Reporting flight time on MedXpress 8500-8

gismo

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iGismo
Am I required to report my total and recent (past 6 months) flight time? I didn't think there was any requirement to keep such a record except as needed to qualify for an additional rating. I log all my time so I have a record for currency but haven't actually totaled the numbers for a few years and am not looking forward to all that work. My medical exam is scheduled for next Monday so I'd better figure this out soon.

On a related note:

What does total and recent flight time have to do with my health?

Baring a FAR that requires me to keep track of my flight time other than what's needed for currency, how can the FAA require an accurate answer to this question on the 8500-8?

One other question for the 8500-8:
I wear "multi-vision" contacts (improves near and far vision in both eyes). Does that mean I should check the box with the this title?

"Do You Ever Use Near Vision Contact Lens(es) While Flying?"

I seems to me the answer should be yes but I've asked the AME before if I should answer that question yes on the old form and was always told no.

Last edited:
I don't think it's required. My understanding is they use the data as a monitoring point for pilot activity in general.

I don't think it's required. My understanding is they use the data as a monitoring point for pilot activity in general.
So can I just put 0 in the boxes? Seems like that would be supplying a false answer. The system won't accept the form unless I put something in there.

:confused: What's the issue with putting in the correct numbers?

You don't need to be that accurate. Just take a guess and write "est".

I put in accurate numbers (from logbook pro) as it provides a backup in case I lose all MY records somehow. But there's no requirement to be exact.

Nothing with your health, it's recorded time in case you lose your log or if you get killed and the NTSB can't find your log.

One other question for the 8500-8:
I wear "multi-vision" contacts (improves near and far vision in both eyes). Does that mean I should check the box with the this title?

I seems to me the answer should be yes but I've asked the AME before if I should answer that question yes on the old form and was always told no.

IIRC, that question is aimed at mono vision lens use, one near, one far. With your setup, the answer is no. There's a Webinar on either EAA or AOPA (or maybe both) on filling out the form that covers this topic. Your AME was right.

Cheers

Am I required to report my total and recent (past 6 months) flight time? I didn't think there was any requirement to keep such a record except as needed to qualify for an additional rating. I log all my time so I have a record for currency but haven't actually totaled the numbers for a few years and am not looking forward to all that work. My medical exam is scheduled for next Monday so I'd better figure this out soon.
In addition to the things mentioned above, if you have an accident and the investigators can't find your pilot logbook, they'll use a more recent medical application to update your last reported times from other sources for investigative purposes.

Multifocal contacts are not near vision contacts, so the answer there is "no."

Hours are used for stats for the government. Easiest way to track GA flying hours. Also used in the report if you should crash and not make it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back