Report on a poorly dressed texas based pilot's trip to Chicago

Gubbins

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
gone for good
I thought I would share my experiences as a warm weather Texas based
recreational pilot flying into a cold location so that someone out there may
learn from my experiences of perhaps what NOT to do.
:rolleyes:

I planned a trip from Dallas to Chicago to attend a conference, and thought it
would be a good opportunity to do a longer trip than typical for my in my Cessna 206. I watched the weather for days, planning the perfect time to go between the inevitable wintry weather events so that I wouldn't have to deal with any ice. My plan was to arrive on Wednesday last week. It turned out that
on Thursday/Friday a snowstorm was forecast to hit so a Wednesday arrival should get me in before it got too exciting. I originally planned to land at Midway, but they did not have any hangar space available, so ended up arranging to go to DuPage instead. Nice flight there, and did the GPS 20R approach through a solid overcast. I only got my IR seven months ago, so really enjoyed doing a "real" instrument approach. Nice easy landing, and got my plane safely stored in a warm hangar so that I wouldn't have to deal with removing snow, or dealing with a cold plane (or so I thought). Unfortunately the trip back wasn't quite as good. It snowed Thursday night through Friday, with quite a few icing reports and an icing airmet on friday so I elected to wait until Saturday to leave. On Saturday, I got to the airport nice and early (6 AM) so that I could get home at a decent time. I had called ahead to have my plane brought to the ramp at 6:30 AM. The temperature was 17 F with a clear sky and fairly brisk wind. When I got there, my plane hadn't been brought out yet which I was pleased to see since I didn't want it to have stood outside and cooled down too much.

Did my preflight and nearly froze to death (no gloves, no hat and a lousy jacket), and was so pleased to get into the plane so I could start it up and get warm. Turned the key, and the engine started and turned for maybe four or five seconds then turned off! Cursing myself for letting it die, I tried cranking again. The engine turned over very slowly and pathetically, and it was QUITE clear that the battery had decided that I had had my chance, and blown it, and too bad I was not going to get another chance. So, out I got, freezing and back to the FBO office to ask for a jump start. Two guys were there, and they said they would have to get the power unit from the other side of the airport. So I waited at the plane, freezing a little more waiting for maybe 10 or 15 minutes. One of them plugged the plane in and told me how he hates jumping Cessnas, said it is one of the most dangerous aspects of his job (that made me feel bad that my ineptitude was causing him to fear for his life). Anyway, got it plugged in, and turned the engine. Engine turned over like it should, but nothing. I tried several more starts. Nothing. Tried a flooded start thinking I had flooded it. Nothing. Not knowing what else to do, I asked for a preheat as well. That was another truck that had to come out while I continued regretting my poor choice
in clothes on that fine winter's day. Did the whole preheat thing for 10 minutes or so, while I was sitting there wondering what to do next. They disconnected the preheat, and we tried again. The engine started immediately! I was delirious with joy, thinking now I can get on my way, get some heat going in the plane and try to thaw out some of my frostbite that I was sure I had by now.

I waited patiently for the oil temperture to rise, got the weather, got my IFR clearance, and then asked to taxi to the active. But, alas, my adventure was not over. I did my runup, waited for my IFR release then was cleared to take
off. I turned onto the runway, and started to roll. The plane immediately pulled to the right, HARD, so I stopped and told the tower I had a problem and wanted to taxi back. The tower cleared me to do a 180 on the runway, and back to the taxiway. This is when I discovered that the right wheel was completely and utterly locked up. I could only turn in a right circle. So here I was on the damn runway, completely baffled as to why this was the case (I'm a transplant from South Africa living in Texas, I don't know about brakes freezing or other such nonsense). The tower helpfully offered to get my a tug. My two dear now longtime friends from the FBO came back in their truck and we hooked the plane up to drag it back to the FBO. They warned me if the wheel locked up and started dragging, they would have to get a dolly and that the operation
would now be considered a "salvage" operation with specific hourly charges. This is when I started seeing visions of hundred dollar bills with wings flying out the window in a great green flock... So I sat on the right side, dispairing, looking out the window at the right wheel while they towed it slowly. I could hear the brake dragging. Then, suddenly, it freed itself. So I asked them to unhitch me in a vacant part of the ramp so I could see how it was performing. Now all this time, I'm thinking that the damn engine probably won't start again and that I would never fly to a cold place ever again! But, luckily, it started fine and I spent quite a bit of time taxiing around, trying the brakes, and convincing myself that all was well. I then contacted clearance again, and had to sheepishly ask for my IFR clearance for the second time.

The rest of the flight was perfect, and I was very happy to return to a warm Dallas a few hours later. I will be getting the battery checked and possibly replaced this week. In spite of the frostbite, I did learn some valuable points.
1. Take gloves, hats and a proper winter jacket when flying to a cold place!
2. Make sure the battery is top notch before the trip, and within spec because you don't want to be
stranded in the cold.
3. Even if it has been in the hangar, ask for a preheat if it is cold outside.
4. I don't know what I could have done about the frozen brake. Any ideas?
Thanks for listening.

