Reputation Pings - NA

wbarnhill

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iEXTERMINATE
It's started :D The use of reputation points to "exact revenge" against someone with an opposing view. I've seen much worse posts on here than my own, much more personally attacking posts, and much less thought out. And yet my posts, which usually take as much information into account as possible are getting pinged. Why? I don't know, but I'm not going to go around and ping the people who I disagree with. The two posts that I was pinged on were dealing with either requesting that someone back up an attack with data and information, and one requesting that someone think through what they were saying. But no matter. I'll wear the negative reputation with pride. Shows that my points are getting through to people enough that they're spending precious moments of their time to ping me. :) So thanks again everyone, and keep it up!

(By the way, I'm looking forward to the lovely responses to this post :) I'd love to see the reasoning provided by my fellow users!)

Thread Date Comment
reputation_neg.gif
Reputation Pings - NA May 1st, 2005 02:46 PM Are you suffering from the impression that you are the only one to get negative reputation? Whining about it won't help.

Thank you anonymous person :) I appreciate your concern.

Any more?

wbarnhill said:
It's started :D The use of reputation points to "exact revenge" against someone with an opposing view. I've seen much worse posts on here than my own, much more personally attacking posts, and much less thought out. And yet my posts, which usually take as much information into account as possible are getting pinged. Why? I don't know, but I'm not going to go around and ping the people who I disagree with. The two posts that I was pinged on were dealing with either requesting that someone back up an attack with data and information, and one requesting that someone think through what they were saying. But no matter. I'll wear the negative reputation with pride. Shows that my points are getting through to people enough that they're spending precious moments of their time to ping me. :) So thanks again everyone, and keep it up!

(By the way, I'm looking forward to the lovely responses to this post :) I'd love to see the reasoning provided by my fellow users!)

Don't feel bad, I got pinged for not being a died in the wool conservative... doesn't matter anyway, I've got 3 positives and one negative last I saw. I understand the anonimity of the process, I just wish it didn't have to be so. A person is free to say and feel about me as they wish, no sweat, I just would like that when someone feels strongly enough about me or what I say to comment as to their feelings, that I know who they are so that I can respond to them.

Edit: Is there anyway to put a blind responder feature to the reputation point comments? That would allow a person to repond to the comment without giving up the origional commentors identity.

Last edited:
The whole reputation thing is still a bit of an experiment. There are far more positives than negatives, even for you William. Yes, I can see them all. No, I won't say anything one way or the other. That's Chuck's call, not mine. I will say that, while I don't read every thread, seeing a bunch of positive/negative (more the latter) assigned to a single person in a short timeframe does tell me if a thread might be sliding downhill. That's about the only reason I monitor reputation.

And I don't give/take rep points for something I'm involved in, like a running debate. In all honesty, I shouldn't even get involved in those in the first place, primarily because (a) I know the way I feel won't change based on what you say, (b) I'm pretty sure the way you feel won't change based on what I say and (c) it's not really going to make that much difference in the world in the long run as long as there is a class divide between electors and electees...which there is.

Don't take yourself so seriously...nobody else does. ;)

Brian,

Yeah, I'm just stirring the pot. I figured I could go around making everyone look at my little red block and thinking "ooh... what'd HE do?"

And someone ruined that plan by sending me a positive. Grr. But in any case, I'd just hate to see people get negative reputations for their opinions if it's not the popular opinion. That's the reason for the post.

*stirs some more*

wbarnhill said:
Brian,

Yeah, I'm just stirring the pot. I figured I could go around making everyone look at my little red block and thinking "ooh... what'd HE do?"

And someone ruined that plan by sending me a positive. Grr. But in any case, I'd just hate to see people get negative reputations for their opinions if it's not the popular opinion. That's the reason for the post.

*stirs some more*
"Stirring the pot" can also be interpreted as trolling, a good way to alienate lots of folks, regardless of their political beliefs. If you hadn't noticed, the Rules of Conduct specifically prohibit trolling, along with a definition. It's a fine line. Please don't cross it.

