Reporting equip failures

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
So we are constantly getting gps outages in this area due to military activity.

§91.187 requires us to report 'nav. equipment malfunctions'.

Usually I hear an abbreviation of the required reporting such as "______ is dead-reckoning" followed by atc acknowledgment.
For the first time now, I see a document (below) saying we are "encouraged" to report only if we need assistance.
Does this faa document supercede the fars?
(This one will affect my weekend flights.)

Attachments

• WSMR_16-01_GPS_Flight_Advisory.pdf
    249.7 KB · Views: 12
Loss of GPS signal due to military activity is not equipment failure. Your equipment did not fail. The signal did. At least that is the way I read it. Obviously if you were using that signal to navigate at the time, some sort of call to ATC would seem appropriate. If that means asking for Radar Vectors, seems to me like that is needing assistance.

Being in the general region (SW) I get those notices as well. I have never observed and actual outage. How many actual signal losses have you had? I am a considerable distance from the "epicenter" TCS but fly at altitudes often included in the warning.

What I would do is just not plan on being able to use the GPS on flights in that area.

So we are constantly getting gps outages in this area due to military activity.

§91.187 requires us to report 'nav. equipment malfunctions'.

Usually I hear an abbreviation of the required reporting such as "______ is dead-reckoning" followed by atc acknowledgment.
For the first time now, I see a document (below) saying we are "encouraged" to report only if we need assistance.
Does this faa document supercede the fars?
(This one will affect my weekend flights.)

91.187 came out of the TWA/UAL mid-air over New York City in December, 1960. GPS outages weren't even a gleam in daddy's eye then. :D

ATC is required to log GPS anomalies but that's for unscheduled stuff. This appears to be known for pilots operating in that area. If you inform ATC, they probably won't do anything with the report.

Back