replacing an IO-520A with an IO-520K

DKirkpatrick

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DKirkpatrick
Hello all. Anyone ever replace an IO-520A with an Io-520K Continental? Airplane is a 64 C-210, replacement engine is out of a Bellanca Super Viking. I'm assuming the engine is a core, guy guarantees the crank to be overhaulable... I'll major the engine. Just don't know if I need an STC, where to get one, is the reconfiguration of the engine accessories a big expensive deal?
Would appreciate the coaching. Somebody really knows the ins and outs of this, and I'd appreciate the experienced insight.
THANKS

If you're going through all the work anyways, why not shy of a killer deal, find a IO550?

too much money. too little return. the "K" is rated at 300 hp. for five takeoff minutes. That'll work just fine.

If you are overhauling the "K" it is very simple to convert it to an "A". There may be an STC to install an "F" 300 HP in the 210 and again the conversion at overhaul is simple. In my opinion based on a lot of hours in 285 and 300 HP C-206's turning it 2850 to make 300 HP for 5 minutes isn't worth the trouble unless you are flying out of a short or high elevation airport. Charlie Melot Zephyr Engines

Get the STC and I'd go for IO-550 but get a used one less expensive too!

ok. THANKS.
2 questions now... Are there big fitment issues with the IO-550 engine into the 64 C-210? I know it's the same size engine, but does it require alot of peripheral re-rigging... like new throttle and mixture cables, different motor mounts, etc? And where's the best place to get the STC? I've seen mouth watering IO-550s come up from time to time, and a major overhaul on this or the 520 is relatively the same dollars.
much obliged,
dan

I agree with Charlie regarding the 2850 RPM for 5 minutes. I spent close to 1,000 hours flying a 310 with IO-520-Es (same rating). The 2850 RPM mostly seemed to make more noise. There are some reports I saw that indicated that the 2850 RPM actually resulted in no increase in thrust for certain propellers, due to them operating at a less efficient RPM.

Unless you can specifically find an STC for installing a different engine in your plane (or if it is in the TCDS, which would be even better) you are probably best off trying to stick with the engine your plane has. You are highly unlikely to get a field approval for an engine change.

Ah, but we must not downplay the immense value provided by the sound of 300 horses behind a three-blade prop, scooting along the deck. At 0700. On a grass strip. Whilst hungover fly-in participants attempt sleep.

Ah, but we must not downplay the immense value provided by the sound of 300 horses behind a three-blade prop, scooting along the deck. At 0700. On a grass strip. Whilst hungover fly-in participants attempt sleep.

This is true. The IO-520K on the Viking does an excellent job of converting ground up dinosaur bones into noise. Whether that extra 150rpm provides a substantial amount of extra power is debatable, but it does produce extra noise. Who doesn't like extra airplane noise.

Also find out if the 520K has a non-VAR (stock old crank). If so there is an AD that turns the crank into an expensive doorstop. Can't reuse it at overhaul.
AD is 97-26-17 pushing off of Continental Critical Service Bulletin CSB96-8.

Chris

Last edited:
Back