And when you leave college and get into the real world, you might find the theories aren't necessarily correct. ;)

To be perfectly honest I completely ignore the reputation rating nonsense. It's kind of silly. Who am I to go around rating other peoples opinion. And I almost always agree with you William. :yes: Now, eBay feedback, well, that's sacred.

corjulo said:
Now, eBay feedback, well, that's sacred.

Yeah - that works so well too ;)

Most of the time, the seller wont post feedback until the buyer does, and if the buyer posts negative feedback, you can be sure the seller will too. Basically, big sellers with lots of positive feedback can hold a small buyer to ransom over feedback :

I once posted a neutral on ebay after buying a set of CDs. Shipping was $7. The single padded mailer and $0.80 postage didn't seem to add up to $7 for me, so I posted that the goods were good, but the shipping seemed excessive - I got a negative for my trouble, despite paying for the goods in less than an hour of the auction end. BTW - it turned out the seller was a scammer, and after the first 100 or so deliveries, took the money and ran with the rest - I got my stuff, which really wasn't what was advertised, but thats the risk with Ebay.

My point ? Reputation is a good thing, if people use it fairly - at the moment, I see it as a anonymous way to take a shot at a post, without having to explain your position. :dunno:

SJP said:

Most of the time, the seller wont post feedback until the buyer does, and if the buyer posts negative feedback, you can be sure the seller will too. Basically, big sellers with lots of positive feedback can hold a small buyer to ransom over feedback :

I once posted a neutral on ebay after buying a set of CDs. Shipping was $7. The single padded mailer and $0.80 postage didn't seem to add up to $7 for me, so I posted that the goods were good, but the shipping seemed excessive - I got a negative for my trouble, despite paying for the goods in less than an hour of the auction end. BTW - it turned out the seller was a scammer, and after the first 100 or so deliveries, took the money and ran with the rest - I got my stuff, which really wasn't what was advertised, but thats the risk with Ebay.

My point ? Reputation is a good thing, if people use it fairly - at the moment, I see it as a anonymous way to take a shot at a post, without having to explain your position. :dunno:

Keep in mind a lot of ebay sellers, myself included, will offer items very cheap and make of the difference in shipping. This allow us to circumvent ebay fee's and the buyer still gets the item at a good price. I agree the seller was a jerk to give negative feedback on a neutral. There are ways to get back at those kind of seller :rofl:

I hate when people use eBay like that. You find a possible good deal, then find out that shipping is 5 times the price of the item! I find it annoying as hell and won't buy from sellers doing that, and it's not really fair to eBay either.

SJP said:

You actually just made an interesting argument for anonymity (not your intent I don't thinK). Actually, I'm on the fence on this whole issue, and once told Wm. that it seemed like a way of flaming someone for disagreeing with you without reproach. Thing is, the mods are telling us that's not what is happening, and if it were NOT anonymous, you would almost be guaranteed a negative for a negative.... like with eBay! I'm so confused..... (still on fence :D ).

Side note on eBay and shipping, as a buyer I now insist on them first. Hey, my part of the transaction is over way before I get the goods. If they cannot trust I'll be happy, they shouldn't sell to me. I bought something recently, got a shipping quote of "around $10" before I bid. After winning, he sent an invoice. Shipping? $14.65! I complained, he said his cost was higher than expected, and that was that. When the package arrived? Label says he paid $8.90 I was sooo mad... did I respond? Well, here's a clue... I still have 100% positive feedback.

Last edited:
wbarnhill said:
It's started :D The use of reputation points to "exact revenge" against someone with an opposing view.

I'd sure hope it doesn't deteriorate to that. I look at reputation points
as a reflection of someone's civility in presenting their views ... not what
those views are. I have friends and family members I disagree with
politically. It results in some interesting discussions. Sometimes I see
things in a new light .. and sometimes they do.

Back