Republic F-105 Thunderchief in USAFE and ANG service

I think Rupert Red Two was the third in the series, also a very good read. Another great read is American Patriot: The Life and Wars of Colonel Bud Day. Colonel Day was a MOH recipient.

Yep, I read RR2 and then Thud Ridge. I thought it was both strange and sad at how he retired. No fanfare, no ceremony, just signed his papers and left.

I've got American Patriot as well. Actually met Col Day once years ago when he was campaigning for McCain. I heard he was coming into the local airport so I raced out there to get him to sign his book. He was just sitting on a bench by himself. Awesome guy. Very personable. I brought up the ejection seat story that happened in Germany. His eyes lit up and he started rambling on about details of the event. He was a true American hero.

Thanks McFly,

I do search google but often find that if you do not use exactly the right wording you come up blank or with very little. I like your idea of using the word reunion and will try that. I know that this is mainly a civil forum, however there are many ex-military pilots flying civil aircraft now.

To get back to my original request. I wish to contact Thunderchief (That is the F-105) aircrew and groundcrews who served in USAFE with the 36th and 49th TFW and in the ANG with the 108th, 113th, 116th, 177th, 184th and 192nd TFW. Any help in contacting these gentlemen would be much appreciated.
Try checking with those units directly -- you can find them via http://www.af.mil. Beyond that, you'd do best to contact the Red River Valley Fighter Pilots Association ("River Rats") -- as I said originally, we flew (and lost) a lot of Thuds up in RP VI.

Thanks McFly,

I do search google but often find that if you do not use exactly the right wording you come up blank or with very little. I like your idea of using the word reunion and will try that. I know that this is mainly a civil forum, however there are many ex-military pilots flying civil aircraft now.
Perhaps, but not too many ex-Thud pilots -- it's been over 30 years since the last Thud was retired, and that was a reserve unit which likely had very few if any pilots under 30.

Back