airport and not a private entity. They were pretty nice and I'm sure they would answer your question.

I got "Best forward speed" once going into SNA in my 172, and after a couple minutes they told me to slow down because I was actually catching up to the 757 in front of me.

I got in the habit of flying 120 knot approaches in my old 180hp Maule.

I'd vector around at 112 (full power cruise) then go to reflex flaps at GS intercept and keep most of the power on. It grooved at 120 and meshed well with the jet traffic I suppose. The reflex flaps didn't let you cruise any faster like the factory said but they did let that big, 'lifty' flat bottom wing come down nicely.

At 500' I'd smoothly come back on the power and the thing would practically come to a stop. I always loved popping out the clouds and 3 pointing it in front of a line of jets. :D

As "unusual" as it may be, once you've practiced such an approach thoroughly, it will work just as well as anything else.

Class B--they're used to FACs at 130-150 kts. If you come in at 65 kts on a five-mile FAC, you are not going to be well-liked.

Back