Replacing Headset Ear Seals

talkingbob

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
JonC
Hello everyone,

As the title states, I am curious if anyone found a trick for easily replacing ear seals? I am able to get the old ones off with minimal fuss, but putting the new ones on seems almost impossible...
What, if anything, am I doing wrong?

It would help to know what headset you're dealing with. I'm sure YouTube has some tutorials, have you tried that?

Sorry.
It's an ear seal made for a David Clark and I am trying to put it on a Telex Echelon Headset.

Also, yes I know YouTube Exists, but so far, I am not "getting it".

Sorry.
It's an ear seal made for a David Clark and I am trying to put it on a Telex Echelon Headset.
I think we might've just found your problem. Have you tried getting the correct ear seal for that headset? Maybe it doesn't fit because it wasn't made for it. o_O

Snarky much?
Seriously though. The cups look IDENTICAL, so there should be no issue, right? Sorry to be asking a "dumb question", but I have been trying all night to get this ear seal on!

Snarky much?
Seriously though. The cups look IDENTICAL, so there should be no issue, right? Sorry to be asking a "dumb question", but I have been trying all night to get this ear seal on!
Ear seals shouldn't be that hard to replace. If it's taken you all night and you still haven't gotten anywhere, than that's a good indication that it's not compatible. Any photo's?

I know, RIGHT!?!?!
I think I was my own worst enemy. Not exactly sure what happened, but I ended up doing something similar to the following video:

I think part of my problem was that I kept trying different methods. Also, I tried using a metal shoe horn, which was a complete waste of time.

With DCs, it always seems like it won't work and about the time I get frustrated it slips right on.

EXACTLY!
When it FINALLY went on, I was like, "it's not on" - haha.

Yeah, just did it recently - pull them ALL the way over the cup, don't try to line up and wrestle the little slot in the seal onto the lip of the cup.

Once you got the seal pulled over the cup, THEN pull the seal back, light pull, just a bit, and the }%^%# things will "self-align" the slot in the seal with the lip on the cup.

Back