Replacing Plastics

OtisAir

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
OtisAir
Hey Ya'll,

While unpacking after returning from Oshkosh, I put a small crack in the overhead plastic vent and light cover in my Cherokee. Can I replace that or do I have to hire some to do that?

I've looked around and found a couple of businesses that provide the parts, but certainly welcome suggestions if you have recommendations of whom to buy the cover from.

Here is a picture I found on the internet (not mine exactly but sort of close), but I wanted to make sure I was describing what you were seeing in your minds eye:
h99224-02.jpg

Thanks!

I repaired several of the plastic pieces on my Cherokee with clear epoxy and fiberglass cloth. Clean the back of the panel with soap and water and then with alcohol. Cut a piece of light fiberglass cloth to cover the crack. Mix a batch of clear epoxy, coat the area, press the cloth into the epoxy and then recoat the whole thing, working the epoxy into the cloth.
If the crack is small it will never show. If it does show, you can repaint the front of the panel with some matching spray.
All these items can be obtained at an auto parts.

Yes, you can change the part in accordance with FAR 43 as preventive maintenance and sign it off with your pilot certificate number. FAR 43.9 will provide what is required in the record entry or if you send me an e-mail I have a word document that explains and gives examples how to sign stuff off.

This is one of the simple non-complex items not involving special tooling.

Back