Last edited:
Wow, a frozen brake. That's a great story.

Still, I have to wag my finger about packing the correct clothing for survival.

Ya might could have dragged your brakes lightly to keep them warm. Also possibly had the fbo douse them wih deice fluid prior to taxi.

Also assuming no wheel pants on this plane correct?

Enjoyed the story.

This is why all the big flight schools are down in sunny Florida. ;) Good write-up, thanks for sharing!

ROFL... I'm just having that Been There, Done That, Too Many Times... feeling. :)

Glad you survived your trip to the Great White North. ;)

The hangar must have been unheated? Otherwise a preheat would not be necessary. Sure sounded like frosted plugs. And the brake - taxied through slush or wet snow? To freeze, need moisture. Unless the brake mechanism was sticking due to the cold.
Clothing - the closest to dangerous hypothermia I have been was in a 150 in Texas after a blue norther; not enough clothes on, the heat vent had been wired closed (Fla plane).

Ya might could have dragged your brakes lightly to keep them warm. Also possibly had the fbo douse them wih deice fluid prior to taxi.

Never drag the brakes in cold weather. That heats them up, and any snow that blows onto them will melt and then freeze once the airplane stops for a few minutes. That's likely what happened here. There's a danger that you could take off with wet brakes that then freeze in flight, and upon touchdown you either blow a tire, or they break free and turn OK. Taxiing through a puddle can also cause grief when the brakes freeze in flight and you land somewhere colder with them locked up.

If they freeze and you can;t move, shut down, get out, and kick that tire really hard either forward or backward to break it loose.

Deice fluid would gum things up and make the brakes useless. it's slippery stuff.

Hypothermia can kill a pilot forced down in cold weather. It happens here in Canada to perfectly uninjured folks (or sometimes lightly injured) just because they didn't have decent clothing along.

Dan

The coldest I've ever been was landing with small drifts on the runway, dropped off our passenger and then discovering the brakes were froze on our C177RG and we couldn't move. Temp was -10 F and windy. I about froze trying to get it going. We really had no business flying that night.

I'll agree to the "frosted plugs" from the fire and fail first start. Did you taxi through and slush on the way to the runway to cause that brake to lock up?

Glad it released and did not cause any problems on landing in Texas. Sometimes the brake piston will not retract and release pressure, and then on landing you flat spot and possibly destroy a tire with the brake locked up, if you can keep it on te runway.

The hangar must have been unheated? Otherwise a preheat would not be necessary. Sure sounded like frosted plugs. And the brake - taxied through slush or wet snow? To freeze, need moisture. Unless the brake mechanism was sticking due to the cold.
Clothing - the closest to dangerous hypothermia I have been was in a 150 in Texas after a blue norther; not enough clothes on, the heat vent had been wired closed (Fla plane).

They said the hangar was heated... But maybe the plane was near the door and it was open for a prolonged period of time? I'm not sure. I did not taxi through any snow, but I have no idea what happened when they retrieved it from the hangar (that was out of my sight). I also have a suspicion it might have come into contact with some snow along the way.

I'll agree to the "frosted plugs" from the fire and fail first start. Did you taxi through and slush on the way to the runway to cause that brake to lock up?

Glad it released and did not cause any problems on landing in Texas. Sometimes the brake piston will not retract and release pressure, and then on landing you flat spot and possibly destroy a tire with the brake locked up, if you can keep it on te runway.

You know, that was worrying me the whole time while flying back to Texas. "What would happen if it stuck when landing?" My working theory was that initial contact of the wheel in that circumstance would overcome any sticking.

Also assuming no wheel pants on this plane correct?

Enjoyed the story.

Thanks for the suggestion. Actually, it has wheel pants.

What a story. So instructional, and so well told!

I'm glad there was an FBO with service right there for the OP. It could have been worse.

That is your problem! I do know wheel pants are not recommended for that reason.

Seems like some of my other suggestions were not so good ideas. Being from nc i don't really know any better. I figured the op already had wheel pants removed.

I had a nose wheel pant fill up with slush (removed mains, nose wheel is a PITA), froze in flight... made for an interesting landing when the nose wheel spins and rips off the valve stem.
My nosewheel pant is now removed :)

Great story! When I read the first part of the title "Report on a poorly dressed Texas pilot" I thought someone had found a picture of me :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

So, you checked and rechecked all the aviation weather reports and never once bothered to check the local non-aviation weather? You never bothered to ask around your airport for suggestions on a cross-nation flight?

I believe that sometimes a heated hangar can hurt you when it comes to this. The brake metal gets to ~60 degrees inside, you pull out on the ramp, roll through some slush, it melts cooling the brakes, then refreezes into ice.

Contaminated runway/taxiways with temps just around freezing are tough.

So, you checked and rechecked all the aviation weather reports and never once bothered to check the local non-aviation weather? You never bothered to ask around your airport for suggestions on a cross-nation flight?

Don't really understand your first question. Both aviation and non-aviation weather reports said it would be cold.

