Reputation comments now required.

Greebo

N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
Effective Immediately:

Leaving a comment when using the reputation system is required.

Generally speaking, positive reputation feedback comments may be something simple like "good post". However, when leaving negative feedback, it will be expected that you give a reason for the feedback.

The purpose of this change is to provide recipients of negative feedback with meaningful, constructive criticism about their post. Our goal is to eliminate "drive by shooting" of reputation, and negative feedback left without a meaningful comment may be subject to deletion.

If you receive a reputation hit following the posting of this announcement that does not comply with the requirements, send a PM to either Brian or myself, and we will investigate the matter and act appropriately.

Our judgements will be final, and Brian and I will also be keeping each other informed of the other's investigations, so it will only be necessary to contact one of us, thanks. :)

Please note also that this change will have no impact on the poll regarding the long term status of Reputation. If reputation stays, this change will stay as well. If reputation goes, it becomes a moot point. :)

Meaningful means a comment in english that conveys a reason for the reputation hit. No judgement will be made regarding the "validity" of the reason. You retain full discretion concerning what justifies an approval or a disapproval, so long as the remark doesn't violate the RoC.

Meaningless would be entering something like ")@(#*$&" to get around the requirement.

Joe Williams said:
And what constitutes meaningful?

I would think a statement other than "your a jerk" or "dumb__s" would work :)

I for one think this is a good idea and has moved my postioin from not sure if Rep points are a good idea to I think they will work in the long run.

Good choice chuck!

Greebo said:
Meaningful means a comment in english that conveys a reason for the reputation hit.

Chuck,

So sarcasm is OK or do I have to ding you for avoiding a direct question?

;<)

Hey, this could be more fun than finding out how many hours it takes to fly a helicopter.

Len

To paraphrase William Macy from Fargo,
"Sir, I answered your question!"
:p

Steve said:
Can we set up a customizable drop down menu of standard phraseology whereby the certitude of the approval or disapproval can be shared to a high degree of precision and forestall any doubt as to the commentator's true feeling regarding their visceral and/or intellectual response to the post? I'm thinking maybe 420 levels of comments should suffice.
Sure. Start typing so we can copy and paste.

Anything less than 420 separate, distinct comments will be unacceptable. ;)

Steve said:
Development work will comence pending receipt of the appropriate legal documents providing indemnity for any misuse of the content.

:p
We'll put it to the lawyer right away.

Of course, we'd have to GET a lawyer first. And that means we'd have to charge big fees to afford the lawyer. Sure you want to go here, Steve? :hairraise:

Back