Replacing a KLN94 with a GPS175

David Augspurger

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Dirtracer35
Replacing the old dead kln94 with a gps175. I am using a ksc525a with an IRU525 on the back of it.
Most of the pinout seems pretty strait forward except the connections for the OBS

On the kln94 I Have OBS out, sin, cos and return.

On the GPS 175 I have Rotor H Gnd,Rotor C, Stator G Gnd, Stator F, Stator D, and Stator E Gnd.

I assume that all the grounds are common so I would connect return pin from the KLN94 to ground
Maybe rotor C is OBS out, But I don't know which connection is sin and cos. If any of the experts have this info I would appreciate the help.

Thanks
David

This is from the 650 install manual, but it appears to indicate F is COS and D is SIN: (I'm a little surprised the 175 manual doesn't have the detail)

screenshot_16.png

Replacing the old dead kln94 with a gps175. I am using a ksc525a with an IRU525 on the back of it.
Most of the pinout seems pretty strait forward except the connections for the OBS

On the kln94 I Have OBS out, sin, cos and return.

On the GPS 175 I have Rotor H Gnd,Rotor C, Stator G Gnd, Stator F, Stator D, and Stator E Gnd.

I assume that all the grounds are common so I would connect return pin from the KLN94 to ground
Maybe rotor C is OBS out, But I don't know which connection is sin and cos. If any of the experts have this info I would appreciate the help.

Thanks
David

I thought this might help anyone else going from a Bendix/King KLN-94 to a Garmin GPS-175 to get the OBS resolver working with the existing KLN-94 wiring:

KLN-94------------------GPS-175
P942---------------------J1751
37 OBS RETURN----2 OBS STATOR H (GND)
34 OBS OUT----------3 OBS STATOR C
36 OBS COS---------25 OBS STATOR F
35 OBS SIN-----------44 OBS STATOR D
---------------------------24 OBS STATOR G (GND) N/C
---------------------------45 OBS STATOR E (GND) N/C

The only other issue when switching is the tray mounting screw holes from the KLN-94 do not line up with the GPS-175 tray so you will need to drill new holes.

Last edited:
Back