:confused:

As for your second question, I wanted to fly somewhere cold to learn from experience. I think I achieved that goal... I'm a business owner, non-aviation related. I travel a lot and some of my trips I will see if I can fly myself instead for the experience. I don't really need to ask around for ideas on where to go. But thank you for your concern and suggestions. :rolleyes:

I think "murphey" point was you knew you were flying somewhere cold and you weren't dressed for it and that surprised you how? I mean I've been to Florida lots of times in February....doesn't mean I wear my Ohio Parka around all the time I bring shorts and summery clothes.

Don't really understand your first question. Both aviation and non-aviation weather reports said it would be cold.

:confused:

As for your second question, I wanted to fly somewhere cold to learn from experience. I think I achieved that goal... I'm a business owner, non-aviation related. I travel a lot and some of my trips I will see if I can fly myself instead for the experience. I don't really need to ask around for ideas on where to go. But thank you for your concern and suggestions. :rolleyes:

Understand that "Murphey" is a rocket scientist of sorts and as a result her communications skill might be slightly slanted toward her particular field of endevour.

Perhaps what she really meant was that you should probably evaluate the weather forecast in terms of aircraft and personal needs along with flight planning. In other words, when going somewhere cold take your coat and if you haven't taken an aircraft there then ask folks who have (or at least think through the possible problems).

Us folks from Colorado are a little different when it comes to cold weather planning. Some of us carry a coat in our planes year-round. It goes with a mindset that says we should be prepared for just about anything 'cause we're likely to see it around here. And of course, the world would be a better place if everyone thought like we did! Okay, that last bit was an attempt at humour. It probably didn't work...

Thanks, point taken. I was actually wearing a jacket. Not a ski jacket by any stretch of the imagination, but a jacket nevertheless. My regret was not having a cap or something, and no gloves. I was not exactly wearing a t-shirt and shorts... :D

Thanks, point taken. I was actually wearing a jacket. Not a ski jacket by any stretch of the imagination, but a jacket nevertheless. My regret was not having a cap or something, and no gloves. I was not exactly wearing a t-shirt and shorts... :D

I understand. You're a new pilot and perhaps learning a new way of thinking things through and planing. Never let the aircraft go somewhere you haven't already thought about and planned for. It's part of the challenge of being a pilot and making good, safe decisions.

I ski Telluride every year .... the Great Lakes area seems colder to me (guess from the wet - also from Texas). Landed Flint Michigan years ago and they deplane to the tarmac. Winds were at least 25 mph and I was wearing a TON of stuff ... that dash to the terminal felt like I had no coat on at all. That's brutal cold up there

I've heard of alcohol being used to free up the brakes. It melts ice quickly, evaporates remaining moisture, evaporates itself quickly, and leaves no residue.

No personal experience with it, and I'm not sure about any possible consequences, but I've heard it talked about before.

Heh. Just for confirmation of the Colorado clothing planning...

There's two jackets and two pairs of gloves in my Yukon year-round. I can usually either pick the warmest stuff for my own use immediately or share it with whoever rode along who didn't bring the right stuff in a pinch.

Usually a hat too, but it appears that it has wandered into the garage. Hmm. Not as many good places to stash a hat. It's usually on the dashboard.

A spare fleece jacket is often clise at hand too. ;)

Temperatures, even in the summer, dip into the "he died from exposure" range after sundown here -- if you're up in the hills or out on the plains.

And, if I'm headed West, all that crap gets transferred to the airplane, even in Summer. I might get lazy and not take it once the nighttime temps stay above 60 or so. That's usually late June through August.

Some of the more Boy Scout mentality wear fishing vests with survival gear in them. The concept being that you may not be able to get at the stuff in the back of the airplane.

So yeah, we're probably all silently judging the clothing choices, not the rest of it. ;)

I purposely avoided commenting on it, since I'm the guy who likes wearing a light jacket year-round and hate dealing with the heavy parka.

But it's usually riding along in the back of whatever vehicle I'm in from Late Fall through Early Spring. It'd get whipped out if I were freezing my butt off on the ramp.

It's because of the wild swings in temperature here. It was 70 a couple days ago. It's 46 today.

Murphy and the rest of us lug around extra layers 75% of the year.

It's just a lifestyle. ;) Thus, why I hadn't commented. Newcomers to here pick up the habits pretty quick without any judging or even much comment from the rest of us.

To show how ingrained it is, you can often see me wandering around OSH with a jacket around my waist. Totally unnecessary in that climate at that airport.

Just extra weight and stuff to mess with when stopping to shoot photos every three paces. ;) ;) ;)

I ski Telluride every year .... the Great Lakes area seems colder to me (guess from the wet - also from Texas). Landed Flint Michigan years ago and they deplane to the tarmac. Winds were at least 25 mph and I was wearing a TON of stuff ... that dash to the terminal felt like I had no coat on at all. That's brutal cold up there

Agreed. Our cold is dry.

Midwest cold is 70% humidity or more. Rips right through you.

Back